Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are those flow check valve and swing check valve important?

We did oil to gas conversion last November (http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29244). The boiler is Burnham Alpine. The plumber told me he would follow the manufacture's instruction (see the attachment please) to layout the pipe. I just found he didn't put the Flow Check valve on the top left and the Swing Check Valve before the Boiler Loop Circulator.

Are those check valves important or not? Do I need to ask somebody to add them in?

thanks,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by housecarer; 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM.

Re: are those flow check valve and swing check valve important?

did he pipe the system with circulators or with zone valves. If zone valves the flow checks arent neccessary, or the cirulators may have the flow checks built in like these:

http://flopro.taco-hvac.com/products...20&category=53

Comment

[QUOTE=wrench spinner;311318]did he pipe the system with circulators or with zone valves. If zone valves the flow checks arent neccessary, or the cirulators may have the flow checks built in like these:

This ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        did he pipe the system with circulators or with zone valves. If zone valves the flow checks arent neccessary, or the cirulators may have the flow checks built in like these:

http://flopro.taco-hvac.com/products...20&category=53
        He did the system with circulator not zone valves. The zone circulator is Taco 007-F5-12 which has no integral flow check. The Boiler Loop Circulator is Taco 007-F5-1IFC which has integral flow check. I guess he forgot that flow check valve.

needs to be added in?

Comment

If you had summer/winter hook up, I would say without a doubt there should be a flow valve installed. Straight heat only (didn't look at the diagram) you may have to install a flow valve, so the heat doesn't drift to one of the other zones that's not calling for heat. But if you had zone valves on straight heat only...you don't need a flow valve. If you only have one zone (which I doubt you do) then it's a non issue.
          Last edited by Flux; 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM. Reason: Cause I didn't look at the darn diagram

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            If you had summer/winter hook up, I would say without a doubt there should be a flow valve installed. Straight heat only (didn't look at the diagram) you may have to install a flow valve, so the heat doesn't drift to one of the other zones that's not calling for heat. But if you had zone valves on straight heat only...you don't need a flow valve. If you only have one zone (which I doubt you do) then it's a non issue.
            Based upon his first post..... he has one zone. Moot point.... no need for any check valves.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29244

Why are you so uncertain about your installers work? Just wonderin?

Comment

Didn't realize there was another thread with this boiler in question. After seeing those pictures, I do not care for the way the boiler is piped at all..especially the auto feeder! If the Plumber was going to to that, he should of used the Amtrol fill-trol set up, and back feed the boiler if he wanted too.

1 zone is a moot point, and I don't understand why this guy keeps asking these questions about his installer.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                Why are you so uncertain about your installers work? Just wonderin?
                read from other place which says the flow check valve is important if you use circulator. after checked mine, no flow check valve was installed. so ask here to see if that valve is really necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  I don't understand why this guy keeps asking these questions about his installer.
                  There are lots of REAL experts here. Check with their opinon and ask them questions can learn a lot. For example, I learnt from you that one zone circulator layout is ok without check flow valve but check flow valve is important on multiple zones circulator layout.

When I add more zones, I will ask plumber to add that check flow valve in. I want to be an educated user.

Comment

Our point is maybe you shouldnt be using your installer if your doubt his knowledge abilities and judgements so much. maybe you should interview your installer based upon his know how so you can rely on his judgements as opposed to a website of real EXPERTS who arent at your house that are able to see all the reasons your installer may have had to do what he had to do.

we cant see what he does so it isnt fair for us to judge what he knows. this is the reason that you hire someone based upon what the know, not how low their price seems to be.....

Comment

Working...
                    X