Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumphouse Heat questions-

Howdy everyone -

I'm in a project I'm unfamiliar with and I thought I'd ask first. This summer, to solve access issues, I built and finished an outside/connected pump house for a small cottage I'd like to rent out. Now it's getting colder and though I've worked hard at insulating it (2x6 studding, R19 Batts and finished with 1" Dow hard foam at R6.5, on a 4" cement pad) I'd like to put some sort of heater in it. this area is listed as Zone 6 by the USDA, (or so I've read) so it gets chilly (I've seen -20 for a few days on occasion).

The well head, located about 100' away and in a covered pit about 3' deep has a 60w bare bulb for heat.

The connection between the main house and the pumphouse is two holes of about 3" each (they share a wall).

I've been thinking about a cheap work light at Home Depot-

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I'd replace the 250w with a 150w and see what happens. I like the idea that it might be more water resistant than a bare bulb. That might keep out any moisture and the usual spiders too.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd really appreciate it if you'd share them. I'm just flying by the seat of my pants here.

Thanks for the assist-
    Mark

Re: Pumphouse Heat questions-

One thing I can add is that light bulbs don't last forever and even if it's enough heat when lit. When it goes out, your going to have a major repair on your hands. I would like a little more assurance than just one bulb.
    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

thanks for reminding to get on my pump house this year. bump is right, 1 bulb will not get. one of anything is dicey at best................i use a 75w heat lamp on all the time with a 75w heat lamp an a thermostat as back up. make your back up your on lamp next year. i also have wireless thermometer that i watch several times a day when cold out. if i had a common wall i would not have any of that stuff. i would chop the wall open. if still worried i would have small fan or pump house heater. i made my ph as small as possible, so i have no room for a heater. if you use a thermostat get one from grainger or supply house. no big box cheapies. remember this is a rental not your house. maybe they will watch it maybe not. who knows............. one of my property managers had a problem with tenants that wouldn't keep an eye on their ph. i wired a fire bell to a separate thermo. went off at 4 am, they were a lot more attentive after that. lol. breid...................

Comment

replace the on bulb yearly or both. breid...................

Comment

Buy a small ceramic cube heater with a thermostat, that way you dont waste energy heating when not needed.

Comment

Never trust a light bulb.

Could heat tape be directly attached to were it is effective?
            Or some kind of radiant element or heater which has a thermostat?

Heatape is nice because it shuts off when not needed and it puts heat right where needed.
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
              Never trust a light bulb.

Could heat tape be directly attached to were it is effective?
              Or some kind of radiant element or heater which has a thermostat?

Heatape is nice because it shuts off when not needed and it puts heat right where needed.

Thanks to everyone that told me NOT to use a lightbulb so-
              The lightbulb idea is OUT.
              I don't think I could use heat tape on the pressure tank and pump,
              though . . . it might be possible.

I found a fan/heater combo at Mal-Wart for $15. I was standing there with the cheap heater, getting ready to put it in the new pumphouse with the new tank, wiring, pump etc and thought nooooo. Cheap solutions for expensive situations don't usually work.
              Does anyone have any experience with (don't laugh) chicken coop heaters? How about reptile heaters?

http://www.shopthecoop.com/chickens/He.html

Or

http://www.infraredheaters.com/petwarm.htm

I figure I've got about two or three weeks to get it right, after that, I'll just drain the system until it's rented.
              Here's a couple of images of the P/H -

Comment

Nice looking Pump House.

I really don't know about heaters, since I'm in Florida, but somebody else might have some info.

The biggest problem I see is that you put a quality pump on top of a piece of junk tank. The tank is to protect the pump from cycling itself to death, and I can promise you it will happen soon with that Flotec tank. We change out more Flotec tanks than any three others combined.
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

one could also put a freeze alarm in the unit and the buzzer in the house,

why not just put in a small section of electric base board type heater, with a proper thermostat,

the other would be a "milk house heater"(there free standing),

I my self just like the idea of it set or attached to some thing that so it does not get knocked over or moved to a unsaved location, so why I suggest a base board type heater,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i have had several instances where thermostatically control outlets have malfunctioned. 1 at my house. lol. bhd is spot on. you have plenty of room for a strip heater. get a line voltage thermo 240v. an alarm is good also. did you insulate the floor? well that can be a problem. the frost will go under the house and freeze a slug in the inlet from the well. i get a few every year. breid.............

Comment

I'd be more worried about that pump. I HATE deep well jet pumps with a passion.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Before my Hunting cabin got burnt down
                        I used a light bulb with out any problems i changed the bulb every 30 days
                        My pump house was similar to yours ...Just above my pump i staggered 2x2 and covered it with visqueen down to the ground to hold the heat around the pipes

Comment

Working...
                        X