Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I cut power to hot water heater before replacing shower faucet valves?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I cut power to hot water heater before replacing shower faucet valves?

Hey Guys. Thanks for the advice on the valve repairs. Going in now. Do I need to cut power to hot water heater? I once heard that with water supply interrupted, if level drops in water heater, I could burn up an element. I don't want to start a chain reaction that could end my reign as King Of The Toolbox. She will be home in a few hours. Thanks.

Re: Do I cut power to hot water heater before replacing shower faucet valves?

anytime the water is off on the heater, it's a good thing to shut the gas or power if it's going to be off for 30 minutes or more. especially if it calls for heat and the valve is closed and all the fixtures are also closed. the heat will cause thermal expansion and possibly cause the relief valve to leak.

but if you have the faucet open on the fixture you're working on or a different lower fixture, then there's no pressure build up.

your electric heater elements are submerged in water and even the upper element would require a good 15% of tank volume to drop before the element would get dry. not going to happen

but a gas heater had a vent to worry about and you don't want the internal flue to overheat. heater have an anti siphon dip tube and typically will not drop the level below the top 1'' of the heater. on the gas units, i will turn them to pilot if i have them off for a long period.

always, always turn off a circulating pump if you have 1. and then bleed all the air from the lines before you turn the pump back on.

long answer for a basic question

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. All set to go in. Inventory includes, sockets, valve washers, screwdriver, life preserver, Epirb....

Comment

yes. breid.......................

Comment

Thank you very much. Job went great. My home-repair status climbed two notches, according to the family.

Comment

Thanks. Job went off without hitch. No explosives needed

Comment

Working...
            X