Hot water line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water line

My water heater was replaced but in the process (according to the plumber) a clog was created in the hot water supply line and nothing, beyond the washing machine (closest), is getting hot water. Just a tiny trickle.

After paying $900 for the heater & install, the plumber now wants another $2000 to finish the job. Can I clear the clog without replacing all of the hot water lines? Getting desperate since I don't have $2000. Thanks for any help.

Re: Hot water line

Do all your faucets have hot water issues?

I would get a second opinion. chances are the hot water nipple is bad on the new heater, or the gate valve is half closed, this would cause a whole house hot water pressure issue.

What type of pipe do you have? galv, pex or copper?

If you have galv water pipe, it is probably time for a repipe. Flushing would be hard to do and a waste of money. Put that 2000$ towards a repipe.

Is it hot water only? Or does the cold have pressure problems also?

I would call another plumber and pay for his service call to diagnose the issues.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

WHAT YOU NEED IS TWO (2) LEAK PROOF GARDEN HOSES YOU CONNECT
      THE FIRST ONE TO THE DRAIN VALVE ON THE WATER HEATER, AND RUN OUTDOORS

THE PLUMBER SHOULD HAVE INSTALLED A NEW SHUT OFF VALVE IF NOT
      CHECK WHAT WESTCOAST PLUMBER POSTED ABOVE !

ANY WAY WITH A NEW SHUT OFF VALVE YOU TURN COMPLETELY OFF ! !

NOW YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SPECIAL BRASS HOSE ADAPTER THAT IS
      3/4 " FEMALE HOSE SWIVEL X 1/2 " FEMALE PIPE THREAD YOU THEN
      REMOVE EATHER THE SHOWER HEAD OR THE BATHTUB SPOUT AND CONNECT HOSE ADP. ADD 2ND WATER TIGHT GARDEN HOSE FROM A
      HOSE FAUCET AT FRONT OF HOUSE AND RUN INTO THE BATHROOM CONNECT TO YOUR NEW BRASS HOSE ADP.
      NOW OPEN THE DRAIN VALVE ON THE WATER HEATER OPEN "ONLY" THE
      HOT SIDE OF YOU TUB/SHOWER VALVE,
      THEN TURN THE COLD WATER ON AT THE FRONT OF HOUSE ! !
      YOU THEN GET A BACKFLUSH ACTION TO PUSH WHATEVER IS BLOCKING
      THE HOT PIPE BACK INTO THE WATER HEATER !
      AND MAYBE OUT THE DRAIN HOSE
      LET RUN UNTIL YOU HAVE A GOOD FLOW AT YOUR OUTSIDE DRAIN HOSE
      THEN PUT EVER THING BACK TOGETHER AGAIN !
      IF THIS DOE'S NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM THEN TIME TO GET A WHOLE HOUSE REPIPE
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

what jerry says is about free. that is where i would start if i was short. and i'm short. then what wcp says. that ain't so cheap. i have never had a plugged line that i couldn't open. as wcp asked what type of piping do you have? my guess is that he has knocked deposits loose when he installed wh. they are now plugging stuff up. breid............

Comment

What kind of water line pipe do you have? If its threaded galvanized water pipe its not unusual for it to scale up really bad on the inside. I have replaced hole systems almost totally closed up. Dont blame the plumber its just time for an upgrade.

Comment

i say did you have any problems before he replaced it and did it happen right after they were done , if so i would say he should look at the problem that he may have caused
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

No updates? We're on pins and needles here waiting for you to tell us what happened!
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

if it worked before, it will work again.

my guess it's gal pipe and a rust ball broke loose.

the water hose bypass is usually all it takes. but sometimes i'll use an air bottle or air compressor to stir things up.

gal pipe is prone to rusting and eventually plugging and leaking. copper, pex, cpvc should not plug up.

if the plumber turned on the water heater full blast, he created a water hammer surge mixed with air that shot the rust/ scale downstream into the pipe/ fitting. normally you bleed the air and water from the heater and flush out from the tub.

let us know what pipe material and if the suggestions work.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  if it worked before, it will work again.

my guess it's gal pipe and a rust ball broke loose.

the water hose bypass is usually all it takes. but sometimes i'll use an air bottle or air compressor to stir things up.

gal pipe is prone to rusting and eventually plugging and leaking. copper, pex, cpvc should not plug up.

if the plumber turned on the water heater full blast, he created a water hammer surge mixed with air that shot the rust/ scale downstream into the pipe/ fitting. normally you bleed the air and water from the heater and flush out from the tub.

let us know what pipe material and if the suggestions work.

rick.
                  My guess is this person already had no hot water thought replacing the tank would fix problem. now that it didnt they want to blame the plumber and get thier pipes changed out for free. You got to watch your *** out there

Comment

Im with rick on this one...You need to pick the faucet you let the air out of when filling the tank just the air blowing through the line could let loose the crud
                    A simple back flush is all i ever have to do when the flow stops

Comment

Originally posted by pipes15217 View Post
                      My guess is this person already had no hot water thought replacing the tank would fix problem. now that it didnt they want to blame the plumber and get thier pipes changed out for free. You got to watch your *** out there
                      i would hope the customer is telling the truth and i suspect they are not trying to pull a fast one on the plumber.

i personally don't pre-check the house plumbing prior to changing a leaking water heater, but the again, i have a relationship with my customers.

lets see what the owner has to say

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Still have not heard from sweet alice. A one post angry customer looking for free technical information that she could use to squeeze some sorry plumber who rushed in trying to beat his 40 gallon install record not paying attention to the little big things.

Comment

hey rick i had a relationship with all my ex wives and girl friends. breid..........

Comment

Working...
                          X