X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: plumbing physics question?

well actually it takes more pipe if it's curved. plus more sky hooks. lol. does the pipe go through paris, france or houston, tx? or some other path? breid...............

Comment

Just as a reminder, the above statements are only true with static pressure.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: can

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
        pic #2. capillary action. in a 2.0 m(6.6') pipe ca is .014 mm. in a 2 cm(.79") pipe ca is 1.4 mm. breid..................
        I think breid wins. Does everyone want to be right, or almost right?

Breid, will the capillary action/meniscus vary as to the pipe material?

J.C.

Comment

jc

good question. not as far as i know. been a long time since i studied any of this. i would say not as ca is directly proportional to the diameter. but that doesn't mean that there are not other things at play, that i don't remember. i left college in 1965. as for meniscus, well if you were to change the properties of the straw who knows. i want to say that in physics class we cut off a straw and made it shorter than the glass. then set there with an eye dropper and keep adding drops until we got the straw to have a convex meniscus. the water was "crowned" above the straw. i'm NOT in college anymore, so you are on your own. breid.................

Comment

...the water was "crowned" above the straw. ...
            This I believe is due to surface tension/molecular attraction of the water. Impurities in the water and other factors can influence its behavior.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
            X