Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repipe and upgrade

Hello,

I'm planning on repiping my raised-ranch style house. I currently have the original 3/4" lead pipe coming from the street into the house (I plan on increasing this to 1" or 3/4" copper very soon). This connects to a meter that has 3/4" in and out connections, but looks like it reduces to 1/2" going through the meter. It then connects back to 3/4" galvanized pipe to feed the rest of the house. The problems I have now are your typical "I can't take a shower and do laundry/dishes at the same time" type problems.

Fixtures are: 1 shower, 2 hose bibs, 1 dishwasher, 1 clothes washer, 1 utility sink, 2 bathroom sinks, 1 kitchen sink, 1 refrigerator ice maker, 1 hot water heater (tank style), and 2 toilets. In the future, I'd like to add 2 more showers, 1 more toilet and 1 more bathroom sink.

My questions are: When I repipe, should I increase the size of the pipe from the meter to the rest of the house to 1", or keep it at 3/4"? And, should the line from the street to the meter be the same size as what I have in the house? I don't want to spend the money on a 3/4" repipe only to find that I don't have enough volume to supply water to all the additional fixtures I plan on installing later. In the same sense, I don't want to pay for 1" copper (PEX is not code in Chicago) if I don't have to.

Also, would you recommend type L or type M copper?

Thanks.
    Paul
    Last edited by pgmanno; 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM.

Re: Repipe and upgrade

3/4" is the minimum size for a service in Il. but you won't find many new ones run in 3/4",we've done many new 3-1/2 and 4-1/2 bath homes with 1" services and some with 1 1/2" they all work good.I have'nt done any work in your area,only places south were Chicago Ridge,Orland Pk.,Bridgeview.I'd run the 1" if it were me,see if Sewer Ratz chimes in,my code book isn't with me for sizing.With 1" you won't be doing the whole house with it as it reduces down after a while as you pick up fixtures.1" type K below grade,type L above,stay away from the type M
    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

for under ground k copper is required and L in your house I would do 1" service just for the fact of how much you have stated in fixtures for volume and I would go to the village and ask for a 3/4" meter when you install new 1" service
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Thanks for the tips fellas. One more thing. I bought a pressure meter from the hardware store and hooked it up to the system drain (looks like a hose bib that allows you to drain the system of water) that's right after the meter. I shut off the supply to the house (which is after the drain) so that I'm only metering what's coming from the village, through the meter. I get 40 psi. The village tells me that's as much as I'm going to get. Would you install a pump/expansion tank and boost the pressure, or do you think that 40 psi is good enough?

As a side note, I looked at the meter and it's not 1/2" through, it's 5/8".

Thanks again,
        Paul

Comment

40 is on the low end of functional "my opinion, we'll see what others think" But it is functional.

Grundfos makes a great self contained booster pump.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by pgmanno View Post
            Thanks for the tips fellas. One more thing. I bought a pressure meter from the hardware store and hooked it up to the system drain (looks like a hose bib that allows you to drain the system of water) that's right after the meter. I shut off the supply to the house (which is after the drain) so that I'm only metering what's coming from the village, through the meter. I get 40 psi. The village tells me that's as much as I'm going to get. Would you install a pump/expansion tank and boost the pressure, or do you think that 40 psi is good enough?

As a side note, I looked at the meter and it's not 1/2" through, it's 5/8".

Thanks again,
            Paul
            with 3/4" supply your meter will be 5/8" if you go up to 1" you can ask to upgrade your meter to 3/4" and as for 40psi if all you have is 1 or 2 storry then that is fine and 40 psi from city is on the high side out here feal lucky city of chicago has talcked of going down to 30 psi from pumping stations to houses in last 2 years just still in talks they think it will help reduce the amount of water main breakes in streats I dont think so and if they drop psi to 30 people with 3 flats will be up the creek they will need booster systems . But no 40 PSI is good
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              40 is on the low end of functional "my opinion, we'll see what others think" But it is functional.

around here 40 PSI is on the high end thats why when I was seeing guys talk of PRV's in res. houses cause water was over 100 PSI I had no idea and staded away never new but now I know more
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post

I agree I have installed these in high end homes and are nice
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Some good info for you on this thread:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34466

Comment

Working...
                  X