No announcement yet.

Boiler Books?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler Books?

Nobody around here for me to get experience from so are there any Boiler Books you can recommend.

Re: Boiler Books?

this is relevant to my interests.

/watches this thread intently
    Originally posted by NHMaster3015
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

I'm not sure if there are Boiler books on the market, but my suggestion would be to get all of your information online if you can't find books.

Most Boiler Manufactures have piping diagrams that they would like you to follow, but you could use it as a guideline. The way I pipe a boiler will be different from someone else, but the theory will be the same. You're always going to have a feed and a return, and an expansion tank. Some states require you to install "low water" cutoff's incase the boiler leaks and this control shuts down the boiler. Some boilers need to have flow check valves for certain scenarios. Some guys are circulator fans and the others use zone valves.

I always "back feed" my Boilers, because "automatic feeds" do fail, and if the boiler needs water, you can use the valve on the back feed, piped into the return line, to add water to the system.

Piping or trimming out a Boiler will be the easy part for you guys to learn.

If I were you...I would rather have books on Hydronic Heating..not boilers.

If you're dealing with Oil...that's going to be the part that will take some time to get to know. I'm quite sure ALL Oil burner manufactures have classes..but the problem will be it's mostly in "cold weather "states, and you will have to check. There classes are normally one day classes to familiarize yourself with their residential burners. Beckett and Carlin definitely have classes. I know for a fact Beckett has stuff on their website to educate. I have yet to fully go through Carlin's website.

To be quite honest, when it comes to oil, it's good to get with a guy who works for an Oil company. I was fortunate that my father worked for an Oil company for 5 years, before he broke into the Plumbing trade.

Gas is a much easier animal imo, and can go on any gas burner manufactures website (Midco-Wayne-powerflame-heat wise..etc) and learn about their burners.

Other then that, Boiler controls (for both Oil and Gas) would be something for you both to learn. Controls are nothing more than switches, and understanding electricity would be more than half the battle for trouble shooting them.

Like we said in another thread...a combustion analyzer will be your best friend. I finally talked my father into getting one, because he comes from the "eye warrior" era, where all he needed to do was look at a flame and make his air adjustments and take a smoke test. (for Oil). Well my dad ate some humble pie this summer for the first time in his career, because this new Solaia boiler we installed..he couldn't see the flame. The boiler kept shutting down and going off on reset once we left, because excess air was knocking the flame out.
      The Beckett rep came out and put one of his controls on it (The genisys burner control) because we didn't have an analyzer, and he didn't bring one either. He agreed with my father that even he still "eye balls" the flame, but with today's need an analyzer. These analyzers will tell you what efficiency your boiler is running at CO - CO2 - etc.. They are expensive..but well worth it.

I'm sure us Heating guys (both Oil and gas) could sit here and come up with a list of tools and instruments you will need.

I'm not sure how cold it gets where you guys live, but it will be another hat for you both to wear, if you get into Heating.

I've been around Heating as long as Plumbing, and I still have a "ways" to go on the Heating side of things. It's always good to have someone to bounce questions off of, because Heating problems sometimes can be complex.

Good Luck.
      Last edited by Flux; 10-07-2010, 12:00 AM. Reason: To add more information

There is an entire library of boiler and heating related resouce materials there

nh is spot on with click on ask questions and ask. learn the controls and the electricity. learn the hows and the whys. the real fun starts when you looking at a unit that is not functioning properly. somebody has been creative with installation. if you know the hows and whys its a piece of cake. breid..................