X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater

Hi, My daughter sent this pictures about her water heater from Seattle, I am not familiar with, any help to identify and guide her to replace it? She will hire a plumber, but being an Aerospace Engineer she wants to know everything and be familiar with before the call. Is that what it is call a direct vent? How it work? It is in a comdominion. How much it will cost to replace it in Seattle? Anyone can be recommended there? I am in Arizona.
    Thank, a thankful dad

Re: Water heater

Originally posted by Esthy View Post
    Hi, My daughter sent this pictures about her water heater from Seattle, I am not familiar with, any help to identify and guide her to replace it? She will hire a plumber, but being an Aerospace Engineer she wants to know everything and be familiar with before the call. Is that what it is call a direct vent? How it work? It is in a comdominion. How much it will cost to replace it in Seattle? Anyone can be recommended there? I am in Arizona.
    Thank, a thankful dad

That sticker at the top is kind of a give away. What kind of plumbing do you do?

J.C.

Comment

How does that vent work?
      3-inch flue inside 5-inch pipe which brings down combustion air?
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-10-2010, 12:29 AM.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Hi JC, long time retired and too old to remember things . What you mean about the sticker?

Comment

Hi JC, long time retired and too old to remember things . What you mean about the sticker?
          Retired from what?

J.C.

Comment

aerospace engineer. a plumber. have either one of you passed a literacy test? not sayin nutin here, just askin, just askin? breid................

Comment

The sticker on the water tank photo that YOU provided says: "DIRECT VENT"

Comment

Our daughter asked the question related to her water heater and because my husband, a retired plumber, is overseas for an illness treatment, I thought I can use his forum to ask for the information. Previously I saw a water heater with a pipe (flue?) going to the roof but I never saw that type of pipe, bigger and that goes from the ceiling to the bottom of the water heater. I thought you help each either, but … I didn’t know that this forum is full of sarcasm … thanks

A neophyte wife

Comment

Dishonest at the beginning, no reason to be honest at the end.

No sarcasm.

J.C.

Comment

i would say she should go with a high efficiency power vent water heater
                    it brings in outside air for the gas burner and does not use the air in the house .the exhaust [ flue ] will be PVC pipe and is because it does not wast the heat going out the flue

this is a good forum it is just you used your husbands name and it says he is a plumber ,so people would ask why is a plumber asking about a water heater
                    i hope this helps
                    i just put one of these in and works very good ,its going to cost a little more but should save in gas down the road
                    http://www.hotwater.com/products/res...romax-pdv.html
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                      aerospace engineer. a plumber. have either one of you passed a literacy test? not sayin nutin here, just askin, just askin? breid................
                      Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                      The sticker on the water tank photo that YOU provided says: "DIRECT VENT"
                      Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Dishonest at the beginning, no reason to be honest at the end.

No sarcasm.

J.C.
                      be nice
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Our daughter asked the question related to her water heater and because my husband, a retired plumber, is overseas for an illness treatment, I thought I can use his forum to ask for the information. Previously I saw a water heater with a pipe (flue?) going to the roof but I never saw that type of pipe, bigger and that goes from the ceiling to the bottom of the water heater. I thought you help each either, but … I didn’t know that this forum is full of sarcasm … thanks

A neophyte wife
                        Small tip, remove "plumber" from your occupation, avert claims that you're a plumber, and no one has anything to snipe at.

The problem is that a plumber will feel insulted or deceived when someone claims to be a plumber but isn't, you're better off being honest at the getgo. (the concept of honesty is socially universal, not just indicative to this particular forum)

That said, the water heater is an older model direct vent without a blower to assist.

Where I live, they are no longer sold, you will DEFINITELY want a plumber to deal with it.

If you install a standard blower assisted PV heater and the common vent connects to other gas fixtures, you can cause serious problems, fires, or CO poisoning.
                        Last edited by DuckButter; 11-30-2010, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninarika
                          One reason for having a reasonable eco friendly water heating service is because of the money it costs. Heating water can get extremely expensive over time and having an eco friendly water heating system is one way to cut costs pretty drastically. These new eco friendly green water-heating products make heating the water far less costly as well as more effective and efficient. Spending money that doesn't need to be spent will always be bad business.
                          If you say ECO-FRIENDLY one more time, I'm coming after you with a filthy plunger.
                          sigpic

Comment

Is this a mobile home W.H.?

Comment

CALL TERRY LOVE PLUMBING. They are fair, and do good work.
                              They don't mess with ROCKETS, You shouldn't mess with water heaters !
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X