X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tap into an existing gas line for an extra furnace

You answer the phone, "Supahonkey"? That is amazing.

Comment

I carn`t believe what I am reading giving advise on cutting into a gas line to supply an extra furnance to a person who is not qualified to do so I would would have thought that one would need to be licienced plumber or gas fitter to do so and if your house was blown up from a gas leak would your insurance pay I don`t think so.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Actually even a L-R is now illegal in concealed location. A union would be legal but I prefer a L-R for gas. In a concealed location you now have to center-punch a ground joint union to be legal.

Mark
        Mark ,Now I'm confused! I never use ground unions
        IN a structure. I always use a L.R.coupling and nipple. What possible
        problem could this pose over a regular coupling? As You can see this poster has an open ceiling. Thanks Tool
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by supahonkey View Post
          I bought a few fittings at the local plumbing supply store. Surprisingly, Menards was cheaper for everything. Hell, the 1"x1"x3/4" T was almost $1 cheaper at Menards.

I plan on cutting the main pipe and removing both pieces of pipe, cutting threads on them and reinstalling them. I plan on using a T, a nipple, a union and then tying that backing into the existing pipe I just cut the threads on. I talked to a plumber who lives in the neighborhood and he said unions are okay so as long as they aren't concealed. Even when I finish the basement, the union will be in the utility room so it will never be covered up.

My only concern is screwing up and not having gas until the situation is solved. I guess we'll just have to wait until tomorrow morning to see. Because I am cutting the pipe, will the pipe that connects to the meter be tough to unscrew?

Does anyone else, other than Mark, concerned with capacity for a 70,000 btu furnace? It seems as though a lack of capacity would be in the meter restricting flow to the 1" main pipe in the basement. What do you think?
          To be honest,I'm worried about YOUR capacity!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            I carn`t believe what I am reading giving advise on cutting into a gas line to supply an extra furnance to a person who is not qualified to do so I would would have thought that one would need to be licienced plumber or gas fitter to do so and if your house was blown up from a gas leak would your insurance pay I don`t think so.

Tony
            I agree, If You SAY You're An Engineer on this forum
            You get all the GAS line help You need! Never understood this Myself !

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              for some reason they feel that a union can vibrate loose

rick.
              As a Helo x recip Eng Mech . USMC, I know something about vibration
              Where is all this vibration coming from in a gas line? Sometimes I wonder about these folks that come up with this CRAP !

Comment

Originally posted by shacko View Post
                Rick:

>>>unscrewing from the end of the line is usually not practical. unions are not allowed unless at the fixture or meter. but a left and right nipple and coupling is allowed. this is a nipple that is factory threaded with 1 side right hand threads and 1 side left hand threads. same with the coupling.<<<

I work in the N. E. area, left and right nipples and couplings were banned back in the day when it was legal to bend gas pipe.

We can use unions as long as they are not concealed.
                In the N.E. finding LH coupling would be near impossible, nobody carries them for the reasons above, they are illegal. finding the LH die would be another near impossible thing, it would have to be ordered. Unions are perfectly legal under the national gas code as long as they are not concealed. Probably in earthquake areas there may be an ammendment to that but everywhere else a union is legal.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  In the N.E. finding LH coupling would be near impossible, nobody carries them for the reasons above, they are illegal. finding the LH die would be another near impossible thing, it would have to be ordered. Unions are perfectly legal under the national gas code as long as they are not concealed. Probably in earthquake areas there may be an ammendment to that but everywhere else a union is legal.
                  Of course We have ground unions outside at the gas Meters. I like them when running Gas along flat roofs. They can be disassembled in sections for re roofs easily. Have never seen one vibrate Loose! crappety crap!

Comment

jc

you sure it ain't supadonkey? what can i say? what can i say? breid...............

Comment

I ran the pipe today. The whole process was simple and went well. I cut the main pipe and unscrewed both pieces. I cut down what was necessary and cut the threads on the lathe. I then went back and installed a T, a nipple and a union to one pipe and screwed that whole assembly to the other pipe. I then went straight out 13' into the garage, screwed on a 90, a nipple, a valve and a nipple. I purged the new pipe of air and screwed on a cap. I then went around with soapy water and checked for leaks. There were none.

I guess I don't understand why a few people on this post have such a problem with me learning something new. Supadonkey... not enough capacity. Really?

With regards to the L/R coupling, the large local plumbing store had no idea what I was talking about. They also had never seen a LH 3/4-14 die. Sounds like they're illegal here as well.

Thanks to those who were patient in helping me as I learned something new.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post

Tony
                        Tony im not licensed and dont have to be where i live ,i have been doing gas lines for 25 years now .

there are some people that cant do this type of work and you can tell by there first post . supahonkey you did not come across to me that way and with a little help you got it done
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Just a short word on capacity. Just because a gas appliance will operate does not necessarily mean that it has the proper amount of gas delivered to the gas valve. When capacity is exceeded by either insuficient line size or lines that are too long the appliance will operate but not at its mazimum rated firing rate. The only way to know for sure is to know what your pressures are and the length and size of the piping.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by supahonkey View Post
                            With regards to the L/R coupling, the large local plumbing store had no idea what I was talking about. They also had never seen a LH 3/4-14 die. Sounds like they're illegal here as well.

Thanks to those who were patient in helping me as I learned something new.

you normally don't thread the left hand nipple. you buy the nipple and coupling. i think the length is 4.5'' long nipple and the coupling is a standard size coupling. typically the coupling has a red dot and the nipple usually has a knurled pattern cut into the end.

ridgid does make a left hand die, but even i don't own 1

glad you got it all figured out and sounds like you did a good job

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              Tony im not licensed and dont have to be where i live ,i have been doing gas lines for 25 years now .

there are some people that cant do this type of work and you can tell by there first post . supahonkey you did not come across to me that way and with a little help you got it done
                              Well where I live and work if your not registered and or licensed in a particular field of plumbing whether its gas or sanitary then by law your don`t touch it as there are some hefty penalties and on any plumbing work which costs over $750.00 the plumber has to supply a certficate of compliance from the plumbing liciensing authority which guarantees the plumbers workmanship for six years.

Tony

Comment

6 Years ? My drain is blocked again! HUGE ROOTS ! Nothing lasts 6 years anymore !

Comment

Working...
                                X