X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Heater Overflow

We had a new 48 gallon, 65,000 BTU, natural gas hot water heater installed in March of 2010.

Recently, we have started to collect a half gallon of water a week through the overflow.

Hopefully, this isn't too dumb of a question, but, do I need my contractor to come back out?

I've spent my life in the electrical field but I always need some help with plumbing.

Thank you!

Re: Hot Water Heater Overflow

I would repeatedly open and gently close the T&P (temperature and pressure) valve to flush out anything in the valve seat.
    If the leak does not stop, I would gently tap on the center pin, to which the handle is attached, to better seat the valve.

If that fails to work, I would close both inlet and outlet vales,open the T&P valve to prevent a vacuum in the tank,
    drain water out of the tank until no more passes through the T&P. Then screw in a new T&P valve.

If there is a pipe attached to the T&P valve, I would cut it off flush with the valve and shove it up into the new valve.

I am not a plumber.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-27-2010, 09:31 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

do you see drips of water on the bottom of the pipe from the t&p valve
      do you see water around the bottom of the water heater ,the heater should be up a little and not sitting in the pan
      i would drain all the water out of the pan and dry it up then look to see where it coming from
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

you should refrain from giving plumbing advice and stick to sweeping chimneys. the t&p valve is probably doing what it is designed to do, check your water pressure before you change what might be a perfectly good t&p valve, pressure coming into the house should be about 60lbs.
        The Other Rick

Comment

is there a check valve on the inlet side or coming into the house, (one way valve)?
          if there is is there a expansion tank?
          if there is an expansion tank, it is working correctly (water logged) or is the pressure set correctly in it, or pressure in it.

when water heats it expands, and if there is a one way valve in the system, this expanded water has no place to go, and will increase the pressure in the tank to the point that it will cause the T&P valve to drip to release the pressure,

this web page will give you some more info on the expansion of water and expansion tanks,
          http://www.watts.com/pages/learnAbou...n.asp?catId=64

this may or may not be your problem but is one place to check.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Another thing that can be causing the T&P to be spitting water is a closed system with out an expansion tank. I see tons of calls about the T&P spitting water now and then, something caused it to spit in the first place, so after investigating I found that they needed an expansion tank. In most cases there was one but the handyman they hired to install their heater decided it was not needed, and told the owners the plumbers are just trying to up-sell them a product they do not need. Once I put the expansion tank in the problem was solved.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

you have a high output water heater. thermal expansion is causing a rise in water pressure. i rather doubt it's a temperature issue. so as other have said, check your incoming pressure and if it's below 80# then an expansion tank will take care of your issues.

you either have a check valve of some sort located on the cold inlet to the heater or the house. or you have more than 150# prior to your home regulator.

they sell $10-15 pressure gauges with a tattle tale needle that will show the maximun pressure that the gauge went to.

you can screw it into the lower hose bibb on the heater and let it sit overnight. also if you have any dripping or running fixtures, you would have been protected from thermal expansion.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

i dont know if it is the T&P he did not say where it was coming from
                thats why i said to dry it all up and keep an eye on it
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Thanks much for your help!

I'll get started tomorrow and see what I can figure out

Again, Thank you

Comment

As I agree with most all on what they said I would look at what you have now to what the info some have given but I would also remember if I installed your heater I would have given you a one year warenty and I would stand by that . Now if you take things in you own hands and try to fix something yourself you just void the warenty as you said the water heater was just installed 3/2010 so my sugestion is call the plumber who installed it back . Just be carefull PLEASE
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by jabgpc View Post
                      Thanks much for your help!

I'll get started tomorrow and see what I can figure out

Again, Thank you
                      No Brainer! Install a 2 Gal, expansion tank in the cold water feed,tank side, of shut off valve. Do a search here on old threads for info. Good Luck.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                      X