Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing tub with shower- drain issue?

Pulling out 5 foot wide tub to install 5 foot wide shower. House on slab. Was planning on demo-ing enough concrete to move the drain and trap to the center of the opening. Then it hit me, I have a 1.5 ' drain and showers are supposed to be 2". Do I have any options? Getting back to where I need to be to get it at 2 " requires I demo my tile floor I live in a rural area and I was not plan on getting a permit - not sure if I even need one. Is it really a problem if I reuse the 1.5" drain?

Re: Replacing tub with shower- drain issue?

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but...

Is saving some money now really worth it? I mean, why not do it right the first time around? The way I would do it....demo what needs to be demo'ed to get a 2" for that shower and get it done right.
    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

most likely the 2'' would be located on the horizontal run. typically where the santee meets the waste / vent.

the good news. older showers were only required to be 1.5'' pipe.

while tub/ shower combinations are still only 1.5''.

your 1.5'' shower only drain will drain much better than your 1.5'' tub drain. the surface area is much greater than that of the tub strainer.

you need to make the decision if it's worth tearing up the floor. but honestly with a new trap and shower drain, i wouldn't loose sleep over it

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

In my honest opinion, I would do it right and install the needed 2" drain and make sure it is vented. Also I would look in to getting a permit this way you know its done properly when the inspector signs off on your work.

I have had many of people that had a brother or had done the work themselves with out a permit. Then when they went to sell the home chances are you might get caught for doing remodeling with out the permit, by either a attentive inspector, or when things get written up for an improper install, then they find out it was done with out a permit.

Either way there is a fine to be paid, and if it is improper or not to code, they will make you tear it all out and do it again. So let me suggest to you again get the permit, talk to the inspector see what is allowed in your area. They are more than happy to make sure you do your update to code.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Permits are good as long as they are not over $50 bucks . But you can get an inspector out . He may be able to clue you in on some new stuff your county has been allowing or explain problems with other things they may not be allowing any more. My thoughts are good inspectors are more help than hurt. This depends on what county you are in for me. Some do 2" and some do
          1-1/2". So if you have many 1-1/2" shower drains going in around your area I really don't think it matters any more , the more important thing should be do you meet venting requirements , proper pitch and good bends .

Comment

Thanks for the inputs. The shower is already vented as I can see the pipe in the wet wall at the head of the tub. I guess I will talk to the building department and see if they will consider letting me reuse the 1.5" drain to avoid the tile demo. Of course that opens the can of worms; and if they say no, I will have no choice but to demo.

Comment

i would use an alias when i called them and not from my phone. if it was my house i would do as rick says. i'm not gigging ratz here. i'm rural and i think you are also. if i lived in chi-town i would get permits. out here the inspectors don't want to deal with little jobs. hell my digger and myself put in a water service this summer on the main drag in town. no permit required. when we sell houses no one is checking about permits. that definitely ain't true in chi-town. are you going to use a regular shower head or a car wash. car washes will be illegal again, i believe. with multiple shower heads your 1 1/2" may not be big enough. are you on a well or city water? wells don't always pump as much water as city service. single shower head would be good to go at my house. hell the last person i would call would be the inspector, if i were you. breid..................

Comment

...after reading this i can't help wondering. what happens if you have a house that

was bought years ago and had a lot of work done by the previous owner? the work

wasn't done to code. now you want to move to another house and of course sell this

house. what happens now? do you have to re-do everything that the previous owner

did before it could be sold? sounds like a royal screwing in the works!! any way

around this? what say you?

Comment

the seller discloses the facts of what they know and the buyer assumes the house in the condition they purchased and inspected it.

it's when you add onto the home extra bedrooms and bathrooms that actually raise the red flag. the original property appraisal doesn't recognize the additional rooms.

buys typically have a home inspection done by their own inspector of choice. it's up to their inspector, buyer and realtor to question the improvements and it's up to the seller to sign off on a legal document/ disclosures, that what they're selling is true to the best of their knowledge.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

And, really, that is the argument for codes, permitting, and inspection. It keeps things done properly so people don't buy a house in good faith that is dangerous.

But it's difficult for me to get my panties in a wad about a 1.5" shower drain instead of 2". That's no safety issue. At most it's an inconvenience if it tends to plug up or drains slowly.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                      And, really, that is the argument for codes, permitting, and inspection. It keeps things done properly so people don't buy a house in good faith that is dangerous.

But it's difficult for me to get my panties in a wad about a 1.5" shower drain instead of 2". That's no safety issue. At most it's an inconvenience if it tends to plug up or drains slowly.

I know its OT, but... You, sir, live in the best city in the world.... I love that place.

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                        Pulling out 5 foot wide tub to install 5 foot wide shower. House on slab. Was planning on demo-ing enough concrete to move the drain and trap to the center of the opening. Then it hit me, I have a 1.5 ' drain and showers are supposed to be 2". Do I have any options? Getting back to where I need to be to get it at 2 " requires I demo my tile floor I live in a rural area and I was not plan on getting a permit - not sure if I even need one. Is it really a problem if I reuse the 1.5" drain?
                        The plumbing codes I'm aware of require 2" for waste lines underground. The tub drain may well be connected to a 1-1/2" line drains into a 2" line. You may be able to connect to that 2" line.

An 1-1/2" line will probably drain adequately for you, but in the long run you may have a better drain experience with a 2" drain.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

OP here with an update; Just got off the phone the the county building office. Told him what I was doing and my issue with the drain. He asked if I was doing any other plumbing other that the tub to shower or any electrical work. I truthfully told him no, the tub was the only thing.

He said that I did not need a permit for the work and he did not see a big problem with reusing the old drain. He suggested I install a 2" trap and reduce to the 1.5" after that.

The tub is coming out today. I plan on using a 2" trap and then a 2" to 1.5" Fernco coupling instead of a PVC bushing to make the transition.

Comment

My 7 year old modular home came with an 1-1/2 shower drain as their code is slightly different than regular UPC. It works fine.

Comment

OP here with a further update:

Tub is out. Pretty easy- fiberglass tub meets saws-all. Here is the kicker, my fears were unfounded. 1.5" trap was feeding into a 2' drain. I will cut out the trap, relocate to the center of the opening and install a new 2" trap. Minor amount of concrete to bust up. It looks like geno gardner was correct that the piping under the slab would be 2"

Thanks for all the support.

Comment

Working...
                              X