Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Repairing a one inch pvc pipe connection to a pump

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
    I have seen the heat swelling thing hundreds of times here in Florida. It happens a lot when homeowners or sprinkler guys put pressure switches on self priming centrifugals. Water level drops a couple feet and the pump can no longer make the max pressure needed to open the switch points and it nukes. In the meantime the pipe swells and the fittings actually shrink. You can twist the fittings that were put in with a pipe wrench with you bare hands after one of these events.

Remember; thin wall as we call it, or 160 as others call it is the same physical diameter outside as the SCH 40 and SCH 80. It's the inside that is different.

I'm not sure why your trying to dry fit the fittings though, just eyeball and cut. PVC is very forgiving.
    Thanks for the tip. I have never seen it. Then I though about it and realized noone ever runs any type of PVC off of a jet here.

Always metal or black PE.

J.C.

Comment

Should I cut the pipe back further from the pump and hope that this cut would work with a new fitting?
      I don't see where you have any other choice. I would start at the pump with a new 1-1/4" male adapter, a 1-1/4" X 1" slip x slip bushing then some new 1" pipe all the way to your new cut. If the coupling will start onto the pipe at your new cut, your good to go. Don't try to push the fitting on all the way without glue; you will have trouble getting it back off.

If your using clear PVC cement, you have time for a quick push on, a half turn twist and in a couple more seconds you can turn on the water cause it'll be one piece and immovable.
      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Speedbump,

Would "heat" be the only reason thin wall PVC would increase in diameter over a period of time? I am wondering if a system holding 50 psi pressure would cause thin wall PVC pipe to expand over a period of time thus causing the fitting problem I have experienced?

Comment

Nope, not pressure alone. You have the raise the temp of the PVC. I'm not sure at what temperature this has to be as I'm never around a customers when this takes place. I'm sure it's above 125° though.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

not frozen as bhd said, it goes CCRRAAAACCKK lengthwise, usually. i work on hog (all type of animals) confinements. they plumb them with pvc not cpvc. yes right in and out of water heater. that's when i get there. all pvc out gets yanked. it swells up like sausages between fittings. several feet on inlet also, depends how much is ballooned then some. they crank the thermo, then run the hot thru a pressure washer. the people that install will not return. they will be several states away. nobody else will work on animal houses. pays well, real well. breid............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
              not frozen as bhd said, it goes CCRRAAAACCKK lengthwise, usually. i work on hog (all type of animals) confinements. they plumb them with pvc not cpvc. yes right in and out of water heater. that's when i get there. all pvc out gets yanked. it swells up like sausages between fittings. several feet on inlet also, depends how much is ballooned then some. they crank the thermo, then run the hot thru a pressure washer. the people that install will not return. they will be several states away. nobody else will work on animal houses. pays well, real well. breid............
              Pressure washer hooked up to water heater,got it tanks Tool
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

well not straight from wh but from the slop right next to it. they temper the water some. cooks the pvc to sink. have had several like that. breid...........

Comment

Working...
                X