X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sludge receptacle" 22x22-inch square bowl flushing utility "toilet"

Saw them in the 1960's in some Virginia campground bathrooms.

White, vitreous china, flush rim with large water pool in the square bowl.
    Flushed just like a toilet. No tank -it used a typical public restroom toilet flush valve. (I do not knowhathose are called.)

Above the bowl were hot and cold water valves which fed into a spigot with garden hose thread.

They were labled "Sludge Receptacle" for emptying travel trailer toilet holding tanks by bucket.

Thank you.

Robert

Found two fixtures: http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...subcategory=80
    http://www.americanstandard-us.com/c...-cover-plates/
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-19-2010, 07:20 AM. Reason: Added illustration
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: "Sludge receptacle" 22x22-inch square bowl flushing utility "toilet"

Yes. I've installed them. Hospital device.

J.C.

Comment

An old hospital we take patients to, (I am with a volunteer fire department), is moving to a new complex.
      If they have one, maybe I can remove if from the old building.
      In a basement showeroom of the original building, they have some strange old urinals. Probably 5 gpf!
      I would not doubthathey have female urinals!
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-19-2010, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Not sure exactly what they're called but every hospital I've ever worked in has one in the dirty utility room, we generically refer to them as "flushers". They have an oversized trap, probably around 4 inches or so, the suckers will take wash clothes and even hand towels, I know, I've sent some pretty nasty ones down them....

Anyone have a link to a manufacturer?

Comment

Re: "Sludge receptacle" Clinical Service Sink (utility toilet)

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
          Saw them in the 1960's in some Virginia campground bathrooms.

White, vitreous china, flush rim with large water pool in the square bowl.
          Flushed just like a toilet. No tank -it used a typical public restroom toilet flush valve. (I do not knowhathose are called.)

Above the bowl were hot and cold water valves which fed into a swivel spigot with garden hose thread.

They were labled "Sludge Receptacle" for emptying travel trailer toilet holding tanks by bucket.

Anyone know about these?
          Are they still made?
          Links?

Thank you.

Robert

Addendum:
          Found two: http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...subcategory=80
          http://www.americanstandard-us.com/c...-cover-plates/
          I just repaired one last month, and still need to bill for it. Thanks for reminding me!! I've always known them to be called "bedpan washers". The nursing home calls it a "soil" sink. (located in a "soiled" linen closet)
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Re: "Sludge receptacle" Clinical Service Sink (utility toilet)

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            I just repaired one last month, and still need to bill for it. Thanks for reminding me!! I've always known them to be called "bedpan washers". The nursing home calls it a "soil" sink. (located in a "soiled" linen closet)
            I'd like to replace the utility sink I illegally installed in the garage with this "toilet" with hot and cold water faucet above the bowl. The laundry room sink is otherside of the wall and below it is a 3-inch PVC horizontal pipe I could tap into.

Comment

That would be a step up from a sink /urinal

Just how far is your bathroom from the garage door

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                That would be a step up from a sink /urinal
                Just how far is your bathroom from the garage door
                My wife is Chinese.
                Before entering our house, I must "sterilize". Also no shoes worn inside the house.

As a filthy chimney sweep who also gets dirty and greasy working under the vehicles, this would save much trouble needing to get to a bathroom.
                (To prevent a third kidney stone attack, I'm drinking more water.)
                If I could build a house, as part of the laundry room from the garage I'd have a shower, sink and toilet before the clothes washer andryer.
                A clinical sink would be very useful.
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-17-2010, 12:34 PM.

Comment

My wife is Chinese.
                  Before entering our house, I must "sterilize". Also no shoes worn inside the house.

As a filthy chimney sweep who also gets dirty and greasy working under the vehicles, this would save much trouble needing to get to a bathroom.
                  (To prevent a third kidney stone attack, I'm drinking more water.)
                  If I could build a house, as part of the laundry room from the garage I'd have a shower, sink and toilet before the clothes washer andryer.
                  A clinical sink would be very useful.
                  Is getting a new wife is out of the question?

Seriously though. It sounds like you have a 3" line under the area you have a laundry sink. Why not create a very small space for a toilet, and then get a cast iron utility sink for your handsink. (the cast costs more but is vitreous and will clean up better in the long run than a polystone laundry tub)

Comment

Is getting a new wife is out of the question?
                    I paid too much for her to obtain a visa, then green card and then to become a citizen.
                    Why not create a very small space for a toilet, and then get a cast iron utility sink for your handsink. (the cast costs more but is vitreous and will clean up better in the long run than a polystone laundry tub)
                    I would not want to track stuff into the house and also sully the powderoom.
                    A clinical sink on a pedestal would take the place of the utility sink and allow additional uses.
                    Had thought of it, but no room for a toilet in the garage unless it could be one of those prison toilet/sink combinations.

SUICIDE WATCH: Combo toilets are designed to prevent inmates from hurting themselves.
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-19-2010, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Grrr... you just reminded me of the horrors of working at the jail...

inventory every tool
                      run your id on arrival (make sure your tickets are paid before showing up to work, or you'll stay longer than you expected to)
                      every door locked
                      10-15 min ordeal to go get a tool you forgot to bring in the first trip because of all the doors
                      every fastener tamper-proof
                      no power outlets
                      no access to anything except in undersize pipe chases

spent an hour with a hammer arrestor up my butt (at least it kept me from falling) wedged in the upper half of a two story chase there a while ago. I'm quitting the cigs (again) and have put on about 10lb. 15 and I'd have never got in, or never got back out.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

spent an hour with a hammer arrestor up my butt... and I'd have never got in, or never got back out.
                        There HAS to be a joke in here somewhere...

Comment

inventory every tool
                          run your id on arrival (make sure your tickets are paid before showing up to work, or you'll stay longer than you expected to)
                          every door locked
                          10-15 min ordeal to go get a tool you forgot to bring in the first trip because of all the doors
                          no power outlets

spent an hour with a hammer arrestor up my butt (at least it kept me from falling) wedged in the upper half of a two story chase there a while ago. I'm quitting the cigs (again) and have put on about 10lb. 15 and I'd have never got in, or never got back out.
                          What is a "hammer arrestor"?
                          Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

What is a "hammer arrestor"?
                            You never saw "Shawshank Redemption"
                            Attached Files

Comment

I work on the jail one county over. about as unpleasant a place to work as it gets.

inventory every tool
                              every door locked
                              no power outlets

No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X