X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Plated Toilet Supplies

Is there any disadvantage compared to the stainless steel flexible supplies? Is it just the stainless steel is a little bit easier. I was a bit (pleasantly) surprised to see that the chrome plated ones were half the price. Just wondering if there is a compelling reason for one to use the braided one, aside from saving a couple minutes.

Re: Chrome Plated Toilet Supplies

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    Is there any disadvantage compared to the stainless steel flexible supplies? Is it just the stainless steel is a little bit easier. I was a bit (pleasantly) surprised to see that the chrome plated ones were half the price. Just wondering if there is a compelling reason for one to use the braided one, aside from saving a couple minutes.
    Charles, if installed correctly, a chrome one is far superior.

The braided ones will fail quicker. I have no idea why a professional plumber would use a braided supply unless a rough in is done way wrong for the toilet. Or they are wanting repeat business for the early failure.

I went to PEX supplies years ago because I would have a weeper at the 3/8" nut for some reason once in awhile. Even after flushing 10 times and watching it for 10 minutes. I usually place a pieces of toilet tissue, cardboard, or something that would show any drop under it while I loaded the tools.

Come back, nothing. Then once in awhile a customer would call with a drip there. That's a free trip waste of time/money on my end that I hate.

Reluctantly changed to PEX because it also felt unprofessional to me.

Never had one problem with a PEX supply. And I am checking here and with others I know all the time to make sure noone else is either. If I start to hear of any problems, then I will go back to the chrome supplies.

J.C.

Comment

I use both pex and chromed copper. Depends on the job as to which I choose. Never stainless braided.

Comment

I love chrome.
        Attached Files

Comment

chrome tubing/ spaghetti was all we had up until the mid 70's. then came the chrome corrugated flexes and then the braided plastic followed by the braided stainless flexes.

here's the way i see it.

if a toilet tank is loose, the flex will absorb the movement without damage to the connector or the shank of the ballcock. with hard tubing, the ballcock or nut will take the beating.

the stainless braided flex is susceptible to damage from chlorinated products. the newer lookalike ones are a polymer that looks looks like the stainless, but is resistant to chemicals. same as the pex. but pex is new out here.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            chrome tubing/ spaghetti was all we had up until the mid 70's. then came the chrome corrugated flexes and then the braided plastic followed by the braided stainless flexes.

here's the way i see it.

if a toilet tank is loose, the flex will absorb the movement without damage to the connector or the shank of the ballcock. with hard tubing, the ballcock or nut will take the beating.

the stainless braided flex is susceptible to damage from chlorinated products. the newer lookalike ones are a polymer that looks looks like the stainless, but is resistant to chemicals. same as the pex. but pex is new out here.

rick.
            Can't say I buy this at all. Out of all the loose/rocky tanks I've encountered I've never ran into the ballcock and nut "taking a beating". Never.

One could say that the solid connection actually stabilizes the tank on the other end of things.

J.C.

Comment

Around here a lot of cities will not give you a choice. They want the solid copper supplies be them chromed or not.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Can't say I buy this at all. Out of all the loose/rocky tanks I've encountered I've never ran into the ballcock and nut "taking a beating". Never.

One could say that the solid connection actually stabilizes the tank on the other end of things.

J.C.
                remember we use to have brass ballcock shanks and ballcock supply nuts. now i'm lucky to see 2% brass shanks. everything is plastic nuts and shanks.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Any and all flex lines are on my list of homwowner crap that we never install anywhere. I see them as yet another crap product that only gained a foothold because homeowners can hack them in with no tools and no talent. I, however have the tools and the talent and can spare the 6 extra minutes it takes to cut and fit a solid supply.

Rick; If'n the toilets a rockin ya ought to be a fixing the flange.

Plumbers beware: You keep on embracing this get er done quick and easy crap and pretty soon you'll all be at the Micky D's asking folks if they want fries with that.

Nails in the coffin
                  sigpic

Comment

Chrome ones are nice if you have the talent to install one neatly like Nh stated earlier. I also feel you on the occasional weeper. The ones that I have had leak the most after leaving, are the off color ones, like Oil rubbed bronze, ect. I dont know if it is the plating they use on those or what.
                    www.seminoleplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Any and all flex lines are on my list of homwowner crap that we never install anywhere. I see them as yet another crap product that only gained a foothold because homeowners can hack them in with no tools and no talent. I, however have the tools and the talent and can spare the 6 extra minutes it takes to cut and fit a solid supply.

Rick; If'n the toilets a rockin ya ought to be a fixing the flange.

Plumbers beware: You keep on embracing this get er done quick and easy crap and pretty soon you'll all be at the Micky D's asking folks if they want fries with that.

Nails in the coffin
                      just did one friday. tell me a 4x3'' bottle into a 4x2'' closet flange set 2'' below the tile.

yanked the leaded ring and attempted to install a 4x4 caulked on ring and a 4x4 instant set ring. neither one would fit the 4x3 bottle. had to die grind the pipe that's 2'' below the floor.

best part was trying to track down the 4x4 caulked on ring. called 3 different supply houses and between them i found 1

continue living in the past while my supply houses get rid of the old and bring in the new.

try buying durham fittings other than a 22,45, 60, 90 or coupling. even that's asking a lot.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X