X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX pipe help!

I recently built a new home and all of my water lines are ran with PEX pipe. I noticed when I turn the Hot water on, the PEX lines stretch and bend a lot more than I think they should. Some of the 90 degree corners look like they might snap under the forced pressure.

Is this normal? I only noticed this when I painted my basement ceiling with primer and black paint. I left the floor joist's open. The main part of my basement is a gym and I wanted a commercial look. Rather than dry-walling the ceiling, I rented a sprayer and sprayed everything, duct work, electrical, joists, and water lines etc...

Where the PEX line run's through the joist's I could not hit it with a sprayer. When the water lines heat up, I can see approx. 1 1/2" of un-sprayed PEX line. When the pipes cool I can no longer see the unpainted PEX line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: PEX pipe help!

it's normal for pex, you're supposed to limit your use of 90's and bow the pipe.

You're also not supposed to get paint on pex.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

What does paint do to PEX?

Comment

It reducers expansion and contraction especially on hot water lines.

Tony

Comment

When I contacted Uponor about spray foam coming in contact with their product, their reply was essentially to not allow any product to come into contact with their fittings, wrap them with several layers of plastic and zip tie the ends closed before spraying. And that the coating manufacturer would need to test their product compatibility with the piping and provide their own documentation to uponor to maintain the warranty.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Pex should not be pointed.

Which brand of pex did you use?

Last edited by ruplumber; 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruplumber View Post
              pex should not be pointed.

Which brand of pex did you use?
              or painted !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
                I recently built a new home and all of my water lines are ran with PEX pipe. I noticed when I turn the Hot water on, the PEX lines stretch and bend a lot more than I think they should. Some of the 90 degree corners look like they might snap under the forced pressure.

Is this normal? I only noticed this when I painted my basement ceiling with primer and black paint. I left the floor joist's open. The main part of my basement is a gym and I wanted a commercial look. Rather than dry-walling the ceiling, I rented a sprayer and sprayed everything, duct work, electrical, joists, and water lines etc...

Where the PEX line run's through the joist's I could not hit it with a sprayer. When the water lines heat up, I can see approx. 1 1/2" of un-sprayed PEX line. When the pipes cool I can no longer see the unpainted PEX line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                The expansion and contraction is normal in PEX. Painting the PEX is not so you may want to start a budget to replace all of the painted PEX before it fails.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

eventually you will have showers for your gym. smooth. breid...............

Comment

Also, I would not have painted the electrical wiring.

Comment

Working...
                    X