X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• average cost to do plumbing in new home

hello. i have a question. I understand it all depends on what part of the country you live in. but here is my question. i do mostly service work. ripping out old sewer lines and water lines and ect and replacing them. but i have not put any bids in on doing any plumbing in new construction in a long time, so my question is what is the average cost that a good plumber would bid on a 3 story 3600 square foot new home to do all the plumbing. the customer is providing all the fixtures i will be installing all the fixtures. i would be running uponor pex for water 3/4" coming in and 1/2" going to all fixtures. i will be doing the sewer line also 4" coming in. and the gas is only going to going to his water heater and range , i would be using black pipe for the gas. the house has 4 bedrooms the master has a full bath. there are 3 full baths including the master. and 1 - 1/2 bath in the basement. he alson has 3 car garage. he wants a pex manifold in basement for home runs to each fixture. Im sure there are alot of plumbers in the forum who do alot of new construction. and any good feed back would be great, I just dont want to over bid or under bid. so if i can keep my bid in the middle that would be great. the customer is only getting 3 bids on this so i only have two others to compete with.......... Thanks...
    Last edited by Joe the plumber; 10-05-2010, 01:14 PM.

Re: average cost to do plumbing in new home

joe, don't know about your neck of the woods, but 3/4'' water main would serve a single hose bibb

out here it's more like a 1.25'' main. with a pressure regulator set to 65#.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

We rarely see anything over 3/4" here for a home, but then again, we are so far in the woods I'm surprised we even have indoor plumbing.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

$22k.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          $22k.

J.C.

Thanks J.C. that sounds like a fair average quote... I was going to put in $19,000, but i thought it was a little on the low side, thanks for the quick response. it has been at least 9 years since i had to put in a bid for new construction, normally a bigger firm will put in the bid and call me to give them a helping hand so i never get to know how much there bid was. i get so busy doing service calls that i steered away from the new construction for the longest time. now im starting to get back into doing a few and just wanted to make sure that i did the proper bidding.. Thanks again...
          Last edited by Joe the plumber; 10-05-2010, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            joe, don't know about your neck of the woods, but 3/4'' water main would serve a single hose bibb

rick.

Thanks rick. out here in PA, the incoming water line from main is usually 3/4" . some pressure at certain areas are 120psi coming in but i usually add a pressure regulator and leave it set at the factory setting of 50 psi, i have not yet had an issue... when i go over to ohio i sometimes see 1.25 coming in on some of the commercial buildings. but for the most part it is mostly 3/4" coming in from the main....
            Last edited by Joe the plumber; 10-05-2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

1 & 1/4" for single residential? NO WAY here. 1" is pushing it and rare. 3/4" copper is standard incoming.

I've seen 1 & 1/4" for 15 unit apartment buildings in Toronto!

Comment

rick.
                Really Rick? I'm seriously asking. We have thousands of houses on 3/4" meters, 50'+- yard, less than 80 psi, and no problems.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

80 psi? WOW, you will never get that in Toronto...NO WAY! *NEVER* 40-60 maybe. The house I just finished putting 1" copper K in had 5/8" copper with 45 PSI (and it was fine for the house...1,800 sq feet)

Comment

3/4" cop in most the houses here you find 1" in a few
                    1" pvc from the meter to the house is the norm

Comment

1" is more the norm around here in new work with some larger S.F. getting 1 1/2",but I've also have seen a 1 1/2" service come in and get stuffed thru a 5/8" meter too in the Elgin area.
                      EVERYBODY HAS LEAKS ,JUST DON'T HAVE YOUR"S ON MY JOB !

Comment

Originally posted by Joe the plumber View Post
                        hello. i have a question. I understand it all depends on what part of the country you live in. but here is my question. i do mostly service work. ripping out old sewer lines and water lines and ect and replacing them. but i have not put any bids in on doing any plumbing in new construction in a long time, so my question is what is the average cost that a good plumber would bid on a 3 story 3600 square foot new home to do all the plumbing. the customer is providing all the fixtures i will be installing all the fixtures. i would be running uponor pex for water 3/4" coming in and 1/2" going to all fixtures. i will be doing the sewer line also 4" coming in. and the gas is only going to going to his water heater and range , i would be using black pipe for the gas. the house has 4 bedrooms the master has a full bath. there are 3 full baths including the master. and 1 - 1/2 bath in the basement. he alson has 3 car garage. he wants a pex manifold in basement for home runs to each fixture. Im sure there are alot of plumbers in the forum who do alot of new construction. and any good feed back would be great, I just dont want to over bid or under bid. so if i can keep my bid in the middle that would be great. the customer is only getting 3 bids on this so i only have two others to compete with.......... Thanks...
                        I think it was the history channel, but they had a special on about everything Plumbing. When they came to the price of what Plumbing "should" cost in a brand new home, they said 17% of the cost of the home, in which I almost choked on my soda while watching.

But if you're providing pipe-fittings-small material and labor, you're definitely in the ball park for what you posted and I'm in Pa. We would probably be a few thousand higher for what you listed above, because you're also doing the sewer.

If you're going up against a "track home" Plumber...you don't stand a chance.

Comment

rick.
                          It's all 3/4" with the occasional 1" or higher out here for residential.

3/4" to a hose bib would be considered "over kill" out here.

Comment

For us here it is anywhere from 3/4 to 1 1/2 for a residential service. Most hosebibs are 1/2 and pressure varies from 35 to 110 psi.

I have heard that 750 per fixture but I think that could be off some, especially if they are oddball fixtures.

If there are any custom showers, you could spend anywhere from a couple hours to a day and a half doing it.

Good luck with your bid.

Comment

You can build a 3 story home with out sprinklers there ??????
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X