RIDGID Power Spin Drain Gun Caused me a $1200 damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIDGID Power Spin Drain Gun Caused me a $1200 damage

Thanks for the reply Dennik.Good luck.I hope your able to go awhile.Maybe in the meantime you can do some research in your community and find the good town plumber.Start at the mom and pop plumbing supply.

The Yellow pages and Internet are where the thieves prey on the unknowing.Especially the $49.99 drain guy

Comment

I have read this thread a number of times, and the title really bothers me,

yes in my shop I have a radiator hose that has a tag on it and written on the tag is this is a $1000 dollar hose, and show it to some people when they come in,

as miss leading as my tag is so is the title here, yes a pin hole in the radiator hose caused $1000 worth of damage to my combines engine, and in the process ruined the head of it,

but the truth is it was not the hose fault, it had rubbed on a bolt head and caused the pin hole, and 105 degree day was not helpful either as well a some poor design in that the combine under normal conditions would run warm, right at red line, and the hose was many years old, passed the manufactures recommend life span,

but the truth was I did not inspect the hose and replace it when it was needed,

my error cause me the loss, my failure cause me the problem, of not doing proper maintance and inspection of the unit before use,

~~~~~~~~~~~

first of all, you had/have a bad spot in the drain, as of yet not sure what the problem is, or the why, but you knew that and bought a tool you hoped would be cheaper than hiring a professional to inspect and to attempt to fix, and there is nothing wrong with that, I do that too, but because the tool failed being used by an inexperienced person, on a drain that most likely was larger in size that what was recommended by the manufacture, and the estimate or possible future cost to properly repair is now the fault of the tool,

~~~~~~~~~~~

it is no more the fault of the tool as the radiator hose is to blame on my combine engine failure, (yes both items failed but not the result of them selves),
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        I have read this thread a number of times, and the title really bothers me,

yes in my shop I have a radiator hose that has a tag on it and written on the tag is this is a $1000 dollar hose, and show it to some people when they come in,

as miss leading as my tag is so is the title here, yes a pin hole in the radiator hose caused $1000 worth of damage to my combines engine, and in the process ruined the head of it,

but the truth is it was not the hose fault, it had rubbed on a bolt head and caused the pin hole, and 105 degree day was not helpful either as well a some poor design in that the combine under normal conditions would run warm, right at red line, and the hose was many years old, passed the manufactures recommend life span,

but the truth was I did not inspect the hose and replace it when it was needed,

my error cause me the loss, my failure cause me the problem, of not doing proper maintance and inspection of the unit before use,

~~~~~~~~~~~

first of all, you had/have a bad spot in the drain, as of yet not sure what the problem is, or the why, but you knew that and bought a tool you hoped would be cheaper than hiring a professional to inspect and to attempt to fix, and there is nothing wrong with that, I do that too, but because the tool failed being used by an inexperienced person, on a drain that most likely was larger in size that what was recommended by the manufacture, and the estimate or possible future cost to properly repair is now the fault of the tool,

~~~~~~~~~~~

it is no more the fault of the tool as the radiator hose is to blame on my combine engine failure, (yes both items failed but not the result of them selves),
        As I said, I learned from my experience, and it sure was my fault.
        I eyed the pipe to be an inch and a half, which was the upper limit for the wire. But in reality, it was 2 inch diameter and as someone mentioned, probably going up to 4 inches further down the line. Since the companies making these tools, intent to help make life easier for fixing things around the house, they should also mention something like "Using this tool in the wrong size pipe, may cause a lot of stress on the wire and snap it." But that is not the worse part. In my case, not only it snapped, but also coiled and vanished into the pipe! Talk about a freak accident! If only I realized the potential damage this would cause for the drain, I wouldn't even buy a power driven tool in the first place. My point is, along with the usual safety precautions written in the manual, maybe they should mention the potential risk of very costly damages.

Comment

Originally posted by dennik View Post
          Hey everyone, thanks for your comments, helpful or not. The end of story is probably more dull than you'd expect. I called one Rooter from around the neighborhood and he came with an old manual plumber's snake (but at least it was the right diameter for the job) He tried a couple of times not with a retrieving auger but hopping it would just wrap around the broken piece, and pull it out.
          It didn't happen, but in the process he unclogged the pipe a great deal, so its running much better now.
          Before you'd see the water backing up from the drain just because I turned on the faucet upstairs. Now with the faucet turned on, I purred a bucket of water in the drain, and it flushed right away. So technically speaking, its working better than when I bought the house 5 years ago even if there's a broken piece of 1/4 inch snake in there. I'm sure it will probably build up sludge and clog more easily now, but for now this has to do.
          However I did learn a lot from this experience. Just fixing things around the house in general, even if its frustrating most of the time, sometimes you succeed sometimes you don't. But you learn either way!
          I'm sure Plumber Rick will be happy to come help. () He's always ready to travel. Still... California's a long way to go for a drain.

