X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage kitchen sink drain?

I have a person who has a old kitchen sink, and they have recently just moved into the house and it is in need of a lot of repair and updating,

the kitchen sink has only had a bucket for a drain for the last 80 years, and this is one of the updating I am helping them with,

any way replacement of the kitchen sink is not currently possible, do to a number of factors, (which I will not get into here),

I have only seen one other sink like this one and it was made to work, (it was actually in the house I live in and is in the pictures,
    it is currently being used a s parts washer,
    and I am in in need to make this one work but there are a few differences,
    on the base of the sink there is a ball type unit that the drain hooks into, or to.

and on the ball (on my parts washer) there are a few additional pieces, that are clamped on by the bolts that hold the drain grate in the sink,

see pictures,

as one can see the one in the picture has had a pipe brazed on to it, to use a tail piece on it, the one I am working on does not have those pieces just the ball that is on the bottom of the sink,

First what was the original intent, (my guess is a piece of lead pipe was to go up into the bottom flange and then be peened out to mate the ball and be clamped to the sink), is that correct?

next post is my idea on how to connect to the sink tell me what you think,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 11-08-2010, 11:05 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Vintage kitchen sink drain?

this is my plan,

I took a plastic, coupling and put a piece of pipe in the lathe, and the coupling on the end of the pipe, then heated the coupling and flared it out, to mate to the ball, and will be held in place via the bolts that come through the sink like the original cast flanges,

I used a wore out bearing that was a take off clamped to the tool holder of the lathe to rotate and flare out the coupling when it turning, then sprayed with water to cool and set it,

I will make a bar that will have a hole in it and will let the pipe pass through it and catch the coupling, and the flared coupling will be held in place by the clamp and the bolts,

Question, what would you use to seal it up 100%?

plumbers putty,
    silicon caulk,
    or other type of caulk,
    a rubber washer,
    or other?

I also could not find any counter sunk bolts, of any type, so I took brass toilet tank bolts and turned down to a counter sunk configuration, for replacement bolts if needed, (which I am guessing they will be),

suggestions, or recommendations?
    Attached Files
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I wonder if a gasket from a urinal would be big enough,they have a taper to them that might fit the flange you made.
      Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Im sure you tried a 3 x 1 1/2 fernco to see if it would fit on the bell

Comment

bhd. i've had very good luck using blue rtv but not with gasoline. breid......
          Last edited by breid1903; 11-09-2010, 08:33 PM. Reason: senior moment

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
            Im sure you tried a 3 x 1 1/2 fernco to see if it would fit on the bell
            no I did not try that, as with the curve or ball shape, I may be wrong but I do not think one could get it to hold,

I took the pictures into what is considered around here a plumbing wholesaler supply, and they had never seen any thing like that or had any ideas,

I had come up with one idea, it would have been similar, to what I ended up doing, but was out of a brass 1 1/4" tail piece, and soldering on a machinery bushing for a flange,

but I think I will use the plastic coupling I heat flared (just a lot lower cost), and has less transitions and places for crud to build up in,

but thank you for the Idea,

any one ever seen any thing like that sink drain before?
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

here is how the drain turned out,

Attached Files
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                here is how the drain turned out,

That's slick!! Where did you get the red retaining clip? Is that BHD Built?

I just saw this tonight, or I would have suggested a conical tailpiece that the old cement laundry trays used to use, way back in the day. I have one in the truck. I can take a pic of it.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

yes I made the red retainer,
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

BHD,

I've been on forum boards across the internet, varying in topics of interest and the abilities, motivation and techniques you have are stellar.

If the world was to burn to the ground tomorrow, and your shop was still intact, I'm sure you would buld/fabricate/design and create everything you needed to survive.

I'd love to have the ability to go the entire way and do stuff like you do. It might take longer, but far more rewarding and that's why you do it, instead of tossing it into the garbage and just-buying-new.

Congrats.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Tis an item of beauty

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                        BHD,

I've been on forum boards across the internet, varying in topics of interest and the abilities, motivation and techniques you have are stellar.

If the world was to burn to the ground tomorrow, and your shop was still intact, I'm sure you would buld/fabricate/design and create everything you needed to survive.

I'd love to have the ability to go the entire way and do stuff like you do. It might take longer, but far more rewarding and that's why you do it, instead of tossing it into the garbage and just-buying-new.

Congrats.
                        A skill I fear may be lost on our youngest generation. How many of them have tinkered with stuff or dissected something in their garage when they were kids to figure out how it works? I took apart so many lawn mower engines, radios, etc without any manuals and tired to bring them back to life or repair them and make them usable again. It was just part of being inquisitive and mechanically minded I guess. Later graduated to tearing down cars and rebuilding and hopping them up. I bet most of you went through that phase no matter where you grew up.

Do kids do these things today? I often wonder. If they do I don't see any signs of it in my area.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          A skill I fear may be lost on our youngest generation. How many of them have tinkered with stuff or dissected something in their garage when they were kids to figure out how it works? I took apart so many lawn mower engines, radios, etc without any manuals and tired to bring them back to life or repair them and make them usable again. It was just part of being inquisitive and mechanically minded I guess. Later graduated to tearing down cars and rebuilding and hopping them up. I bet most of you went through that phase no matter where you grew up.

Do kids do these things today? I often wonder. If they do I don't see any signs of it in my area.
                          Even the family farms that were around when I was going through the critical learning stage are gone.The one I spent time on in the late seventies was sold off a few years after I left.The family sold their couple thousand acres,along with many other small land owners,off to a major player.

This was where I learned many skills,number one being that self dependence was a necessity and possible.My favorite was brazing and welding.

Our culture is too busy to do their own maintenance.I don't remember there being any Jiffy Lube oil change outfits being around when I was a kid.

Comment

I kept my mouth shut in this thread as I knew he really didn't need my opinion and would probably figure out something better than I could.

J.C.

Comment

The only way that could motivate me to attempt such a task is a paying customer. Like the time we made a sink out of a silver tray dome that looks something like this:
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Plated-La...item1c174229e2
                              I can't remember how much it cost the customer, but I do remember how much I charged to have an old toilet seat duplicated and carved, with new pol nickel hardware machined. With lacquer finish it was about a $1500 seat. The guy liked it so much that he had us strip the existing seat down to the wood, re stain it and replace it's hardware.
                              Last edited by Plumbus; 11-26-2010, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X