X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing water heaters with Vinegar

I have flushed instant water heaters like Rinai's with Vinegar. Has any one done this on a say 40 gal water heater with good results? I'm going to try it next week. I have a two year old water heater with alkai up to the gas control sensor already. (yes I'm researching soft water solutions for this customer) I'm going to install bypass valves and fill a 5 gal bucket with vinegar and ciculate it through th system.
    Last edited by yolorepairmaster; 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM.

Re: Flushing water heaters with Vinegar

Originally posted by yolorepairmaster View Post
    I have flushed instant water heaters like Rinai's with Vinegar. Has any one done this on a say 40 gal water heater with good results? I'm going to try it next week. I have a two year old water heater with alkai up to the gas control sensor already. (yes I'm researching soft water solutions for this customer) I'm going to install bypass valves and fill a 5 gal bucket with vinegar and ciculate it through th system.
    " The water in our area is so hard it's self sealing "

Comment

... I'm going to install bypass valves and fill a 5 gal bucket with vinegar and ciculate it through th system.
      I buy WHITE VINEGAR by the gallon from Wal-Mart.
      Will you drain the tank down to the control valve to create the strongest solution with the least dilution?
      How long can you let it work? Hopefully days.
      Leave an escape for pressure build-up from the chemical reaction.
      If the drain valve becomes clogged, can you insert a wire to free up debris?
      Please share youresults withis experiment.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

How old is the water heater?

What do you expect the end cost in labor and materials to be?
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          How old is the water heater?

What do you expect the end cost in labor and materials to be?
          He said two year old heater but my question is: how does he know that there is alkai on the sensor unless he has drained it already? If he's drained it, should have cleaned it then

I see your point about labor and materials.... when all is said and done; he could have had a new one installed

Comment

if you put the supply water on a softner it will clean the heater,,,i have drained and added 2-3 gal to break up the bottom scale then let it flush out the drain , be ready the clean the strainers and the washer lines

Comment

Plan is to drain it it and just use 5 gallons or so to keep level above probe on gas control. Mixed Vinegar solution from Costco. I can't leave unit down long as it is occupied. I'm going to heat solution at low temp and circulate with sump pump for a few hours. It will be next week we'll see how it goes. I'm going to put netting around pump to keep debris out and then pour what I have when finished into another bucket. I hope to see how much sediment I get out but if it disolves into the vinegar I might not be able to tell.

Comment

Unit was overheating and I pulled gas control and found it surrounded by sediment. 2.5 years old

Comment

Working...
                X