X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedestal sink

when installing a hanging or pedestal sink, do the pros apply anything to the sink prior to installation that fills the gap between the inside edge of the sink and the wall?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: pedestal sink

All fixtures are to be caulked when in contact with floor or wall according to most Plumbing codes.

Now with that said, I would never caulk around a toilet sitting on a hardwood floor.

Yes I would caulk around the pedestal.

Comment

If the sink has a nice high back to it, I would not caulk it to the wall. When it comes time to remove the sink or replace it you will be thankful you did not.....(the drywall will get destroyed when you try remove a caulked sink from a wall)

Comment

there are 2 styles of pedestals sinks. the kind that hangs from the wall and the pedestal base supports the bowl. then there are the true pedestal that the base supports the sink.

the important thing is the proper backing to allow the screws or hanger bar to support the sink.

also proper placement of the waste and water stubs along with fabbing the trap to the tailpiece as there is usually never any room to get to the top of the trap.

i would only caulk the edge of the sink and base. not the entire backing surface. i also like to caulk the base to the sink to make it less prone to rock.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

and what would you caulk the sink with?

Comment

mostly dap, acrylic latex. or poly seamseal. some have acrylic latex with silicone. all water base. never pure silicone. too messy to work with and hard to tool into the joint.

i either use white, clear or almond. if it's a colored tile grout wall that's a custom color, i'll have the owner supply the colored caulking in either smooth or sanded.

make sure to fully test the fixture and drain before you caulk it. once dry, it's difficult to separate the sink from the base to get to the trap and pop up.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

thank you for the information.

Comment

Working...
              X