Circulating pump cuts out too soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Circulating pump cuts out too soon

Every cast iron rad has a valve except the biggest one that lives in the front hall closest to the thermostat. Tweaking all the rads might feed the cooler rad better but the rest of the house would suffer.
    The 4081 aquastat has a lo set at 120 and a high setting at 180. I understand that some systems let the pump run continuously. I presume that is a energy hog or might that be acceptable during the spring and fall when this problem exists the worst?

Comment

The rest of the house wouldn't suffer, the zone runs as long as the T-stat calls for heat.

At any rate, good luck.

Comment

It will overheat the other zone but, if the radiator is truly way to far away from the main piping, the only real solution is to break it off the loop and give it it's own circulator or leave it in the loop and give it it's own circulator.
        sigpic

Comment

That would work, I'd still try restricting flow to the other radiators first, before getting into anything more intensive.

Comment

Originally posted by brucarr View Post
            Have a basement radiator that doesn't get as hot as the other rads as it is a greater distance from the boiler than the others. Boiler is a Slant Fin GG125 with Aquastat L 4081 Controller. Can I set the controller to make the pump run a little longer? If not, any suggestions?
            Friend had same problem in her tri-level house lower level bedroom.
            Heating company replaced zone valves in a previous year but that did not correct the problem.
            Zone valves worked perfectly.
            I manually closed the zone valves and isolated and flushed the branch.
            Out came black water and air.
            Flushed at full force until clear and no air.
            No valves to restrict flow to other radiators, so I considered moving the thermostat to her room.
            But I think baseboard radiators had a flap which could restrictheir heat output.
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-11-2010, 04:26 PM.
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Robert,
              He already bled for air, but a flush would certainly be a good move.

Zone vales are a way to isolate flow to specific zones that are individually triggered by separate T-stats (and relay to the boiler circuit as well) in a system that uses one circulator.

In this case, going by his diagram, he'd have to repipe and rewire the zone into separate zones to accomplish this, NhMaster briefly touched on that alternative.

If the only thing he wants to accomplish is getting the last radiator to heat in conjunction with the others, flow restriction to the radiators that are getting the bulk of the heat (path of least resistance) is the simplest alternative, using the radiator valves as if they're circuit setters, valves that are used to balance out individual radiators in a monoflow or parallel system like the one in his diagram.

He has the added bonus of already having valves on the old steam type radiators he could us for this purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Robert,
                He already bled for air, but a flush would certainly be a good move.
                Thanks. I had not seen any responses.
                Would be nice if he can balance the radiators by partially closing valves of the closeradiators.
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM.
                I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

I have adjusted the rads throughout the house little by little over the last couple of days as recommended to restrict flow but as stated earlier the biggest rad in the house right across from the thermostat does not have a valve to adjust (only one in the house without a valve) The rad in question and the ones in other rooms are not as hot as the big one now which is so hot it keeps turning off the thermostat before the others can get warm. So now my problem is in every room in the house except the room where the thermostat is. Maybe I should move the thermostat to another room?

Comment

Bru, at this point it looks like the single radiator is going to be an issue, at least you tried.

I'd suggest having a plumber look to see about either adding a valve for the sole radiator without the valve, but also have him weigh other options to induce circulation to the last radiator while he's there.

Comment

Thanks for all your Help Duck. Everyone has been great.
                      I have re-opened all the valves on all the rads just in time for this latest cold snap - everything has returned to normal throughout the house. When it's cold everything works well, it's when the temperature ranges around freezing or just above that the problem rad gets lazy - kinda like my brother-except he's lazy year round.
                      I'll go back to bypassing the pump control shutoff and run the pump continuously during these warmer periods - A manual setup, that seems to work as long as I watch the weather.

Comment

Working...
                      X