X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is insulation supposed to be here??

I had to tear out the drywall in a first floor soffit due to an leak in an upstairs toilet shutoff. When I pulled the drywall down, a load of wet blow in insulation dropped out. (That was a fun surprise!) The entire sofit was filled with it and it also had migrated down into the connecting wall cavities.

The soffit contains hot & cold copper as well as tub and toilet plastic drains. It runs at right angles to the outside wall and all plumbing is at least 12" from the outside wall which is insulated with fiberglas bats.

Apart from noticing California's piping insulation code (I'm in Ohio), I've never heard of any requirement to insulate interior spaces which contain plumbing.

Everything's cleaned up and fixed now and I'm getting ready to put the drywall back, but am wondering why insulation was there and if I should replace it for some reason?

Re: Is insulation supposed to be here??

it was most likely there for sound control, and cellulose insulation blow in does this very well as it is soft and dense, If your pipes are plastic DWV, then you will now most likely hear ever time someone uses water or flushes, or uses the upstairs sink,

and if it was around the water pipes it may have been there to help keep them from freezing,

over packed fiberglass made dense will help deaden the sound,

http://www.ehow.com/how_15992_soundproof-room.html
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

OK, I'll check the sound issue. I didn't think potential freezing was involved since it's an interior space. If sound isn't a problem, could I just use foam pipe wraps on the copper?

Comment

Its the flushing sound out of the big plastic pipe you will hear

Comment

Yep, I checked last night and that's no doubt what all the insulation was for. Without it, the flushing noise from upstairs was pretty loud. I'll get some roll insulation and wrap everything up real good before putting the drywall back. Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X