X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubbles in basement toilet

Recently, bubbles have been rising in a basement toilet. I think it is occurring when laundry is being done on the main level (of a ranch home). We have a septic tank system so I'm wondering if the septic tank is full and needs to be pumped. Last time it was pumped was in 2006.

Does this sound like a septic tank issue or could it possibly be something else?

Re: bubbles in basement toilet

How many people are in the home?

How old is the septic system?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

4 people in home.

House/septic was built in 1999.

Comment

Could be a number of things but it may be a good idea to have the tank cleaned anyway.

Most common problem I find on septic systems is clogged inlet baffle. Septic cleaners rarely clean this part of the tank and over time debris builds up. This video is of a tank that was put in around the same time as yours.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_4niorr7uJk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_4niorr7uJk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Another common problem on newer tanks (yours may or may not even have one) is clogged effluent filter on the outlet end.

Could also just be a partial clog in the pipe some where between the toilet and the tank.

Going on 5yrs since last cleaning with 4 people, I don't think you'd be wasting money by having it cleaned even if its not the problem. Opinions differ wildly on time lines for cleaning but I'd say it's something you should consider having done fairly soon regardless.

Also it was pumped in 2006. Did the company come recommended from Friends/neighbors or did you just find someone in the yellow pages?
          I ask because my area has a few outfits that just pump tanks and not actually clean them. I've seen scum 1' 1/2 thick floating in tanks that where "cleaned" 6 months ago.
          Last edited by Gene Bickford; 11-28-2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

OK, so in addition to a company pumping our septic, I should also ask if they "clean" it as well, correct?

Comment

Well they all CLAIM they clean tanks, but do they?
              Thats why you should ask friends/neighbors who they recommend.
              Best bet is to ask the group of old duffers that hang out at the coffee shop every morning.

Even good cleaners rarely check the inlet and outlet so you will have to request this and be charged more or you can do it yourself.

Comment

have no idea on about septic tanks, but i have tons of experience with soap suds and toilets.

the majority of suds are from excess soap or cleaning additives.

have you changed soaps, or additives?

have you tried "he" / high efficiency soap yet?

is there someone else doing the laundry now?

this is a real big problem with multi level buildings. the bottom floor can take a beating when the upper floor neighbor overdoes the laundry.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I didn't even consider actual bubbles like the soap kind

I thought he/she was talking about water bubbling back into the WC

Comment

I thought he was talking about Michael Jackson's monkey.
                    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Working...
                    X