cordless circular and reciprocating saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cordless circular and reciprocating saw

Can anyone please provide guidance on the capabilities of the cordless circular saw and cordless reciprocating saw. I'm specifically interested in the limits they they may have vs corded versions? Since these are only sold in a kit, I'm wondering if they have much less utility/power. i'm not a contractor or pro, but would rather buy a better product if, for example, i couldn't use the saws for the random jobs that pop up from now and again. E.g. if the reciprocating saw was really only good for cutting dry wall but not 2x4s, i'd prefer to know it now.

Re: cordless circular and reciprocating saw

They have their place but you need a corded back up.I keep both on the job.
    They are great for quick cuts but for much more ya gotta roll out a cord.
    I recently bought a sawsall(corded) and got the biggest they had...12amps I think,knowing that I had my cordless for the small stuff.
    Oh ..it will cut 2 by 4s and rip plywood ,just not all day
    Last edited by IamVince; 11-27-2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
      They have their place but you need a corded back up.I keep both on the job.
      They are great for quick cuts but for much more ya gotta roll out a cord.
      I recently bought a sawsall(corded) and got the biggest they had...12amps I think,knowing that I had my cordless for the small stuff.
      Oh ..it will cut 2 by 4s and rip plywood ,just not all day
      that's why you have extra batteries and a charger, I've built a number of houses with my milwakee cordless drill/screwgun...only corded tools I use are the ones I haven't replaced with cordless tools...

Comment

Originally posted by mga56grg View Post
        Can anyone please provide guidance on the capabilities of the cordless circular saw and cordless reciprocating saw. I'm specifically interested in the limits they they may have vs corded versions? Since these are only sold in a kit, I'm wondering if they have much less utility/power. i'm not a contractor or pro, but would rather buy a better product if, for example, i couldn't use the saws for the random jobs that pop up from now and again. E.g. if the reciprocating saw was really only good for cutting dry wall but not 2x4s, i'd prefer to know it now.
        a good reciprocating saw will demolish anything...do online product before you buy there are new/better toys coming out all the time...

Comment

i have a Dewalt cordless sawsall that is 7yrs old and only sent it out 1 time for repair and i replaced the out side plastic one time . it is the only sawsall i use and i cut a lot of pipe with it
          so a good cordless will work good with good batteries , they will go down fast
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I saw the Jobmax in Home Depot and thought it would be good to have since I don't have anything resembling it. I hoped it came with some examples of uses, but the literature did not. Could anyone point me to a source of how to use this tool please. Greatly appreciated in advance.

Comment

flossing? breid..................

Comment

Milwaukee 18 volt sawzall. It cuts everything and works all day.

Comment

I have Dewalt cordless,

on the reciprocating saw, I see little difference on the capabilities of the cordless vs the old commercial skil brand recipicating saw I have, besides the run time, but in my situation I find the run time of the cordless more than adequate for 90% of the things I have done with it,

I have a earlier generation of the smaller Dewalt circular saw, first it is undersized, but will cut a 2x4, but the run time is short, and in a framing situation it is not the saw for you, but to cut a few pieces or to use up on a ladder, where having a heavy cored tool would be difficult, the corded less saw has some real advantages,

but on small fix it jobs I will many times just take a number of batteries and the cordless tools and not even load up the corded tools any more,

if I was going to do a lot of 2x cutting or a lot of sheet goods I would string out cords and get the worm drive out,

one thing also to consider IMO if on is not going to be using them often to me the batteries only last so long for most of them, used or not used, and it seems to me that not using is nearly as hard on them as using them hard, (this is the Ni cad I am referring as I have no experience with the new ones),
                  (IMO the batteries are the weak link on the cordless tool systems, ( first of all the run time of the batteries, two the actual life of the battery, and the universality of the battery),
                  for example, if I would buy two or three different manufactures of tools, (in most cases none of the batteries interchange, and some companies have changed from time to time there configuration,

So for example IF I have one manufacture tools the batteries goes bad, I replace one or two batteries and I am back in business, now if I have three different companies, and one company batteries or charger goes bad, I have to replace that units with new and then the next tools as well and in time the third tool, so I have keep with a single voltage and battery type, for a number of tools,
                  and depending on the situation, and if your using two or three tools it is nice to have a battery in each tool being used and one (at least on the charger), some times two on the chargers, and one usually can work reasonable continuously,

and if the tool is not "name brand" one may not ever even be able to get a replacement battery, or at least not easily,

Yes I like my cordless tools, and think for the most part they live up to there expectations, they are not corded tools, but that being said many a cordless tool will out preform some corded tools, again it is if your comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, but if both tools are of similar quality only comparing corded to cordless usually the corded tools will out preform the cordless version, but the differences are getting narrower ever day,

but for a 7 amp 120 volt tool, is 840 watts, now for that tool to be cordless say 18 volts, 47 amps of power that little battery has to provide, in an equal situation of resistance,
                  so some times (such in reciprocating saws the stroke is shortened or the top speed of it is less so there is more gear reduction, so the amps are not as great, but this usually effects the cutting performance of the tools some as well,

so to take a commercial line of tools normally your cordless tools will perform similar to the lower end of the corded commercial tools, even if there the top of the line in the cordless line up,

and normally you can save a lot going corded for equal performance, cordless is convenience.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

As WYLY stated ,a cordless drill/screwdriver can be used throughout the day, but that is a lot different then the power you draw with a sawzall and even worse a circular saw. You'd have to have 10 extra batteries and a helper swapping them to keep up with those specific corded tools. The cordless circular saws are good for thin material such as plywood but get bogged down and don't last long when you start cutting larger timber. The cordless sawzalls will give you a couple cuts through a 2" galvanized pipe...but that's about it. XRP last somewhat longer.....Lithium Ion a bit longer then that. Every tool has it's use.

Comment

Working...
                    X