Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex Al Pex and Kitec fittings

Hi everybody!
    I'm in the process of installing a laundry sink in a recentily purchased home that has Pex Al Pex and Kitec fittings throughout. I visited the local hardware store to purchase necessary fittings etc. and the sales person told me that they don't carry that line of product anymore.
    Can anyone inform me as to what brand I can use with this type of pipe?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by kbtoby; 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM. Reason: to correct fitting name brand

Re: Pex Al Pex and Kitec fittings

This should be a good discussion......

Comment

I always thought PEX-AL-PEX was used for hydronic heating line??? The ALuminum layer is the O2 barrier right???

Is PEX-AL-PEX approved for use in potable water applications?

Comment

They sold the AL-pex at Home Depot in Canada for domestic water.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          I always thought PEX-AL-PEX was used for hydronic heating line??? The ALuminum layer is the O2 barrier right???

Is PEX-AL-PEX approved for use in potable water applications?
          I recall reading something last week at a plumbing supply house display indicating PEX with an O2 barrier is intended for heating only.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Canadians may do things a bit differently... Like the French

Comment

Actually, you will find that Canadian plumbing is VERY similar to the USA....one difference being in Buffalo they go crazy with PVC and we go crazy with ABS (and yellow glue)...otherwise so much is the same. But I know some states use ABS also (but with black glue).

France, on the other hand is WAY WAY DIFFERENT!

Comment

Haven't read up on it in awhile but I think PEX-AL is approved for potable water with the notion that the Al is in the middle and not in contact with the fluids. Only the PEX is in contact....unless you have a leak.

J.C.

Comment

Hi kbtoby,

We should still have the parts you need. PM me with a summary of the sizes & types.

And yes, Kitec is okay for PEX-AL-PEX. The benefit of the aluminum liner is not only an oxygen barrier but also that the pipe maintains its shape better than PEX and can be picked up with a metal detector if it's underground.

Cheers,
                  Dahlman

Comment

I looked at the cold water line going in to the tank and it has POTABLE stamped on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dahlvalveman View Post
                      Hi kbtoby,

We should still have the parts you need. PM me with a summary of the sizes & types.

And yes, Kitec is okay for PEX-AL-PEX. The benefit of the aluminum liner is not only an oxygen barrier but also that the pipe maintains its shape better than PEX and can be picked up with a metal detector if it's underground.

Cheers,
                      Dahlman
                      Really .I live in Windsor and Kitec fittings cannot be found in any wholesalers.In fact lots of homeowners are now getting repiping jobs.?

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
                        Really .I live in Windsor and Kitec fittings cannot be found in any wholesalers.In fact lots of homeowners are now getting repiping jobs.?
                        Well well well...I just happened to Google Kitec fittings to learn a bit more about the product and I could hardly believe what I read....all kinds of info. concerning defective materials in pex al pex and kitec fittings.... class action law suits.....etc...etc...
                        I know now, why my local hardware store doesn't carry it anymore. I got to be the most unlucky guy around. I'm wondering why the home inspector didn't note this prior to my purchase...He must be greener than me. Oh my! Were do I go from here ?

Check out www.kitecplumbing.com

Comment

robie,
                          Have they been repiping with pex again, or copper?

Comment

Originally posted by kbtoby View Post
                            Well well well...I just happened to Google Kitec fittings to learn a bit more about the product and I could hardly believe what I read....all kinds of info. concerning defective materials in pex al pex and kitec fittings.... class action law suits.....etc...etc...
                            I know now, why my local hardware store doesn't carry it anymore. I got to be the most unlucky guy around. I'm wondering why the home inspector didn't note this prior to my purchase...He must be greener than me. Oh my! Were do I go from here ?

Check out www.kitecplumbing.com

The issue with the Kitec fittings was pretty much limited to the harsh water in Las Vegas. Wirsbo, RTI and Rehau brass fittings are suffering a similar fate in Las Vegas. The Developer of my Las Vegas home just recently replaced all of the Rehau fittings due to the problem.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              The issue with the Kitec fittings was pretty much limited to the harsh water in Las Vegas. Wirsbo, RTI and Rehau brass fittings are suffering a similar fate in Las Vegas. The Developer of my Las Vegas home just recently replaced all of the Rehau fittings due to the problem.

Mark
                              Well Mark that explains why Rehau is changing all its fittings from brass to a plastic fittings and why they are exchanging pipe expanders to suit their new piping I just hope we don`t have the same problems you had.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X