X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bath tub drain

The wife wasn't feeling good and decided to take a hot bath. When she tried to flip the stopper, it wouldn't budge. It is the kind where the stopper is internal (no pop up). It has been at least 10 years since anyone has tried to use it--always take showers. Is there any easy way to loosen it or do I have to take the whole thing apart? And no, I don't have access to Plumber Rick's supply of equipment!

Re: Bath tub drain

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
    The wife wasn't feeling good and decided to take a hot bath. When she tried to flip the stopper, it wouldn't budge. It is the kind where the stopper is internal (no pop up). It has been at least 10 years since anyone has tried to use it--always take showers. Is there any easy way to loosen it or do I have to take the whole thing apart? And no, I don't have access to Plumber Rick's supply of equipment!
    Take the screw out of the overflow and spray about 1/4 can of your favorite penetrating oil in there. Let sit. Then put the screws in and see if works. Doubt it will. Don't force it.

Might have to take the assembly out and clean/repair/replace.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks, J.C. I will give it a try.

Comment

10 years without use is the issue. the brass on brass is a problem.

try vinegar or coke too. if you pull on the linkage and the bucket stays below, then you need a good coat hanger with a hook on the end to try and snare the bucket from the top/ overflow.

i've had good luck with the micro explorer to hook and position a hanger.

when you do get it out., sand and polish the brass bucket, then lube it and it should be fine.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Just an update--Tried all the suggestions-none worked. Next step is take it apart and try to repair or else replace. Thanks again.

Comment

PULL HARDER nothing to lose now

Comment

Using WHITE VINEGAR I managed to get one unstuck. One gallon from Wal-Mart.
              Poured in drain and overflow.
              With each treatment I rapidly tapped the linkage with a small hammer.

Once out, I thoroughly scraped it with a knife but never oiled it.
              Wanted to use silicon spray but could not find it.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

get a heavy coat hanger or 1/8'' welding rod. take a pliers and bend the last 1'' into a hook with a 1/2'' gap opening. as you insert it into the overflow. you'll feel the bucket, just push a little farther and it will hook under the cross for the linkage. with a vice grip you should be able to pull up and force out the bucket. especially if you let it soak with the concoction of products.

if the welding rod/ hanger bends, try again or get a thicker hanger/ welding rod. never had 1 that didn't come loose.

what's for dinner end of the week

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  get a heavy coat hanger or 1/8'' welding rod. take a pliers and bend the last 1'' into a hook with a 1/2'' gap opening. as you insert it into the overflow. you'll feel the bucket, just push a little farther and it will hook under the cross for the linkage. with a vice grip you should be able to pull up and force out the bucket. especially if you let it soak with the concoction of products.

if the welding rod/ hanger bends, try again or get a thicker hanger/ welding rod. never had 1 that didn't come loose.

what's for dinner end of the week

rick.
                  Baked walleye! I live on a lake, you know. (Sorry Badger Dave)

Comment

i thought you lived on a farm

moo moo or oink oink is more me

rick..
                    phoebe it is

Comment

try a #4 solid bare ground wire. i have sucked them dry with a wet vac, then poured what ever penetrating oil i had around in. have also used phosphoric acid. breid..............

Comment

Update: Poured a can of Coke in the overflow yesterday. Tried the lever and still no go, so I got the coat hanger again and thought I would give it one more try. It popped out with a minimum tug!! Polished it up, put a light coat of lubricant on it and put it back. Everything works fine! Thanks again for all the assistance.

Comment

Working...
                        X