X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant find the right toilet!!

Im looking for a floor mounted rear outlet toilet but I'm having trouble finding the right one. All the floor mounted rear outlet toilets I've seen have a 4" height from the floor to the center line of the rear drain outlet. My wall flange is about 1 1/2" lower, just above the floor and the toilet drain and the wall flange aren't lining up. There are no flooring materials that are raising the toilet up. The original toilet matched perfectly with the wall flange and because its an older condo (70's) I was told that this particular toilet is out of production. So my questions are:

Does anyone know where i could find a toilet that has a lower drain? Can a wall mount toilet be used? And, is there any other solutions you can think of?

My condo (7 stories) is on the ground floor and shares a common drain with the toilets above. A plumber told me they might need to open the wall and chip away the concrete to access the cast iron pipe, cut it and raise the flange. This seems excessive and expensive. If you can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!! -Rbucka

Re: Cant find the right toilet!!

I think your plumber is likely correct. A wall mount won't work without some renovations either as it will need a carrier to support the weight of the bowl(and you). I would ask the building manager, if you have one, he may have a replacement or a line on where one can be found.
    Plumbing shop supr.
    My plumbing hobby site - PlumbingHelp.ca

Comment

being a large building, there might be someone remodeling and tossing their toilet. is there a board near the mail boxes to post?

what brand was the old one?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The height was once a standard height.

What has changed (I suspect) is that over the years there has been remodeling. There has been new flooring, tile or whatever, put down on top of old stuff that has made the floor higher. Tear all the floors out of the bath down to the precast concrete (it is precast concrete eventually; there is no other reason for a floor mount wall discharge toilet) and I bet you will find that something will fit then. After that it is a matter of making it look ok, which just needs a quality tile person.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by rbucka View Post
          Im looking for a floor mounted rear outlet toilet but I'm having trouble finding the right one. All the floor mounted rear outlet toilets I've seen have a 4" height from the floor to the center line of the rear drain outlet. My wall flange is about 1 1/2" lower, just above the floor and the toilet drain and the wall flange aren't lining up. There are no flooring materials that are raising the toilet up. The original toilet matched perfectly with the wall flange and because its an older condo (70's) I was told that this particular toilet is out of production. So my questions are:

Does anyone know where i could find a toilet that has a lower drain? Can a wall mount toilet be used? And, is there any other solutions you can think of?

My condo (7 stories) is on the ground floor and shares a common drain with the toilets above. A plumber told me they might need to open the wall and chip away the concrete to access the cast iron pipe, cut it and raise the flange. This seems excessive and expensive. If you can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!! -Rbucka
          that was my thought too alex but the op was pretty through in their post.

in all the new construction jobs i've done. there was only 2 projects that had rear outlet toilets. pretty much limits the floor finish down the road.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

How can he possibly have a center outlet at 2-1/2" off the finished floor with a flange? Seems that the bottom of the flange would have to be flat or recessed below the FF. I've seen quite a few back outlet WC's but never with a rough-in THAT low

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              How can he possibly have a center outlet at 2-1/2" off the finished floor with a flange? Seems that the bottom of the flange would have to be flat or recessed below the FF. I've seen quite a few back outlet WC's but never with a rough-in THAT low
              Exactly. Something doesn't jive. Two St. 45's and some flange adapters.

Centerpiece of the room.

J.C.

Comment

wups... missed that Rick...

I've been in several buildings that have those toilets, and never seen one with it that close to the floor, and ALL of them have issues with the toilets being tiled in or something similar, so figured it was the same deal when I didn't read close enough.

If that's the case, then sorry; no option I can think of but get one of the oddball toilets it came with somehow, or open the wall and raise the outlet. As somone probably said, you need a carrier in the wall for a wall hung toilet, so that doesn't save you opening the wall.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i guess you could always cut the base off

but since the footprint is pretty low, scribing the floor and notching the concrete is not out of the question. then raise the seat with a handicap seat

raising the c/l of the flange is a simple task, but not a simple fix. you'll have to have access to the unit below to access the upright wye to raise the riser.

if you're like us, it's no hub and pretty simple to get the riser out and lengthened. if it's plastic, you'll have to add a coupling under the floor or ceiling below. then add the additional length. shorten up the vent connection and patch.

the big issue is with the unit below. actually you're on the ground floor. is it a slab or sub terranian parking below?

what brand of toilet is it. can you post a photo of the flange and floor? can you post a photo of a toilet in another finished bathroom

rick.

but then again you're in hawaii. this is defiantly not a job for you

you're better off letting me come by and do it
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

The 4" is measured to the centerline of the flange bolts...is that the number you are looking at?

Comment

Thanks guys for the great advice and discussions! But I think your right, I best take a few pictures and post them up so we can see exactly what we are talking about. Give me a few days and ill post some pics. Thanks Again!! You guys are sure efficient.

Comment

Working...
                      X