X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise in the pipes?

I live in an apartment and i've been having an issue with this noise coming from the pipes or pipe inbetween the bathroom and kitchen area. The noise is like a tick/dripping noise. I thought it was just happening whenever I used any kind of water (kitchen or bathroom) but it seems it is now making the noise more frequently. Whenever I run any kind of water the noise ALWAYS occurs, and some times is a more rapid dripping noise. The noise is constant, it "drips" 24/7. It happens with hot or cold water and when I have my heater on or off. I was told my maintenance that it is the pipe expanding & conracting, but I don't get why it would be doing this when I do not use water for hours and hours or not at all. Can someone help me out with this issue? Thanks.

Re: Noise in the pipes?

Read this thread:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30903

Comment

I actually have the same problem, and there's probably little you can do about it, unless it bothers you enough to open walls or ceilings.

The telltale that's it's thermal expansion versus water hammer is the ticking sound.

When the plumbing was installed, the plumber either drilled holes too tight, and/or used metal clips on hot lines and left no room for movement on the pipes.

What you're hearing is thermal expansion/contraction, the pipes are ticking when the temperature changes from running hot water (also cold if the pipe was warmer than incoming water temps prior to running water), you also might hear it as the pipes cool after use.

Comment

yes, it's an expansion and contracting noise.

since you live in a multi-unit building, the noise will come and go as your upper and lower neighbors use the water.

if the temperature is maintained to a constant temperature the noise should go away.

the rapid tick is typically from a sudden thermal change. more so from the hot side.

how old is the building/ plumbing?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Many appt. buildings have a hot water recirculating pump with loop.
          These work all the time ! GET EARPLUGS OR MOVE !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The hot water pipe cooling off
            Rockwood Excavating
            Rockwood Snow Plowingsigpic
            wooden burl bowls

Comment

If the pipe is rubbing against something as it expands and contracts, how long until it wears thin enough to leak?? I would think rubbing against a stud or joist is fairly abrasive.

Comment

Originally posted by bml View Post
                If the pipe is rubbing against something as it expands and contracts, how long until it wears thin enough to leak?? I would think rubbing against a stud or joist is fairly abrasive.
                It depends on what Its rubbing on, Normally wood, And It that case no worrys, It will last a long time.
                The pipe could be too tight In a drilled hole, or a copper pipe clamp.

Sometimes waste pipes creek as well

Dan
                Rockwood Excavating
                Rockwood Snow Plowingsigpic
                wooden burl bowls

Comment

Working...
                X