Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow draining sink and 'shut off' valve spray

Hello All,

Two concerns. concern 1 - I seem to have a slow draining/clogged bathroom sink. The water backs up in the bathroom sink and drains slowly. So far I removed the PVC trap and ran a manual auger through the pipes, which took some time to work through some spots but eventually worked my way through. I also reversed the auger a few times to see if there was any muck on the auger. It did show some residue, but not much. I then reinstalled the trap and ran the water to see if I made any progress. Well - it still backs up and drains slowly. I am seeking your guidance. Please advise.

concern 2 - Before removing the trap I turned off the hot and cold 'shut off' valves under the sink and when I turned the cold 'shut off valve' back on, it now sprays water right behind the valve itself. Please also assist me with this issue. Need question answered, please ask. I appreciate all your assistance. Thank You all!

Re: slow draining sink and 'shut off' valve spray

Maybe the clog is in the trap itself? or in the tailpiece coming down from the bowl. As far as the water try tightening up the packing nut behind the handle. sometimes once you have the valve fully open it quits leaking.If this doesnt work call a pro sounds likeyou spent enough time on it already.

Comment

wad of hair under stopper wound up on level arm for pop up.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Is hair and matter stuck around the pop-up stopper or on the rod that raises the pop-up? Is the trap piece clear?

I'd expect the drain line to soon enter a larger line which your auger would have reached.

How much water flows before backing up?
        Are you filling a long line with water to the clog or immediate back-up?
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          my 1st thought, too
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Yep, I see that more often than line blockages in bath sinks. I would recommend taking the pop up assembly apart and checking for gunk and hair.
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by pipes15217 View Post
              Maybe the clog is in the trap itself? or in the tailpiece coming down from the bowl. As far as the water try tightening up the packing nut behind the handle. sometimes once you have the valve fully open it quits leaking.If this doesnt work call a pro sounds likeyou spent enough time on it already.
              thanks for your response pipes. the trap was removed and nothing except some muck, which was easily washed out. I will doublecheck the tail pipe coing direct down from the sink - that's also where the pop up mechanism is attached to (by the way, all pvc.)

Is the packing nut directly behind the valve, looks like there is more than one nut there, maybe all one piece? It looks like a standard valve shut off -- one for hot -- one for cold.

Comment

Originally posted by ClickHere4Help
                Sounds like the blockage is further down the line.
                Do you have a sewer diagram for your property?
                This may assist as to another access point to put in cleaning rods etc.
                Are there any other fixtures blocking up?
                Fill all your fixtures up with water and let them go all at the same time as well as leaving taps on. You may need others to help.
                Then you will be able to tell if there is more than just this section of pipe that is blocked.
                http://www.PlumbingServicesOnline.com

thanks for response clickhere4help. It could be further down, no sewer diagram. But I know the sink is also somehow connected to the bathtub/shower. Which could sometimes drains slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                  Is hair and matter stuck around the pop-up stopper or on the rod that raises the pop-up? Is the trap piece clear?

I'd expect the drain line to soon enter a larger line which your auger would have reached.

How much water flows before backing up?
                  Are you filling a long line with water to the clog or immediate back-up?

thanks Robert. I will double check to see if there is anything around the pop-up stopper or rod. The trap is pvc and is all clear. I too would would expect it to get larger further down too right? Maybe not?

The water runs for maybe 15 seconds or so, then begins to back up and then slllloooooowwwwwwllllyyyyy - slowly drain.

Does this make any sense?

I removed the pop up from above the sink -- since I can remember it has always been detached from the metal rod under the sink. In other words, to remove the pop up all I know is to slide it out from the pin from above -- there never seemed to be any screw that I needed to remove. BUT - I guess the rest of the unit - (all PVC) is still attached from below -- that is then connected to the pvc tail pipe, the pvc trap, then curved pvc then copper drain in wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                    my 1st thought, too
                    Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                    Yep, I see that more often than line blockages in bath sinks. I would recommend taking the pop up assembly apart and checking for gunk and hair.
                    thanks. How would I double check the level arm or taking them apart for further inspection.

Comment

If it's taking 15 seconds to start backing up, then it's not the pop up
                      or the pivot rod. Probably at the waste arm tee or the bottom of the
                      stack. Snaking from the roof vent would be the next thing to try.
                      Time to spend a little money on a plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by pw2010 View Post
                        thanks. How would I double check the level arm or taking them apart for further inspection.
                        Is the level arm the rod which moves the pop-up?
                        It pulls straight out after unsrewing the socket-nut behind it.
                        I just replced one which RUSTED off beyond the ball pivot.
                        You'd think they'd make it of a non rusting metal. (But the homeowner frequently used drain cleaner to correct the slow drain which was clogged with hair.)

If it takes 15 seconds for the empty line to refill and back up to the sink, was the restriction merely perforated by your snake?
                        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

'level arm' was a typo lol

meant lever arm

it's under the sink.

the rod that sticks up behind the faucet to move the stopper (here called a 'pop-up') up and down also sticks down and connects to a lever/rod sticking horizontally out the back side of the drain pipe for the sink.

It's usually held in place with a knurled nut or a nut with tabs on it... this is smallish, usually about 1/2" in dia. it is on the back side of the drain pipe coming down from the sink, where the lever goes in. Unscrew the nut and the wholw assy slips out. Becareful not to lose any little seals that might be in there and want to fall out.

pull it (the lever arm) out, and you can then take the pop-up stopper all the way out and see if there isn't a wad of crap on it, or on the lever, or still in the pipe after you pull the pieces loose.

Some pop-ups you can remove w/o taking the lever/rod/actuator loose. They typically come out with a 1/4 turn twist. It's easy to just take the arm out though.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X