X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle Valve Volume

A few years ago when I remodeled my house, I purchased a refrigerator with a water and ice dispenser. My friendly Home Depot man recommended I use a saddle valve to connect it to the cold water line. It worked great but I've never been happy with the water flow volume on the water dispenser - it takes about 20 seconds to fill an 8 oz cup. I always figured it was normal but I've been wondering if the saddle valve could be a bottleneck. I am aware that the 1/4" (at least I think it's 1/4" - can't remember) supply hose is also a restriction but if I remove the saddle valve and use a compression fitting, will I see much difference in water volume on my water dispenser?

The saddle valve is about 10' from the refrigerator - should I run the 1/2" closer before connecting to the 1/4".

Re: Saddle Valve Volume

Not sure about the volume. Icemaker/water dispenser doesn't need much.

Regardless, a saddle valve is junk waiting to break. Remove it.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

the fridge must have a water restrictor so it does not come out to fast and splash out of the glass
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Some plumbing codes do not allow saddle valves. I know Illinois does not allow them.

As to water flow, most refrigerators that provide chilled water restrict how fast the water flows to ensure no splashing (as already stated by HVAC Hawk) as well as to ensure you get maximum amount of chilled water.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

saddle valves are typically self tapping in a copper line. try closing the valve all the way and then opening it back up all the way. it;s possible the installer didn't cycle it all the way to fully pierce the copper. also they tend to plug with hard water, but since your's didn't work from the get go, it's probably not pierce properly.

if the volume is too low then your ice cubes will not come out properly. the fill cycle on an ice maker is on a time cycle, not a fill or volume level.

you could always remove the saddle valve and drill a 3/16'' hole in the copper and reinstall the valve.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

My girlfriend's white plastic refrigerator hose kinked when her.efrigerator was pushed all the way back againsthe wall.
            I coiled it so no kinking and the flow was much better.

Maybe the saddle valve was not screwed fully in and did not completely pierce the water pipe.
            Be careful with saddle valves. Make sure the screws are adequately tightened and there is no leverage or forcexerted on the valve.
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

...another consideration is the water filter in the fridge. they

don't take long to clog-up and a clogged filter WILL affect

the flow. jmo

Comment

The filter was recently replaced, the supply line is not kinked and I cycled the saddle valve in and out but there is no change. It must be the fridge function to keep the water from splashing (as mentioned). I will be remodeling the basement in the next few years and I'll get rid of the saddle valve. I know that they are not recommended but at the time I thought it was a standard installation - my Home Depot guy recommended it.

Thank to everyone for the suggestions.

Comment

well, if the hOme depot guy recommended it, it must be good
                  sigpic

Comment

Every time I replace a water heater, water lines where these saddle valves exist, I tee into the line (hard copper always) and use a 1/4 turn straight or angle stop, with a 3/8" to 1/4" brass connection. That way I don't have to buy specific angle/straight stops, have all my brass fittings in a small bag not to take up space.

That connection then becomes a no excuse situation for the hvac guys that keep adding those saddle valves in to humidifiers, creating a christmas tree of leaking garbage on the water lines.

It happens constantly in my area.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

...did you check at the saddle valve for volume and pressure?

if good there then possible dirt in line or dirt wedged in filter

inlet hole. just a thought. also i'm assuming your pipe in front

of this valve is NOT steel anywhere.

Comment

Get rid of that saddle valve and install one of our tee & valve kits, part #33-2211. Can't believe these guys are recommending saddle valves when our product is on the shelf at all Home Depot stores in Canada, and in Ontario where we make this stuff no less!!

Meets code, made in Canada and a 25 year warranty.

Comment

Hey, buy one of those new Brasscraft 1/2" sharkbite x 1/4" anglestops. LOL

Comment

Saddle valves are junk, I just had one flood a kitchen that was above a garage.

I love handyman......... lazy handyman, thats about all who will install something like that.

I would cut in a tee, run a section of copper and put on an angle stop, 1/4" for ice maker, if this is to hardm call a plumber, your homeowners insurance will thank you when you dont call them with a flood call.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

dunbar. you have posted pics of you truck before. how would you find a little bag in there? hang it from mirror? wear around your neck? i ain't sayin nutin now, just askin, just sakin. breid..............

Comment

Working...
                              X