Seriously though, Dennik, even if your drain is operating properly right now, the snake cable is going to rust, and may well "grow" into the drain line. Far and away, the easiest time to get that cable out is NOW. You need to find a plumber or drain cleaner with a small retriever auger. They could perhaps run that down with a micro camera to help grab the broken cable.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

yes you defiantly want to grab it before it start to rust up and becomes hardened into the line. for safety i would run a camera to see the end and assist in grabbing the end of the cable. grab too far down and you'll have 1 cable attached to the other while 1 end pulls out your way and the other end catches a wye or a tee

not sure if there should be a warning on a hand machine as the warning should be experience counts. if you're not familiar with drain cleaning, you could hurt yourself or your plumbing, or worse

i'm more afraid of all the rental tools they rent to the general public with little to no training. i've learned from both the trade and my seniors, learning as you go is never a good idea.

once again, find a good referral with the proper equipment and they should have no problem getting it out.

i'm sure i could get it fixed for under the $1200. which includes the air fair as long as you pick me up from the airport and feed me too

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

go to www.marcosnakes.com. powerplus f300. 1/2" cable and hand crank. here you are and there you go. breid...................

Comment

I agree with Geno, mostly because he has a cool name and partly because he's right.

I'd think any drain cleaner worth his salt should be able to retrieve this cable.

How far is the floor drain from the foundation wall closest to where you suspect the sewer line exits your home?

How much cable do you think you put in the floor drain?

I don't have much to go on but I'm going to a wild guess your cable is stuck in roots, just outside the foundation.
                The flat snake that was used only moved the roots around and you will be clogged again in the very near future.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by dennik View Post
                  As I said, I learned from my experience, and it sure was my fault.
                  I eyed the pipe to be an inch and a half, which was the upper limit for the wire. But in reality, it was 2 inch diameter and as someone mentioned, probably going up to 4 inches further down the line. Since the companies making these tools, intent to help make life easier for fixing things around the house, they should also mention something like "Using this tool in the wrong size pipe, may cause a lot of stress on the wire and snap it." But that is not the worse part. In my case, not only it snapped, but also coiled and vanished into the pipe! Talk about a freak accident! If only I realized the potential damage this would cause for the drain, I wouldn't even buy a power driven tool in the first place. My point is, along with the usual safety precautions written in the manual, maybe they should mention the potential risk of very costly damages.
                  well glad to here the drain is flowing better but as said befor I would think about removeing the cable now befor it rusts and you have no choice but busting up the floor how far were you in when the cable snaped? good luck
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Well the product page clearly states its a light duty machine for up to 1 1/2" lines. I do not know about you but after reading what size lines a product is for I would make sure I am using it on said sized line.

I mean come on, would you use an undersized wrench to try to take apart something, or an under sized saw? Or would you use a wood saw to cut steel pipe? A wood saw if not properly used can cause damage. It can cause personal injury, death or property damage if not used for its intended use. But I can buy a wood saw all day long and they do not come with detailed instructions or safety warnings of every passable way of not using it improperly.

Here is a few screen shots of warnings and such in the instruction manual for the drain cleaning machine you purchased. If you couldn't figure out from these warnings and the clear instructions with great pictures of the drains this was intended to clean, maybe you should leave the drain cleaning to the professionals.

There is lots of warnings in there telling you that you can hurt yourself, others or even damage the drain, machine or break the cable.
                    Attached Files
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ron, All that means nothing to those who buy those little under sized hand cranks.
                      Because Youtube taught them how to be expert's with expert youtube advice
                      How many of those have you pulled out of drains or find kinked in a corner some where? hundreds I bet
                      Last edited by UnClogNH; 10-23-2010, 09:16 AM.
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Oh here is one more from the instructions warning you about running the cable in to a larger drain.

Attached Files
                        Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                          Ron, All that means nothing to those who buy those little under sized hand cranks. Because Youtube taught them how to be expert's with expert youtube advice How many of those have you pulled out of drains or find kinked in a corner some where? hundreds I bet
                          I agree with you 100% Its just the original poster stated that there should be warnings about the risks of damages. I am just pointing them out to him. I find people in general do not read the instructions, and when they do they skim past the warnings and such.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Here is one more, after you broke your cable you should of turned to the troubleshooting section of the instructions.

BTW I am not posting these warnings and such just to be an a$$. Its to help others realize that there is a right machine for every job. It still amazes me when people comment on how large my machine I am using is to clear the drain lines. My response to them is the right machine for the right job. It makes for a quicker and more efficient and proper drain cleaning.
                            Attached Files
                            Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              I agree with Geno, mostly because he has a cool name and partly because he's right.
                              My sister's name is Gina. My mom wants my grandkids to call her Gigi.
                              I think of it as name provenance.

You might be a member of the family.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                                I find people in general do not read the instructions, and when they do they skim past the warnings and such.
                                We men NEVER read instructions, it's beneath us because of an ego issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X