Pex vs. Copper for New Construction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pex vs. Copper for New Construction

for me exposed is in a sub terranian garage and it's required to be fire rated. not to mention the uv light.

same goes true with abs/ pvc waste. no hub below and plastic above on 2 stories and less. that only applied to less than 10% of our work. most was 4 stories and above.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Here is the most common argument used by plumber for why they use pex. " I can't be competitive using copper because contractors and homeowners won't pay for copper" So essentially we are letting the contractors, homeowners and the competition dictate our prices. How much sense does that make? We plumbers could have killed all this cheap fast and easy crap a long time ago. Greed won the day and now every plumber is paying the price. The value of our knowledge and skills decreases with every passing year.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Here is the most common argument used by plumber for why they use pex. " I can't be competitive using copper because contractors and homeowners won't pay for copper" So essentially we are letting the contractors, homeowners and the competition dictate our prices. How much sense does that make? We plumbers could have killed all this cheap fast and easy crap a long time ago. Greed won the day and now every plumber is paying the price. The value of our knowledge and skills decreases with every passing year.
        I can't disagree with you. Now can you hang it by code on floor joists or not?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

We Plumbers should have stuck together from day 1, and put our ego's aside for the sake of the trade a long time ago. But when you have guys running around ripping other Plumbers about prices they charge, that creates a big problem right there. There is no pride in being the cheapest guy in town, and sadly a lot of Plumbers can't grasp that concept yet.

So we only have ourselves to blame for the way this trade has gone over the years.

Comment

It's fast , cheap and easy and when you get down to it, ain't that all that anyone cares about these days? Hell, our entire lives are filled with crap that is fast cheap and easy so why not our plumbing as well? You can string the crap like spaghetti all over the basement and nobody cares because it was cheap fast and easy. It looks like crap, is restrictive as hell, sensitive to UV light and CAN NOT be legally hung across floor joists (read the code very carefully there please ) and gets a pass from plumbing boards because the manufacturers and lobbiests have put millions of dollars into their pockets so they will overlook the fact that PEX is crap. Now let's all hack some AAV's and flexi supply tubes in there and we can call it a day by noon
            Ok NH, I'm pretty confident now that you have read my question about pipe support and must be wrong and don't want to admit it. Or choose to ignore me.

J.C.

Comment

Pex vs Copper is not the problem its all the different types off pex on the market and each one has its own special tool to install it where with copper you either flared it or silver soldered it I go the some jobs where I have to just walk away as I don`t have the special tool to repair some pex jobs and I would hate to be the poor plumber in years to come and thats what we should all be worried about whether here in Australia or the US.

Tony

Comment

I did new construction for years and i have to say that price wise... pex is the way to go...

its practically 1.00 for copper and 10 cents for pex (not actual pricing, just example)

ONLy issues ive had is :

1 someone bending it during installation, causing poor flow.

2 Rats! i hate them when i use pex... i traced down numerous lines with holes in them because the rats could sense the water in the pipe. Homeowners had exterminators give them some kind of d-con and they went crazy.

So pex is cheaper, but ur insurance might go up after a mess up...

up to you....

Comment

You have to remember that America is a whore for the dollar. Always.

Solar is not everywhere because it is not cheaper & won't pay out.
                  All of your local retail stores with someones name on them from your area closed when WalMart came....because of the dollar.
                  Illegal immigration is nothing but the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

America with all of it's high hat in the saddle-best country in the world- will even give up it's own patriotism over the dollar.

I do not think those that are trying to be the best skills & knowledge decrease with every passing year. Those that are trying to be the best will always be around for the supply/demand equation and will probably increase their knowledge base.

Most college graduates I know feel it beneath them or have no desire or intention to ever run or repair PEX or PVC. That's one of the only things that keeps the demand up....for now.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Welcome to the forum.What Brand do you like to install?
                    I use Wirsbo......thanks for the welcome...

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      We are actually getting cities that are dissallowing the pex install despite a California UPC approval.
                      SHWEET!!
                      Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      This whole multiple code B.S. has got to get reeled in. Do this here, don't do it there.

I've got to put in a double check backflow next week on a retail establishment with 2 sinks. And the meter yolk has double checks also.

Four checks because THIS area wants it.

J.C.
                      In IL. there are 2 coeds state of IL. coed and Chicago has its oun coed and there is a lot different example in 2004 chicago just started the use of pcv just for DWV 3 stroy residential and under but under ground still rec. cast. And in each suberb they add ammenments to the coed for there own towen some want copper type L some are ok with cpvc evon whey up northern IL 1 or 2 towns left with old inspector that still rec. galve. for water threaded !! so we have to call ahead of time to make sure but each year from what I heard they also make a cd to send to comapnys that rec. them
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by orcuttal View Post
                        I use Wirsbo......thanks for the welcome...
                        welcome welcome welcome to the ridgid forum!!!
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

You wont be asking if pex is = to copper in 30 years

Comment

Pex is cheaper, all around. Copper is more expensive, all around. I know copper will be around for a long time and will probably outlive me. Copper takes skill and knowledge to install. Anybody and their brother can install pex.

I prefer copper. I heard a year or 2 ago that some apprentices from our area had no idea how to solder?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                              I heard a year or 2 ago that some apprentices from our area had no idea how to solder?
                              Much more common than you would want to think. we have no union school here, it's mostly on the job training for everyone. and honestly, the only solder joints you see on most new construction are the shower valves.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Just makes those of us that can solder more valuable.

Comment

Working...
                                X