Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pex vs. Copper for New Construction

I appreciate all the responses guys.

Here is some background about us. We were building 50-100 homes per year from 1990 until 2005. Through that entire time we stayed loyal to the same plumbing company because they gave us good service. We may be a rare breed among builders in that respect. Pricing went from around 5k in '98 to over 10k in 2005.

In the last 3 years we have sold ZERO homes. There was just no way to compete with the foreclosures and short sales on the market.

Now I have sold 8 homes in the last 2 months by reducing my prices dramatically. I mean DRAMATICALLY!

Now when I call the plumber who Ive been loyal to for 15 years and ask explain my pricing has gone down and I need to get creative to cut substantially from the cost, I get a fax with the same bid he sent us in 2006...over 10k.

So I need to find a less expensive way to do the plumbing in my homes. For what its worth, this is a union shop who will only use copper.

Comment

holding the price from 2006 to 2010 is not bad.

saying they will only use copper is bad.

time to get a bid from another contractor, union or non union at this point.

i think with the amount of pex that's been installed over the years, the record speaks for itself.

like i said, i would most likely use it for my own home and never look back

i think the union will end up shooting themselves in the foot if they don't start using pex.

i was in the union for 15 years and we were 1 of the only union shops that could compete with the non union shops in new residential construction.

i can tell you from personal experience, the union shot themselves in the foot and lost a lot of good union shops and union plumbers.

at 1 time years ago, we were not allowed to use all thread rod for our hangers. we had to thread rods with a max. thread length of 1'' per end.

just stupid stuff like this is what is slowly killing off the unions.

find another company that is willing to work with you

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Anyone get their feelings hurt in this thread yet?
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Aladd1n View Post
          I appreciate all the responses guys.

Here is some background about us. We were building 50-100 homes per year from 1990 until 2005. Through that entire time we stayed loyal to the same plumbing company because they gave us good service. We may be a rare breed among builders in that respect. Pricing went from around 5k in '98 to over 10k in 2005.

In the last 3 years we have sold ZERO homes. There was just no way to compete with the foreclosures and short sales on the market.

Now I have sold 8 homes in the last 2 months by reducing my prices dramatically. I mean DRAMATICALLY!

Now when I call the plumber who Ive been loyal to for 15 years and ask explain my pricing has gone down and I need to get creative to cut substantially from the cost, I get a fax with the same bid he sent us in 2006...over 10k.

So I need to find a less expensive way to do the plumbing in my homes. For what its worth, this is a union shop who will only use copper.
          I generally have a very low opinion about builders (for obvious reasons, no offense to you), but must admit that it was nice to see you say some of the things that you did.

We have 1 builder that has stayed true to my father since 1969. Back in the mid 90's, this builder built a development in where he was in over his head. This guy built luxury condo's/townhouses starting in the $300,000 range which was kind of unheard of at the time.

Well he owed my father $75,000 and gave his WORD that he would receive every dime back on a payback scale. We did get every dime back within 4 years.

If more builders were loyal to their subs, everyone involved would benefit from it. I honestly believe the quality of the home would increase.

Comment

It may not be that the contractor won't use PEX,but that the village will not allow it's use,so the bid stays the same.Just because it's approved by the State of Il. doesn't mean you can use it,the local village can still prohibit it's use as long as the amendment exceeds the state min.Around here you can have 4 villages that share borders and they can all have different amendments to the state code and then throw in the inspectors interpretation of the codes on top af that.I have done 2 homes in the same subdivison,but in different villages,# 1 had sch 40 PVC below grade,1" water service,type M water pipe,PVC sch 40 above,radon vent,stack test to the tub rim except during daylight savings time.#2 right next door had C.I. below grade,1-1/2 water service,type L water pipe,PVC foam core above,no radon vent,fire sprinklers,no test required(we did test it tho) .If in doubt I call ahead and ask,saves problems down the road,even tho our industry fund puts out a CD with the various village amendments in it which are supposedly up to date.
            Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

My experience with pex here in california is we were having big issues with mice smelling or sensing the water in the plastic lines and they chewed through it to drink water! I worked for a large residential plumbing outfit in California and some cities allow it and some will not let it be installed but have had numberous callbacks for leaks due to mice chewing through it!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard707 View Post
                My experience with pex here in california is we were having big issues with mice smelling or sensing the water in the plastic lines and they chewed through it to drink water! I worked for a large residential plumbing outfit in California and some cities allow it and some will not let it be installed but have had numberous callbacks for leaks due to mice chewing through it!
                I hear of this on here from time to time. We have mice here in Nunya just like other parts of the world. And there are often attempts to get rid of them with the poisons that cause them to seek water. For our area, I have not encountered nor heard from others about any mice attacks on PEX.

Viega dominates the area. Very little Uponor.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  I hear of this on here from time to time. We have mice here in Nunya just like other parts of the world. And there are often attempts to get rid of them with the poisons that cause them to seek water. For our area, I have not encountered nor heard from others about any mice attacks on PEX.

Viega dominates the area. Very little Uponor.

J.C.
                  Ive been a plumber now 33 yrs.12 of them in Ireland .The rest here in Ontario .And never seen a mouse attack yet.
                  Mind you im not saying they dont .Just never seen it.

Comment

Working...
                  X