Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pex vs. Copper for New Construction

Thanks for the replies everyone!

What is the perception from customers regarding PEX? In general, do they think it is lower quality, same quality or higher quality than copper?

Also, any rough idea on cost difference in the material?

Thanks
    Aladdin

Comment

if i had to repipe i would definatly go pex.

new construction, copper in the exposed locations and pex everywhere else.

price on the material is at least 50-75% less and remember ther are very few 90's and next to no couplings involved.

the labor is the big ticket item.

talk to your plumber for his take on it. for me, i would go pex.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It's fast , cheap and easy and when you get down to it, ain't that all that anyone cares about these days? Hell, our entire lives are filled with crap that is fast cheap and easy so why not our plumbing as well? You can string the crap like spaghetti all over the basement and nobody cares because it was cheap fast and easy. It looks like crap, is restrictive as hell, sensitive to UV light and CAN NOT be legally hung across floor joists (read the code very carefully there please ) and gets a pass from plumbing boards because the manufacturers and lobbiests have put millions of dollars into their pockets so they will overlook the fact that PEX is crap. Now let's all hack some AAV's and flexi supply tubes in there and we can call it a day by noon
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          It's fast , cheap and easy and when you get down to it, ain't that all that anyone cares about these days? Hell, our entire lives are filled with crap that is fast cheap and easy so why not our plumbing as well? You can string the crap like spaghetti all over the basement and nobody cares because it was cheap fast and easy. It looks like crap, is restrictive as hell, sensitive to UV light and CAN NOT be legally hung across floor joists (read the code very carefully there please ) and gets a pass from plumbing boards because the manufacturers and lobbiests have put millions of dollars into their pockets so they will overlook the fact that PEX is crap. Now let's all hack some AAV's and flexi supply tubes in there and we can call it a day by noon
          Why can it not be hung legally across floor joists?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Ever seen it used to hang the clean laundry on ?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I have had zero reports of a "plastic taste" with Viega UltraPEX.

Has anyone else?

Thanks.

J.C.
              I have had one complaint of a plastic taste in the water after repiping a home with Viega brand PEX that I can recall. The funny thing was it was not copper I was replacing, but the old gray polybuteline.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Ever seen it used to hang the clean laundry on ?
                Sorry N.H., I do not know what you are talking about. You stated that it "CAN NOT be hung legally across floor joists" and to "read the code there very carefully please..."

I work under the IPC and it states in 308.5 that Cross Linked Polyethylene must be hung ever 32" horizontally and mid-story guides every 10' vertically.

Did I misinterpret or is there some exception?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

NH? You there?

J.C.

Comment

Self Destructive Pattern over ease of work

The words "Cheap and Easy" was used 1,313 times in this thread.

Across the country, the earnings of a plumber, whether licensed or not is continuing to drop, whether licensing waters down the value of the paper it is written on or the fact that builders, large corporations have stuck it to the tradesmen and said, "This is all we are going to pay."

In my area alone, New Construction Plumbers are earning wages that were had back in the mid 80's, when a can of corn could be bought, 5 for a $1.00.

Now, a can of corn is $1.15

Taking the skill out of the trades sets the design that your parapalegic grandma with a gambling addiction can now do the same thing you're doing, with the help of a youtube diy video.

Don't come crying about how hard life is. You brought it on yourself.

Does anyone really think that I would go work for 1980's pricing?
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

who knows. i'm here. i'm also a sparky. people will hang hangers of their winter clothes, hanging wardrobes, laundry crap and anything else on their romex, copper water lines, plastic, pex, copper lp lines, pvc electrical conduit and copper oil lines. what ever is there. even telephone lines, speaker cables, coax and cat cables. i have a bunch of this stuff over the years. i'm sure i didn't get it all either. i look at it as job security. about the only way to stop it is to hung steel pipe below what you don't want them to hung on. lol. did i say cha-chig? breid................

Comment

I'm still waiting for NH to show me where it can't be hung legally-by-code on floor joists.

Not trying to find a "gotcha'" on him. I know he knows his stuff. I just don't want to have to do things twice if you know what I mean.

J.C.

Comment

Re: Self Destructive Pattern over ease of work

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                          "This is all we are going to pay."

In my area alone, New Construction Plumbers are earning wages that were had back in the mid 80's, when a can of corn could be bought, 5 for a $1.00.
                          This is why we got out of New construction in the 90's, as the pay was going south. Getting paid 15 days on an invoice was great, until it went to 90 days, which was the last straw for us. Now around here, it's up to 120 days, which is insane.

All trades who accept these pay terms, are out of their minds, and deserve what is coming to them.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Me either. Although I have had reports of "metallic" taste with copper.

J.C.
                            J.C. The subject is PEX. Please don't let me bringing up copper distract you from the subject at hand.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Anytime I did a Multi-plex(soda machine) L.A. wanted a stainless double check.Even though the machine had one factory installed.

A simple coffee machine needed it's own check at the filler.
                              Considering what's at stake in the case of a soda dispenser I don't blame the municipality for wanting a little extra protection for the public. (Assuming copper piping)

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                if i had to repipe i would definatly go pex.

new construction, copper in the exposed locations and pex everywhere else.

price on the material is at least 50-75% less and remember ther are very few 90's and next to no couplings involved.

the labor is the big ticket item.

talk to your plumber for his take on it. for me, i would go pex.

rick.
                                Just curious, why copper in exposed locations?

Comment

Working...
                                X