X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID Power Spin Drain Gun Caused me a $1200 damage

I doubt anyone can help me out of this problem, but there it goes...
    I bought the RIDGID Power Spin Drain Gun from Home Depot to help unclog my basement drain pipe. Its a quarter inch snake drum that can be driven with a variable speed drill
    Its a finished basement, and the floor drain is backing up water whenever excess water comes either from upstairs dishwasher, kitchen sink, or the washer in front of it.
    There is still some limited flow however with a lot of water coming down, it forms a smelly pool of water down there.
    Anyway... Within a few minutes of use, the snake snapped and coiled inside the pipe.
    I can't even see it within the first foot of the pipe which is as much as the eye can see before the pipe turns. So what can I do now?
    Its an old metal pipe about an inch and a half diameter running under the concrete slab to the main line.
    I'm obviously not a plumber, but I would appreciate if you guys can educate me about problems like this and what can be done. I don't want the plumbers coming, to take advantage of the situation. One already quoted me $1,200 for a day's work, breaking the slab and replacing the pipe. Nobody really gave me much hope for retrieving the broken piece of snake from inside the pipe or cleaning it without breaking the floor.
    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: RIDGID Power Spin Drain Gun Caused me a $1200 damage

It might be worth a try to take a larger cable with an auger head or a retriving augur head like the Ridgid 55457 to see if you can grab that cable. The problem is if you tweaked it up so bad that it broke, it may not pull out easily!

Comment

Make this a sticky for using the right tool for the right job! I am sorry about your bad luck, but if you read this forum this is exactly about what us experts warn!

Comment

The machine you purchased is undersized for the job, once that 1 1/2" pipe enters the floor it increases in size normally 4". I get more calls from home owners not wanting to hire a pro to clear the drain and renting or purchasing a rodder and breaking the cable in the drain.

If you can find a pro that will use the right machine with a retriever auger he can hook the broken cable and retrieve it from the drain. Then have him rod the line properly to clear the line for you. Other than that your other option is to bust open the floor.

I wish you luck.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by dennik View Post
          I don't want the plumbers coming, to take advantage of the situation. One already quoted me $1,200 for a day's work, breaking the slab and replacing the pipe.
          Go back to Home depot and ask them.

Comment

K60 to the rescue

The best laid plans of mice and Home Depot oft go awry
            sigpic

Comment

you seriously phrased it like this when asking plumbers for their expertise? yes, it's possible to retrieve the cable, but you aren't going to do it safely. if the line has enough issues that it already broke one cable "that was too small for the task" then the plumbers aren't taking advantage of you, they are providing a service to help correct your foolish mistake.

Originally posted by dennik View Post
              I don't want the plumbers coming, to take advantage of the situation. One already quoted me $1,200 for a day's work, breaking the slab and replacing the pipe.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I was just in WS last Friday. Bet I could have gotten it with the PowerSpin. AND not have broken it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  you seriously phrased it like this when asking plumbers for their expertise? yes, it's possible to retrieve the cable, but you aren't going to do it safely. if the line has enough issues that it already broke one cable "that was too small for the task" then the plumbers aren't taking advantage of you, they are providing a service to help correct your foolish mistake.
                  About that service.... The first company I called in to inspect the damage, didn't try a thing (so much for $59 visit and inspection fee) all they did was to talk on the phone for 20 minutes to some other "experienced" guy explaining the situation, just to get his confirmation that they needed to bust the floor. Must be a new inspection by phone service. Then they wanted to charge me $199/hour to do the job, I thought what the heck, its 2 guys and lots of manual labor. I'll buy it. Then they took off to get the right equipment for this. They were gone for more than an hour. I called their headquarters and said "If you think I'm paying $199/hour for your commute to get the right tools, you are obviously mistaken". Apparently that's what they expected from me the foolish homeowner. So when they came back, they said they are not even going to charge me the $60 visit fee, and I can give the project to someone else. Good thing they said that, cause I was an inch away from kicking their butts out of my property.

Comment

snaking a drain is like fishing. a true fisherman knows the right pole and tackle for the fish they're going after. it took years for the fisherman to learn his skills and pay his dues with lost tackle.

unfortunately the true fisherman you're not. had the pro fisherman been standing side by side with you, chances are you would not be in the position you're in now.

what you need to do is go out and find the plumber/ drain cleaner that comes recommended by others. looking in a phone book or on a computer website is a shot in the dark. you need to find the 1 person that you can trust and can get the job done. remember they're spending your money and trust and confidence is needed from both sides.

on a side note the k-50 with 5/8'' cable would have been my choice based on your description. but i'm a true fisherman

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick I could not have said that any beter sorry to here about your unfortunat drain problem wish I could help out but I would use the K-60 5/8" revers auger to get it and try and pull it out good luck please keep us informed of what you do because we do feel bad and would like to know how it ends for you {on a sid note I agree with wrench spinner on makeing this a sticky for others to learn from}
                      Last edited by post plumber; 10-20-2010, 05:41 PM.
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

no we can't help you. now go back to homies, ask for their list of plumbers. hire one. hell ask them for a referral. so what's the problem "you can do it. we can help". breid.......................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                          no we can't help you. now go back to homies, ask for their list of plumbers. hire one. hell ask them for a referral. so what's the problem "you can do it. we can help". breid.......................
                          Mean but I like it
                          Rod
                          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                          http://unclognh.com
                          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I am sorry about the original experience. This thread for the most part is a good exchange of information. Unfortunately, the sharp comments keep it from being a candidate for stickiness.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for your comments, helpful or not. The end of story is probably more dull than you'd expect. I called one Rooter from around the neighborhood and he came with an old manual plumber's snake (but at least it was the right diameter for the job) He tried a couple of times not with a retrieving auger but hopping it would just wrap around the broken piece, and pull it out.
                              It didn't happen, but in the process he unclogged the pipe a great deal, so its running much better now.
                              Before you'd see the water backing up from the drain just because I turned on the faucet upstairs. Now with the faucet turned on, I purred a bucket of water in the drain, and it flushed right away. So technically speaking, its working better than when I bought the house 5 years ago even if there's a broken piece of 1/4 inch snake in there. I'm sure it will probably build up sludge and clog more easily now, but for now this has to do.
                              However I did learn a lot from this experience. Just fixing things around the house in general, even if its frustrating most of the time, sometimes you succeed sometimes you don't. But you learn either way!

Comment

Working...
                              X