• Thoughts ?

Guys do this much in new installs?
    Attached Files

Re: Thoughts ?

Looks great!
    What is it?
    Heat exchanger?
    Why there?
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

looks like an expansion joint.

anytime the vertical developed length is more than 20' we had to do it. both on the waste and vents. we used an expansion telescoping fitting. they had 2'' of travel both directions as we preloaded them at the 1/2 way point.

or is that some fancy soap dissipater for the laundry stack is that a waste and vent stack combination. we can't do that.

rick.

i guess at 5:53 am on a 8.1'' netbook with the lights off and joey and phoebe sleeping, i didn't see the water piping connected all i saw was what looks like corrigated copper for expansion/ contraction. maybe i should use the big screen tv as a monitor
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-06-2010, 10:15 PM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Looks like some kind of weird heat Exchanger .... On a Vent stack ???

Remove it and send it to me ... LOL

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
          Looks like some kind of weird heat Exchanger .... On a Vent stack ???

Remove it and send it to me ... LOL
          Obviously You fixed the fuel tank cracks! What time is the launch ?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Is it for pre warming water before it goes into tank? Me thinks that a condensation puddle would be a result.

Comment

It's called a: "waste water heat recovery system".

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                It's called a: "waste water heat recovery system".
                I accomplish that by leaving my shower water in the bathtub until it cools.
                Would not such an exchanger best be on a horizontal length of pipe where water would pool and linger in contact to transmit heat?
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Lots of systems out there, here is one that has similar look to the one shown in earlier posts:

http://gfxtechnology.com/Femp-ORNL.pdf

I saw a similar system at Sears (a display model)...didn't have a price on it but I expect the price to be high and pay back to take years (as is usually the case with many of these enegry saving devices).

Comment

How could it EVER pay back, when water which may barely be warm is only briefly in contacct with the heat exchanger?

If the gray water were in a pool, that could take the chill out of incoming water.

(The first time I washed our car at our brand new used house, the water from the garden hose was slightly warm!
                    Was the water heater somehow back-feeding through the cold water supply?
                    In the basement I felt the incoming water line.
                    We are close enough to a pumping station that our city water is warm.)

This seems like that electronic water softener device.
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-06-2010, 06:06 PM.

Comment

For it to have any useful recovery, you would need to install below the laundry box tee. And don't forget to add dilithium christals. Tool will sell them to you.

Comment

We put 15 of those in last year at a college dorm bldg.,the whole bldg was on geo-thermal for everything(domestic,radiant,fan coils,etc.),the engineer said they would raise the incoming cold water temp.by 15 deg.,so now his water to water heat exchangers at each bath picked up 15 deg. in temp rise.One went in on each floor in the vertical stack that the showers and lavs above discharged to,closets went to a separate stack. For example the cold water for a third floor shower/lav group fed into the bottom of the coil on the second floor and then was piped up to the third floor to a water to water heat exchanger that heated the "pre-heated" water to 128 deg.,then thru a master mixing valve to the showers/lavs.It was all good in principal,but they had trouble heating the domestic water fast enough as it went thru the final heat exchanger,the engineer said he could make 130 deg. water all day long,not really.They got most of the dorm showers to work o.k. after some adjustment to the shower head flow rate and some pump rates. The 12 showers in the locker rooms still overwhelm the heat exchanger for them,he hasn't come up with a final fix for them yet.They are piped thru a heat exchanger,then a storage tank,thru a mixing valve,then to the showers. No photo's so don't ask.
                        Last edited by leakfree; 12-06-2010, 07:02 PM.
                        Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

There is still time to convert them to make MOONSHINE
                          Its legal here and there making it

Comment

Is that a AAV on the trap arm?

Comment

del. i made when it wasn't legal. mostly for the he'll of it. breid.............

Comment

Working...
                              X