X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing water storage tank - no heater needed

I had an Energy Kinetics 2000 system installed 4 years ago, that was connected to an existing older hot water tank. The EK system produces the domestic hot water in the boiler and uses the tank for storage only (btw, I HIGHLY recommend this system). Now, the tank has started to leak and needs to be replaced. It seems that all the popular water tanks on the market include a heating element, which is not needed here. So, here is the question: Price-wise, does it make sense to pay for that unnecessary heating element, or is it better to hold out for a storage-only tank? Also, what is the best place to find a storage-only water tank that gives a good price-to-quality ratio?
    Last edited by dqg; 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM.

Re: replacing water storage tank - no heater needed

what size tank and what was the price quoted.

depending on the price, an electric heater might be cheaper than a storage only tank.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

So far I've only been quoted the labor rate (everything but the tank itself), at $400. This sounds steep, so now am doing more research before moving on. This is not an emergency, I've disconnected the tank so it's no longer leaking, and my heat is working without the tank, only the domestic hot water is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by dqg View Post
        I had an Energy Kinetics 2000 system installed 4 years ago, that was connected to an existing older hot water tank. The EK system produces the domestic hot water in the boiler and uses the tank for storage only (btw, I HIGHLY recommend this system). Now, the tank has started to leak and needs to be replaced. It seems that all the popular water tanks on the market include a heating element, which is not needed here. So, here is the question: Price-wise, does it make sense to pay for that unnecessary heating element, or is it better to hold out for a storage-only tank? Also, what is the best place to find a storage-only water tank that gives a good price-to-quality ratio?
        The tank with no heating element is leaking after four years? Maybe it's still under warranty. If you bought a residential electric water heater it would still be under warranty. Depending on how large the tank is, I would install an electric water heater. Then you have a cheap backup system if the boiler ever goes out.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Could I ask why you feel $400.00 is High ? Do You Have any Idea what the overhead is in our trade ?
          Last edited by toolaholic; 10-14-2010, 12:20 AM. Reason: I'm sober again,I think
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

He probably had an older standing pilot gas water heater when the EK-2000 was installed. It has a heat exchanger the heats and circulates water through the boiler. His old heater is just used as storage now.

Now you should get a storage tank but that will be expensive especially if you think $400 is too much money Call around to local plumbing supply places and ask if they have a scratched or dented electric heater laying around. Most do! and you can get a pretty good deal on those. Now would be a good time to flush the heat exchanger also before it scales up too much.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              He probably had an older standing pilot gas water heater when the EK-2000 was installed. It has a heat exchanger the heats and circulates water through the boiler. His old heater is just used as storage now.

Now you should get a storage tank but that will be expensive especially if you think $400 is too much money Call around to local plumbing supply places and ask if they have a scratched or dented electric heater laying around. Most do! and you can get a pretty good deal on those. Now would be a good time to flush the heat exchanger also before it scales up too much.
              Sears scratch and dent warehouse ! I've seen appliances that have NO damage at great savings
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i don't want to sound stupid but i will. what type of plumber are you? i know they aren't particular after all they let me on here. you were quoted $400.00. if you are a plumber why the the quote, can't you do it yourself? have you tried your supply houses? google "hot water storage tank residential". i can see a cheap water heater in your future. lol. breid....................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  i don't want to sound stupid but i will. what type of plumber are you? i know they aren't particular after all they let me on here. you were quoted $400.00. if you are a plumber why the the quote, can't you do it yourself? have you tried your supply houses? google "hot water storage tank residential". i can see a cheap water heater in your future. lol. breid....................
                  Breid ,thank you WTF MAN! YOUR A PLUMBER ,RIGHT ???

Comment

They are very popular around here we call them aqua boosters. Superstore makes one. Also John Wood has one that is pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
                    X