Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweeping at 8 p.m. Warmed hands over water heater vent.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweeping at 8 p.m. Warmed hands over water heater vent.

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
    if you plug vent where will you get "lost heat" to warm the basement? when wh calls for heat power damper will have to open or wh will shut down if everything is installed to snuff. there were a lot of those installed here in the 80s. there were also just about as many uninstalled. as the rickster said they are finicky. breid...
    At least the heat from the water heater will remain in the basement instead of being lost up a 5-inch hole to the outdoors.
    And without a heat-strengthened draft, cold air won't be pulled in to the house to further chill the basement.

Wish I could measure water temperature and operate a 24-volt gas valve electrically as the furnace burner is operated.
    It would open the damper, then once damper is fully open, connect current to open the gas valve.
    If I open the jacket and attach a temperature sensor to the tank wall, it will take too long to fire-up the heater when hot water is drawn.
    I need to get a discarded water heater to see how its thermostat works.
    Maybe I could make use of its mechanical parts to operate an electric switch.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-03-2010, 06:32 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

this basically what one is going to see, on a gas valve, for a water heater, (note: the picture is for a RV unit, but the residential units are nearly the same).

thermostat for electric, (note: is designed to be able to handle the load of heater element)
      this has the over heat safety on it as well,

how one is wired, in a normal electric how water heater,
      http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-w...ermostats.html
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 12-03-2010, 12:45 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thank you.

If the electric thermostat had the same probe and treads, I could screw it into the gas water heater tank and have it control a damper which then controls a typical furnace gas valve!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
          At least the heat from the water heater will remain in the basement instead of being lost up a 5-inch hole to the outdoors.
          And without a heat-strengthened draft, cold air won't be pulled in to the house to further chill the basement.

Wish I could measure water temperature and operate a 24-volt gas valve electrically as the furnace burner is operated.
          It would open the damper, then once damper is fully open, connect current to open the gas valve.
          If I open the jacket and attach a temperature sensor to the tank wall, it will take too long to fire-up the heater when hot water is drawn.
          I need to get a discarded water heater to see how its thermostat works.
          Maybe I could make use of its mechanical parts to operate an electric switch.
          Nope, there are several power vent water heaters that use a standard surface mounted electric thermostats (like the ones pictured above) to control the water temperature in the tank. It's usually mounted low on the tank on the cold water side.

But you don't need to do all that. There is already a product that you mount on the top of the heater. It's a thermally activated damper. When the burner comes on and heats the flue gases the fins inside this device open up and allow hot gases up the chimney. When it cools, the fins close leaving a gap just wide enough for the pilot to warm the chimney. Uses no electricity.

I should mention this product was recalled. It killed and injured hundreds of people because of carbon monoxide poisoning but don't let that stop you from reengineering your water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            ...I should mention this product was recalled. It killed and injured hundreds of people because of carbon monoxide poisoning but don't let that stop you from reengineering your water heater.
            I don't let little things like CO bother me.
            I would never trust such a device.
            But if I could find it, I would try it since we now have excellent, battery-operated CO alarms.

But I like the electric damper better. If it malfunctions and does not fully open, the burner cannot come on.

Comment

Sorry guys but I must say I am shocked. Down here we are actually screaming at our regulators to enforce the code to alleviate such things as yo are trying to do. Human life is worth more wouldnt you say. Earlier this year we lost two little kids to CO poisoning. Their poor distraught mother was accused due to marital issues and was exposed to some extremely unfair treatment.
              Take a step back and ask yourself some simple questions. If this was meant to be why did the manufacturer not incorporate this feature in their original design. Also how can yo be in you right mind thinking that a battery CO meter is infallible. Are you insane. Are you a responsible Gasfitter Plumber or are you just another HACK who tries to justify through the money issue. When I did my Apprenticeship we were told we are like Guardians of the community. We know better adn should act as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                Sorry guys but I must say I am shocked. Down here we are actually screaming at our regulators to enforce the code to alleviate such things as yo are trying to do. ... If this was meant to be why did the manufacturer not incorporate this feature in their original design. Also how can yo be in you right mind thinking that a battery CO meter is infallible. Are you insane. Are you a responsible Gasfitter Plumber or are you just another HACK who tries to justify through the money issue. ...
                I am merely a hack.
                The electric damper cannot close a switch until it is fully open. So if the damper fails for whatever reason, no burner operation.

I have seen things done just to make money. Such terribly inefficient heat exchangers and wondered why they weren't made just a little morefficient.

When you consider how much heat has been exhausted outdoors for decades, just because the water heater manufacturers didn't care, it is shameful.

Comment

cleanman is spot on. i'm also a licensed electrician. anything electrical can and will malfunction. period. i'm 66 and i cannot think of one type of electrical equipment that was not defective. one. breid...............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                    ... i cannot think of one type of electrical equipment that was not defective. one. breid
                    It fails safe.
                    Contacts cannot close until the damper is fully open.
                    Also I have a battery-powered CO alarm in the basement and one outside our bedrooms.

Comment

crack is also spot on. breid...................

Comment

Found the can of Stove Black which is used to paint potbellied stoves and parlor stoves and stove pipes.

Black surfaces radiate more heat.

Years ago the fire in my potbellied stove got too hot and made the bottom glow red.
                        It charred the stove's black surface into a white ashen color.
                        As an experiment I applied stove black justo the front half of the stove.
                        During the next fire, I could easily feel thathe blackened side radiated MUCH more heat than the lighter surface.

I'll paint the 5-inch galvanized pipe of the forced draft furnace. Leaving the furnace it goes immediately from 3" to 5".
                        Connect a relay which will close when the gas valve is energized.
                        The relay will send 120 VAC to a fan to blow basement air againsthe hot black pipe.
                        Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-09-2010, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X