Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiant Heat in Garage and Workshop Above

Hi all,

I've spent many hours lurking here, trying to get an idea of the best way to heat the detached garage and woodshop I'm just finishing building. I'm at the end of my budget, and trying to figure out the best way to heat this.

Some particulars:
    • 24x26 foot garage
    • Radiant tubing in slab and in dormered workshop above
    • Located in Maine, so it gets cold
    • Bathroom with only a sink, but may make this an apartment down the road
    • R30 walls (2 inches closed cell foam, r11 batts, inch of foam on outside)
    • Approx R45 roof (4 inches closed cell foam, r19 batts)
    • R 19 batts between floors

My plumber would like me to go with an Axia because he is familiar with them, but they are 3k and 86% efficient, if I remember correctly. I have looked at the Takagi, which looks good, but about the same cost. Same with the Triangle Tube. I've also looked at the Eternal, and the Navien, which seems to have been questionable here.

I don't really need hot water in the bathroom. Would be nice, but right now I don't need it. I am interested in keeping my monthly costs down as LP is about $3.50 a gallon here right now. So here's my real question:

Why not find a decent LP hot water heater for under 1k to do this? Am I going to pay a lot more in monthly costs? I'm only going to keep it around 40-50 degrees most of the time, and I don't mind waiting for the workshop to heat up (I may have a woodstove as well).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Looking to keep my initial costs down, but not at the risk of high heating bills.

Thanks in advance

Re: Radiant Heat in Garage and Workshop Above

not trying to get rid of you, but you might also try www.heatinghelp.com. ask questions. "the wall". breid................

Comment

Thanks, Breid. I have done some looking over there, but haven't posted. I'll post my question over there as well. If anyone has any good guidance, it would be appreciated.

Ned

Comment

How thick is the slab?
        And is there any insulation below?

Heat the slab with the woodstove.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the response. The slab is 4". The tubing is about 2-3 inches down, attached to the mesh. I have 2 inches of insulation under the slab, and 1.5 inches on the perimeter, on the inside of the frost walls, going down 2 feet or so.

Ned

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
            not trying to get rid of you, but you might also try www.heatinghelp.com. ask questions. "the wall". breid................
            thank for advice ... its really help for me
            My best choice pumps

Comment

Working...
            X