Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Wall heater will not come on

hello,
    Wall heater pilot is on & stays lit. When I try to turn the thermostat/wall control up, the main burner won't light. Can anyone help me out?
    Thank you

Re: Gas Wall heater will not come on

I would jump out the thermostat wires at the gas control valve. (take a wire and jump from one terminal to the other) If the unit fires you have a bad thermostat. If it doesn't u have a bad gas valve. Not a heating guy but know enough to get by.

Comment

Just like fresno said, you might have a bad thermostat. Jump terminals and see if she lights, if she doesn't, you're probably gonna need a new gas valve.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

also could be a weak pg-9 pilot generateor just enough power

to keep pilot lght on but not enough to power gas valve :d
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Thanks you guys. My income has gone down by over 1/3 & with just Social Security I barely get by.
          Thank you again!

Comment

If you can hear the valve click when the thermostat is turned to where the furnace should come on (or jumped), then the orifice is probably clogged. Spiders like the smell of natural gas and will crawl in and make themselves at home. When the gas clicks on it blows them into the orifice and clogs it up. Sometimes you can get to the orifice without disassembling anything, but often the burner assembly must be pulled to get to it. While you are in there, vacuum it out good. If it gets full of dust bunnies it will cause the furnace to burn badly and can cause failure of the furnace &/or cause it to spill carbon monoxide - which can be fatal. When you put it back together make sure there are no gas leaks and you have a nice blue flame. If it is an orange flame, knock the burner with something a few times. You may have just stirred up dust and that will help it burn off and the flame will eventually turn blue. If the flame stays orange you may need a professional to look at it - carbon monoxide again. In fact, if you are uncomfortable about any of this, get a qualified technician, you may be playing with your life here. If you find a lot of black soot in the furnace, get a pro.

If the PG9 was bad I would expect the pilot to go out when the furnace tried to turn on, assuming there is a wall thermostat and not a built-in hydraulic one (which would have a regular thermocouple and not go out). Spider or bad thermostat would be my guess.

Comment

I used a volt meter to check the voltage at the control valve. When the thermostat is off there is no voltage, when thermostat is raised above room temp, there is 25v, which is required. Are there any other tests, or is this enough info to determine that the gas valve is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnhunter View Post
                I used a volt meter to check the voltage at the control valve. When the thermostat is off there is no voltage, when thermostat is raised above room temp, there is 25v, which is required. Are there any other tests, or is this enough info to determine that the gas valve is bad.
                Have a guy tap on the control valve while you jump the thermostat wires together on and off quickly several times. If it fires then you have a sticking gas valve and it should be replaced right away. If it still will not fire you either have a bad gas control valve or possibly a low gas pressure/volume problem. I guess you eliminated the thermostat being the problem by jumping the contacts on the gas valve and it still not firing. make sure the control knob is set to the on position and not pilot......common mistake that I've found with people who even know better.

Whens the last time you know this heater fired?

Comment

no body mentioned thermocouple ?
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Furnace fired yesterday after I replaced the thermocouple, thinking it was bad. I tested the furnace 3 times and it worked and cycled properly.

Middle of the night it seem cold, so I checked it and it wouldn't fire.

When I jump the 2 contacts on the control valve, I get tiny sparks and didn't hear any click. Do I need to hold the jumper wire on the contacts longer than a couple seconds?

Comment

The furnace started working again last night, now I cant find anything wrong. Would a drop in gas pressure cause problems?

Comment

Working...
                      X