Water Softener Drain question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Softener Drain question

My water softener is in the garage. I have a utility sink that I put in there, too.

I would like to connect the water softener drain to the sink drain. My idea is to install an air gap on the sink deck; run the softener drain line to the air gap, and from there connect up to the sink drain, just like you would with a dishwasher in the kitchen.

Is this a legal approach?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Water Softener Drain question

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
    My water softener is in the garage. I have a utility sink that I put in there, too.

I would like to connect the water softener drain to the sink drain. My idea is to install an air gap on the sink deck; run the softener drain line to the air gap, and from there connect up to the sink drain, just like you would with a dishwasher in the kitchen.

Is this a legal approach?

Thanks for the help!
    In 99% of the country just terminating the drain over the sink would be legal. However, there are some areas where salt from the softeners have entered waterways or ground water after the treatment plant. In those areas you cannot drain the water into the municipal sewers.

In Santa Clarita, all existing water softeners must be removed from service to protect the Santa Clara River. As such, check with your local building department just in case.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      In 99% of the country just terminating the drain over the sink would be legal.
      ^^^ This.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Mark, here they are complaining about the salt - in the Bay area they complain about EVERYTHING - but so far not requiring existing softeners to go away. Mine is not a new softener, just a new drain scheme. I was previously using the washing machine drain, but I'm just finishing up a new laundry room and that drain is not the best option anymore.

As for running the hose in to the sink, I'm pretty sure that would be legal... that's what most people in the area seem to be doing.

But my problem is that I'm looking for cleaner look to the installation. It's a nice garage and a nice stainless prep sink with foot valve, that I installed a year or so ago... actually, it's a small restaurant sink.... I don't really want a hose hanging over the edge.

So... in order to keep the drain hose underneath and out of sight, can I assume that an airgap in the line with the drain line connected underneath before the trap would be ok? Or better still, is the airgap even necessary? Would a simple loop be ok? I would think that some sort of backflow provision makes sense and is probably required.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X