Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas?

I have to put in a pot filler for someone. (Please no code lessons on drains, thanks.)

I was thinking of having a stainless receptor made to put under it at the wall for any drips. Think breadpan maybe.

Good? Bad? Any other ideas or things you've used?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Ideas?

What's a "pot filler"?
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

a faucet coming out of the wall above the cooktop. so you can fill pots without carrying them from the sink to the stove afterwards.

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
      What's a "pot filler"?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I have to put in a pot filler for someone. (Please no code lessons on drains, thanks.)

I was thinking of having a stainless receptor made to put under it at the wall for any drips. Think breadpan maybe.

Thanks.

J.C.
        Save some grief and install a pot filler that doesn't drip.

OK. Seriously. The pot fillers I've seen have two valves, one at the wall/deck and one at the end of the spout. So dripping shouldn't be a problem. But having a catch pan sounds like a good idea to me if you have the room. You could even make a pan to hold spices and what not, but it would be there to catch a drip or two. Why not.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          Save some grief and install a pot filler that doesn't drip.

OK. Seriously. The pot fillers I've seen have two valves, one at the wall/deck and one at the end of the spout. So dripping shouldn't be a problem. But having a catch pan sounds like a good idea to me if you have the room. You could even make a pan to hold spices and what not, but it would be there to catch a drip or two. Why not.
          Most I've seen do. This one only has one.

Thanks for the input.

J.C.

Comment

Even though there's only one valve on this faucet, is there a good ball valve shutoff on the feed line? I've seen wall faucets that were installed without bringing one out. If a slow drip develops, the homeowner can just shut the feed line off. So if there's a good shutoff I wouldn't bother with the drip pan. In case of a more serious leak, if no one's around... it doesn't matter anyway.

If there's only one valve on the fixture and no shutoff, I wouldn't put that faucet in.

I agonized over the "no drain" problem with mine... even though it has two valves on the fixture and I plumbed it with a shutoff. I tried but just couldn't squeeze in a pasta sink next to the cooktop. Finally dawned on me that the pot filler is it is probably quite a bit less less risky than the hoses to the washing machine. Any time I'm going to be away for a while, I turn the washer valves off.... and now the shutoff to the pot filler, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
              Even though there's only one valve on this faucet, is there a good ball valve shutoff on the feed line? I've seen wall faucets that were installed without bringing one out. If a slow drip develops, the homeowner can just shut the feed line off. So if there's a good shutoff I wouldn't bother with the drip pan. In case of a more serious leak, if no one's around... it doesn't matter anyway.

If there's only one valve on the fixture and no shutoff, I wouldn't put that faucet in.

I agonized over the "no drain" problem with mine... even though it has two valves on the fixture and I plumbed it with a shutoff. I tried but just couldn't squeeze in a pasta sink next to the cooktop. Finally dawned on me that the pot filler is it is probably quite a bit less less risky than the hoses to the washing machine. Any time I'm going to be away for a while, I turn the washer valves off.... and now the shutoff to the pot filler, too.
              Anytime our family is away from the house for any length of time (a weekend or longer) I shut the water off at the water meter. Then I open a lav faucet, hot and cold, for a second or so to relieve pressure. We don't have an automatic lawn irrigation system so that's not a concern for us. That's not the case with many households.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M;313853[COLOR="Red"
                ]Even though there's only one valve on this faucet, is there a good ball valve shutoff on the feed line? [/COLOR] I've seen wall faucets that were installed without bringing one out. If a slow drip develops, the homeowner can just shut the feed line off. So if there's a good shutoff I wouldn't bother with the drip pan. In case of a more serious leak, if no one's around... it doesn't matter anyway.

There will be. They have a basement! A miracle around here. Dream job....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  a faucet coming out of the wall above the cooktop. so you can fill pots without carrying them from the sink to the stove afterwards.
                  A previous owner enclosed the back porch and put in an indoor gas barbeque.
                  Rather than smell up the house, my wife cooks fish and other smelly foods in that second kitchen.
                  I managed to get 220V run under the floor to a two-burner flat stovetop which sets in the barbeque opening. The cooktop can be easily unplugged and removed to use the barbeque.
                  I was considering running a water line to it with a little garage sale-purchased bar sink which wouldrain through the wall to the back yard. (No way to get a drain line under the floor above the porch cement pad to the basement. Only 1/2 inch space above the cement floor to floor joists. )
                  Since she uses that room in winter for cool storage, that line would have to be drained in very cold weather.
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-17-2010, 09:51 AM.
                  I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                  It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                  "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

beverly hills doesn't allow a pot filler without a drain built into the cook top. so the majority are ruffed in behind the wall to be exposed afterwards

they all have a main shutoff and a spout valve.

make sure to have proper backing to support the heavy hands

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Thanks.

J.C.
                      I'm gathering that this is residential. I guess that's just not in vogue here. I can't really envision it. All I can think of is commercial kitchen... they just have those big deep stainles sinks. Mop sink comes to mind as well.

Would they be happy with/would it be easier to just get them a big deep kitchen sink they can fit a pot in?
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Is this what you are needing?

Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        Ron's Facebook
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks everyone. I know the different types of pot fillers. And the double shutoff type.

I was just thinking for myself. Noone else asked for a pan of any kind underneath it. I was just thinking (maybe too much) of all the faucets I've installed where an aerator would hold a drop or two in tension that would slowly come out.

The customer, for whatever reason, has a Chicago Faucet with only 1 lever. I'm betting I'll be looking for the end lever for them soon.

Thanks again.

J.C.

Comment

If it's a Chicago you shouldn't really have many issues.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              I'm gathering that this is residential. I guess that's just not in vogue here. I can't really envision it. All I can think of is commercial kitchen... they just have those big deep stainles sinks. Mop sink comes to mind as well.

Would they be happy with/would it be easier to just get them a big deep kitchen sink they can fit a pot in?
                              I have a big ol' undermount Kohler kitchen sink I need to move. Shaped like a D with no middle barrier. One big bowl.

Offered it as an option to the customer. No dice.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X