Toilet won't hold water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet won't hold water

We just bought our hose 2 months ago after it was renovated. Both bathrooms have new Glacier Bay toilets. All was well until 2 weeks ago. The master bath toilet (which gets the least use) no longer will hold water in the bowl. Both toilets are back to back and share the same vent pipe. I have read that this could be caused by a blocked vent or a cracked toilet. I have visually inspected the vent pipe and all is clear from what I can see. I assume that because only one toilet has issues, the vent is not the issue. My question is this, is the only other possible cause a cracked toilet? How can I check to be sure? Thanks for any help.

Re: Toilet won't hold water

very simple. how long does it take for the water level to drop in the bowl?

if it drops in a matter of minutes without flushing the other back to back toilet, then the trap weir is broken.

sometimes the toilet will have a partial stoppage that will cause the toilet bowl to siphon. but i think you would know by know if the toilet was partially plugged.

did anyone use an auger on the toilet? that could break the trap weir.

it's possible it's a factory defect from day 1 and the problem just arose as a casting hole plug started to leak.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Wow, thanks Rick. I plan on crawling under the house today, will let you know about the trap weir. I hope that is the issue. Since we have lived here, no one has run an auger down the drain. The house sat vacant since the renovations were done in the spring, we put an offer on it on Father's Day and closed on Sept 3. No one else put an offer on it. The only people in the house were other workers doing additional repairs as part of the selling agreement ie new HVAC system and new water heater. I always see you (and some others) on here posting and wondered if I would ever need your services. I appreciate the quick response. That's why I try to answer other people's question when I can.

Comment

thanks for the kind offer

no need to crawl under the house the trap weir is integral to the toilet. on most toilets if you look at the side profile, you can see the waterway. the "s" type turn is the trap and the weir is the high point of the trap water level.

how long does it hold water before the level drops?

does it drop only when the other back to back toilet is flushed?

those 2 answers will tell me if it's a plumbing issue or a toilet issue that needs to be replaced.

at this point with the info provided i would say bad toilet. but to be sure i need the answers to my questions

rick.

of too work right now so lets see what others have to say
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by museum_guy View Post
          Wow, thanks Rick. I plan on crawling under the house today, will let you know about the trap weir. I hope that is the issue. ...
          The trap weir is part of the toilet - the slope up in the bowl outlet channel. There should be no other trap on the 3-inch toilet line.
          Could water in the trap have frozen and cracked the vitreous china?
          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Glacier bay crappety crap, no crap , junk !!!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would agree with Toolaholic. Trash the Glaicer Bay and get Toto.

Comment

you buying. breid..................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  you buying. brief
                  Why is Toto so expensive?
                  I do not see any special engineering.

Comment

You won't believe what the problem was. After crawling under the house for my own peace of mind, I went to remove the bowl and it was caulked to the floor. Yep, caulked to the floor. Once I cut the caulk loose and rocked it to break the joint, water came pouring out. Once the deluge was cleaned up, I turned it upside down and lo and behold, what do I see? A large metal duct tape cross. I peel that back and off pops a large chunk of the toilet. Whoever installed it, broke it and tried to hold it in place with caulk. There was too much water coming out of the crack and the caulk never dried. I went to the local lumber yard and bought a Crane brand toilet. All is well now, no leaks, no dropping water levels. I really had some dishonest tradesmen working on the place. No recourse because we bought it "as is". Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                      Just pay the Money and Guess. We have Two
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

They have a special hairdryer connection built right into the tank.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          They have a special hairdryer connection built right into the tank. J.C.
                          Now that would be nice.
                          The Toto I bought at a thrift store does not have the tank air opening and nothing I could see special about it.
                          The bowl, I recall, had some rather sharp corners athe outlet which do not promote water flow without making turbulence.

A Mexican-make toilet has very smooth streamlined curves, flushes cleanly and is also easy to clean with a toilet brush. No sharp corners.
                          Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-13-2010, 10:14 PM.

Comment

The Toto I bought at a thirift store
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I've installed most all of the brands. Haven't been overly impressed to recommend Toto for any reason. Always willing to learn though...

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X