X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Drain Pipe Leaching

I have a house I am working on that has 1950 Galvanized black drain pipe that is leaching along the horizontal strait. There are spots that appear to be leaks causing crystal/granulized spots about 1/4 inch deep ans 1" around. When touched the material flakes off. Besides the obvious replacment technique what can be done to clean this pipe and seal it for a few more years.

Dan Lawerence of Root X refered me here.

Re: 1950 Drain Pipe Leaching

Where is the pipe at?

There are epoxy liners that might be able to be done. If you can put your hands on it though, yank it out and replace it.

J.C.

Comment

I am looking for an exterior fix. Money is tight on this project.

Comment

Originally posted by 126Lee View Post
        I am looking for an exterior fix. Money is tight on this project.
        Where is the pipe?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Where is the pipe at?

There are epoxy liners that might be able to be done. If you can put your hands on it though, yank it out and replace it.

J.C.
          We talked about the obvious spot repair, a sewer line replacement, using a pipe patch, relining. But Lee asked about a resin or other I was not sure and told Lee to ask you guys. It was an interesting question and I was curious to find out as well.

Now JC you said an epoxy liner, I did a Google search and found Sewer Guard TG Epoxy Liner. It's a grout like product that seems to be what Lee is asking about. Any of you guys ever use these product and are they any good? Obviously a repair would be best which Lee and I both talked about but just for discussion purpose what do you guys think about these kind of products?

Comment

Ok, last time. Where is the pipe located?

J.C.

Comment

Ok, last time. Where is the pipe located?

J.C.
              It's in the basement. When we were talking he was looking right at it and describing the issue to me. At least that is the way it sounded.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                It's in the basement. When we were talking he was looking right at it and describing the issue to me. At least that is the way it sounded.
                My god man. Cut it out and don't be putting no kind of VooDoo Mighty Putty paste on it to "fix it".

I repair what other people "fix" all the time.

P.S. "...black galvanized with problems on the horizontal....." Fishy.

J.C.

Comment

My god man. Cut it out and don't be putting no kind of VooDoo Mighty Putty paste on it to "fix it".

I repair what other people "fix" all the time.

P.S. "...black galvanized with problems on the horizontal....." Fishy.

J.C.

That's why I said we talked about the obvious choice to repair it. But for curiosity sake, I asked him to post the question he asked me. Now I think it was in the basement but I need Lee to confirm that, hopefully he responds here soon.....

I guess for worst case scenario, can't get to problem area or limited access would a patch or a epoxy of some sort be a good option or would you just suck it up and do the repair somehow?

Lee if you get a chance could you post a picture if you can please?
                  Last edited by DanLawrence; 10-06-2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                    That's why I said we talked about the obvious choice to repair it. But for curiosity sake, I asked him to post the question he asked me. Now I think it was in the basement but I need Lee to confirm that, hopefully he responds here soon.....
                    Sorry if I sounded cranky. When I hear basement I usually think DREAM JOB!

I have made what sounds like his repair many times. But I have to crawl 50 foot and drag all of the tools. Over two A/C ducts and under two more that are 10" off the ground.

Then I get to the workplace and it's about 15" from ground to floor joist. And the pipe is failing, right? And no-one calls until they smell it. So you know what? That means I have to make that repair 50' away through all the ductwork in a 15" space.....while laying in the black water.

So when I hear someone trying to get around a proper repair in a basement!

It lights my azz up.

J.C.

Comment

GRAB A SHOVEL MAN ! Ain't that big a deal !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

"black galvanized". where i'm at that could be black, galvanized or cast iron pipe. then not to leave out others abs and pvc. most people can't tell the difference between black and ci even when it's used together......................................... try fernco "pow-r wrap". have never used it but i have used other fernco prods. maybe someone on here has used it. breid........................

Comment

Working...
                        X