Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: average cost to do plumbing in new home

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    You can build a 3 story home with out sprinklers there ??????
    I'm pretty sure some townships in my area require sprinkler systems, but it all depends on what code they follow. Some Plumbers here do sprinkler systems, but mostly that is done by sprinkler companies out here.

Comment

He said 3 full baths plus 1-1/2 in the basement.

How in the H#ll do you get 3/4" PEX with it's I/D fittings to match a code book.

I'll even let you use Captain Crunches'

You cannot tell there are not problems with water supply or interruption.

Comment

Rick, Downunder we have pressures upto 300psi not far from me. Too much I know. I prefer to limit to 500 - 600kpa max. 3/4"mains here too

Comment

You guys aren't seriously sizing the supply piping based on the incoming pipe size are you? got to do a fixture load calculation. run the numbers and then you will know how big the piping must be.
          sigpic

Comment

i guess they install a tankless and the limiting factor is the 7gpm the heater puts out

every fixture has a waste and water unit count. sounds like we're on the same page for waste fixture counts, but the water fixture units are way, way, off.

we're sized for the possibility that everything will be used at once and still maintain the minimum required pressure.

my bathtub is a 3/4'' valve alone.

larger properties have 1.5'' or 2'' meters. older properties have 5/8'' or 3/4'' meters, while the common homes have 1'' meters.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              We rarely see anything over 3/4" here for a home, but then again, we are so far in the woods I'm surprised we even have indoor plumbing.
              I lived in Kittery, Maine for a time when I was in the Navy. The plumbing wasn't the issue. Snow and cold was. (So now I live in Minnesota )

That said the toilet in the solitary confinement cell in the (long retired) Naval prison in Portsmouth was a hole in the floor. So, maybe you live close to New Hampshire????
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                You guys aren't seriously sizing the supply piping based on the incoming pipe size are you? got to do a fixture load calculation. run the numbers and then you will know how big the piping must be.

I came up with 3/4" for main and 1/2" to all the fixtures......... the inner diameter of the pex fittings really do not play apart in the flow as much as one would think...........pex is up to all the codes in pa,ohio,wv. Im licensed in all three states. I run copper and pex both, which ever the customer wants i run it. i run type-K copper outside underground and bring it in to manifold and then go from there with 1/2" pex. depending on the load of the fixtures i run 3/4" throughout the enitre house. And if i run copper throughout the enitre house i use type-L only.. But as i stated earlier here in pa and wv, and most of ohio the main coming in is usually 3/4" , i have done service work in homes that were 9,000 square foot , and they had 3/4" pipe for main and had not issues at all with pressure or anything........... the only places i have seen 1" or higher is really big commercial complexs, and high rise appartments in some areas...
                Last edited by Joe the plumber; 10-06-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flat350 View Post
                  1" is more the norm around here in new work with some larger S.F. getting 1 1/2",but I've also have seen a 1 1/2" service come in and get stuffed thru a 5/8" meter too in the Elgin area.

Yep. I think it all depends on what part of the country you live in and what the city codes are... every state is different. some places do not allow pex period!. but in ohio, pa and wv pex is becoming very popular. im old school and like to run copper. But in the past 3 or 4 years 70% of the residence in my area want the pex installed. and they like the fact that if you are certified through uponor (aquapex), uponor will offer a 25 year warranty on the pex right off the bat... so far i have not had any issues with the pex by uponor. it has been fairly easy to install and so far reliable, but we will see how it holds up in the future..

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    No, that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that here in Nunya we have thousands of houses that I didn't plumb but have worked in. Not uncommon for it to be a 50' to 100' run to the house. 3/4" meter and copper supply line.

Usually 2 bathrooms. 1 with 2 lavs.
                    3 lavs.
                    2 toilets.
                    2 tub/showers.
                    1 kitchen.
                    2 hosebibbs.
                    1 water heater.
                    1 washing machine.

Sometimes an extra fixture.

PRV at around 65. Sometimes no PRV.

Regardless of the math, no problems. Not one complaint.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      I lived in Kittery, Maine for a time when I was in the Navy. The plumbing wasn't the issue. Snow and cold was. (So now I live in Minnesota )

That said the toilet in the solitary confinement cell in the (long retired) Naval prison in Portsmouth was a hole in the floor. So, maybe you live close to New Hampshire????
                      During my asbestos and lead abatement days I did a lot of work at Portsmouth. That prison was the creepiest looking place I've ever seen. Glad I never had to work in it, gave me the willies just driving by.
                      I got moved out of the CI area after 3 guys $hit themselves in containment and I refused to go back in and started asking questions. They put on a job in the hotel close to the prison. If they had put me in the prison i think I would have just said "OK I'll take my chances and go back to th CI area"
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

if I have my math right that house has 23 openings/fixtures including WH and DW. Does your 19,000 include the sewer and water lines outside?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          joe, don't know about your neck of the woods, but 3/4'' water main would serve a single hose bibb

out here it's more like a 1.25'' main. with a pressure regulator set to 65#.

rick.
                          I thought LA had a water scarcity problem? Wonder why.

For the most part, in the houses I've worked in, in Minnesota, and Connecticut the mains are 5/8" if they are in the city, original and old (1920s or such). They're 3/4" in the cities if they're prior to the mid seventies. They're essentially 1" if they're newer than that.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Have owner provide cut sheets for fixtures they are supplying so you have a good idea of labor involved at trim time. Been burned installing junk bought by owner over the internet by unheard of brands where every part comes totally disassembled and no instructions.

Comment

Working...
                            X