Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European style rear-discharge toilet in basement 1/2 bath.

Greetings:

I am planning on putting a 1/2 bath in my basement. There is an existing 3" cast iron hub stack near the new location. I will try to include a picture. The antique water softener tank and other debris has since been removed.

What I am thinking of doing is removing the 3" wye with cleanout and replacing it with a 3" sanitary tee, then putting the cleanout wye above the new sanitary tee. Since there is a hub just above the floor level, this could be done without needing to bust up the floor. The existing stack now services a bathroon on the first floor.

According to the Charlotte catalog, a the new sanitary tee would put the new wasteline at about 7-1/2 inches above the floor level. Several manufacturers make European style rear-outlet toilets, such as the Jeanette Dual Flush European Rear Outlet Toilet. Their literature indicates that the waste line should be 7" +/- 1". The desired location of the toilet would be just to the other side of the 4" cinderblock wall that can be seen at the right of the picture. This would require a total horizontal pipe run of less than 12 inchs.

I have three questions or areas opened to discussion:
    1. Could a second toilet be added to this stack as proposed?
    2. Could an inch or so be cut off the bottom of the sanitary tee fitting if needed to lower the waste line?
    3. Would PVC or non-hub cast iron be a better choice? I would prefer to keep it all the same unless there is a good reason to change.

Thank you for your input and any suggestions.

Scott
    Attached Files

Re: European style rear-discharge toilet in basement 1/2 bath.

That looks like 4" C.I. to me.

But to answer your questions...

1. Yes you can add a toilet to this line.

2. Yes an inch or so could be cut on the bottom of the sanitary tee. Less than 12" you can get away with 1/8" fall back to the stack. Worst case scenario you build a platform.

3. If it were me, from the bell up I'm running PVC, and put a mission coupling at the top to connect before the ceiling. But if your toilet height is that critical I would put in a C.I. stack tee, so you can trim some off..then PVC both ways.

Make sure you put another Boston Clean-out back in...the guy who will be snaking that drain will Thank you.
    Last edited by Flux; 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Dont forget to work out a path for your vent back up above the first floor bathroom lav
      You can use the vent for your new 1/2 bath lav

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        Dont forget to work out a path for your vent back up above the first floor bathroom lav
        You can use the vent for your new 1/2 bath lav
        Or the greatest thing since sliced bread . Studor vents
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          Or the greatest thing since sliced bread . Studor vents
          UPC says no!

Comment

Originally posted by shacko View Post
            UPC says no!
            Too bad IPC says yes.
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X