X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Faucets Valve question

I wanted to ask you all about something that seemed odd to me.

I'm installing a pair of Chicago Faucets #770 in-wall valves. These are straight valves, with one inlet and one outlet and an arrow cast on the body to indicate which is which. Pretty typical simple valve so far.

The instructions say that these are for bottom supply installations. It also says, underscored, "do not invert valves".

Hmmm. In my installation, a top supply would be a lot easier and much cleaner. I was going to just flip the valves so the arrow pointed down, and supply them from the top -- until I read the instruction sheet.

I called Chicago Faucets. The guy in customer support put me on hold, then came back and said I shouldn't flip the valve upside down. He didn't know why. I think he just read the same instruction sheet while I was on hold.

All I can think of is that you don't want sediment getting into the cartridge. But valves fed from the top aren't that unusual, are they? Chicago makes other valves with side outlets, same cartridge I think, that have plugs to allow either top or bottom supply. I understand the plugs on those... you want the hot and cold valve outlets to be facing the center. But none of this should matter with the valve I have (picture below).

What do you think? What would you do?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy_M; 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM.

Re: Chicago Faucets Valve question

what i was told. breid..............

Comment

Come from above, drop below, 90 over and up if you're concerned.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

I installed 'em w/ supply on bottom. Coming from above, as per JC. It's a busy wall... lots going on in there... so a bit more work but it's all in ok.

Still doesn't make a lick of sense to me. But not being an expert and since they're going to be buried in a wall, I figured... better safe than stupid.

Thanks again,

Andy

Comment

put a garden hose adapter in each side and hook it up to your spigot with a washer machine hose and blow it through each end and let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by pipes15217 View Post
            put a garden hose adapter in each side and hook it up to your spigot with a washer machine hose and blow it through each end and let us know what happens.
            That would have been a good experiment. Too late now, they're in the wall. I was hoping someone had been down this road before and could explain "why" to me... I just don't see that it could possibly matter. But I installed them right ways up just to be safe.

Either way, hot on the left, ccw to open, cw to shut off.

It's done now, but still bugs me. Would sure like to learn why.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
              That would have been a good experiment. Too late now, they're in the wall. I was hoping someone had been down this road before and could explain "why" to me... I just don't see that it could possibly matter. But I installed them right ways up just to be safe.

Either way, hot on the left, ccw to open, cw to shut off.

It's done now, but still bugs me. Would sure like to learn why.
              The valves may be essentially globe valves that have to be fed from a particular side or you'll get chattering. As long as you stick with direction of flow indicated by the arrow you should be OK.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
              X