X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Straightening Pex

Copper is only as good as the installer and the enviroment it is installed in. I've repaired countless bad solder joints,paper thin copper pipe and copper pipe that has frozen and bursted,copper pipe that has been hit by lightning. Copper is far from the perfect material.

If you want the best pipe your project with sch 40 stainless steel and have it welded. Sure you can afford it......but do you want to?

Comment

I'm not a welder by trade, but would welding stainless hurt its properties? Like when you weld galvanized steel you have to remove the zinc before you weld, so all your welds are at rick of rusting out.
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
        I'm not a welder by trade, but would welding stainless hurt its properties? Like when you weld galvanized steel you have to remove the zinc before you weld, so all your welds are at rick of rusting out.
        I'm no Weldor either and you make a good point. Lets do a change order and have threaded joints or use stainless steel compression fittings that are nuclear rated. A 1/2 valve will set ya back a couple hundred bucks....but the mofo will work in 25 years

Comment

no worries guys. they make stainless propress
          rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            no worries guys. they make stainless propress
            rick.
            And for those worried about the propress seal they can cut and thread it. Problem solved.

Comment

What's the going rate for 20' of 1/2 SS pipe? $100, $150, $200? Grainger has the fittings. A 1/2" propress coupling will cost you 18 bucks. Not bad I guess when that fitting will most likely outlast me....
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                What's the going rate for 20' of 1/2 SS pipe? $100, $150, $200? Grainger has the fittings. A 1/2" propress coupling will cost you 18 bucks. Not bad I guess when that fitting will most likely outlast me....
                I bought some 3/4"x4" 316 stainless steel sch 40 nipples for 4.75 each and thats a good price considering I only bought 8 of them. It gets expensive really quick. I dont know how much the pipe is

Comment

NHMaster, I notice that among the products that you are railing against is CSST. Is this an unsatisfactory product? I recently had a length of black iron pipe replaced due to rust-out because of contact with the soil (due to poor support in crawl space) under an old farm house in rural Miss. The service man from our local propane supply company used CSST for the repair. Is this not a professionally accepted method of gas plumbing?

Comment

Originally posted by thiggy View Post
                    NHMaster, I notice that among the products that you are railing against is CSST. Is this an unsatisfactory product? I recently had a length of black iron pipe replaced due to rust-out because of contact with the soil (due to poor support in crawl space) under an old farm house in rural Miss. The service man from our local propane supply company used CSST for the repair. Is this not a professionally accepted method of gas plumbing?
                    SCH40 black iron cannot withstand improper installation in conditions it was never intended to endure.

Someone encased a black iron pipe in a concrete steps leading out of a basement, it rusted completely through and the house exploded as a result.

I've seen flex supplies for gas lines get a hole rubbed in them passing through a floor, the floor being wet and changing the smell, almost smelling like a sewer smell.

Flexible gas line is a shortcut, no matter which way you look at it.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

acceptable by code, yes. Acceptable by my standards, no.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X