X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straightening Pex

I'm plumbing my house with Pex. This is the first time I've used this material, and after buying expensive fittings and trying to wrestle the material to go straight, I'm kind of wishing I'd gone with copper. I'm not sure if it would have been more expensive, if at all, by the time it's all said and done. But since I have all the materials, I might as well finish with it. My question is, is there a way to straighten this stuff, other than trying to bend it by hand. That works for a while, but the stuff is pretty hard to bend if you have a short piece or at the ends in 3/4" and it always seems to want to return to its coiled state. Is there a way to heat it or something to get it to lie straight? It is not so bad along the joists where I can put in supports, but in areas where it can't be supported readily, like going down to my water softener, it does not look too good.

Re: Straightening Pex

I buy most of my pex in 20' lenghts.....I hate rolls unless I'm installing it underground.

Comment

20' if avaliable are straight.

a heat gun is used to repair a spot that kinks. but i doubt you will straighten out a roll with it.

are you working in a cold enviroment? as it warms up, it's less likely to coil.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        20' if avaliable are straight.

a heat gun is used to repair a spot that kinks. but i doubt you will straighten out a roll with it.

are you working in a cold enviroment? as it warms up, it's less likely to coil.

rick.
        Not real hot, but not cold. I would think it would have to be quite warm to loosen it up any.

Comment

For production work guys use uncoilers on the pipe. That said place the pex in a warm room and string it out placing any kind of weighted objects you have to remove the coil shape. Any short areas you need heat to relax the pex to make it go where you need.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

When pex is heated to straighten out a kink it greatly reduces the pipes ability to expand . Its not really feeze burst resistant after heating it to straighten out a kink. I've left a coil in an attic for a few days in 100 degree weather and it still was hard to straighten out and keep straight.

Comment

If using pex above the slab or floor, 20' straight runs look the best.When running it under the slab I like to use conduit to tie it to, the coduit will easily brake off at the slab later if in the way.

Comment

Why bother to straighten it? As soon as hot water hits it, it will look like a snake in the grass anyway. Just string the crap like spaghetti and be done with it. If you wanted something that worked properly, lasts for years, does not restrict water flow, has had zero lawsuits filed against it and looks good, you would have stuck with copper.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Why bother to straighten it? As soon as hot water hits it, it will look like a snake in the grass anyway. Just string the crap like spaghetti and be done with it. If you wanted something that worked properly, lasts for years, does not restrict water flow, has had zero lawsuits filed against it and looks good, you would have stuck with copper.

what about all the lawsuits arising out of pin hole leaks. all the repairs i've done with copper worn to the point of tin foil that turns into pin holes.

and not to mention the cost of copper compared to pex. who's going to steal pex when they have copper they can sell for scrap?

i believe that pex is the material of the future. it's all over europe and even california allows it's use now.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I believe that pex, along with a host of other get it done fast, cheap and easy are responsible for the downfall of the plumbing trade, the dumbing down of the profession, the allowing of contractors and consumers to dictate to us plumbing contractors the prices that we can charge and the rapid rise of dangerous and deadly backflow accidents, gas explosions and shoddy, unsafe and non code compliant plumbing installations.

Here's my list of products that are killing the trade

Pex
                    Csst
                    AAV's
                    Sharkbites
                    Flex Supplies
                    Press Fittings
                    Plastic pipe Hangers

These products are indeed the "future" of plumbing. They are the future because we licensed plumbers are willing to be told by consumers that they would prefer to use crap and pay a lot less than use quality and pay more. So... now we reach the point where even if you want to use quality materials you can't because you have to stay competitive with every other station wagon plumber in your town that is more than willing to install the cheapest crap he can find so that he can under cut everyone else and since the homeowner doesn't care about anything other than price, he gets away with it. You can't defend this. You can try to justify it, but nobody can reasonably defend the use of these products. Back when PVC was introduced a whole lot of plumbers said that plastic would be the down fall of the plumbing trade. It has taken longer than they thought it would, but in the end they were right. If you take a look at comparable wages and costs for the pre pvc period and compare it with wages and costs post pvc the results are startling. The national average salary for master plumbers is about $ 44,000.00 When you index that against what comparable wages were for plumbers pre plastics it is clearly evident that cheap, fast and easy has been no benefit to the plumbing trade. Unfortunately though, the gate is open and there is no going back. Now, to stay solvent, we work longer hours and diversify our businesses to take up the slack, while wages remain fairly constant. Research the number of plumbing apprentices entering the trade and compare it with numbers from 30 years ago. They are in a steep decline. Furthermore, look into the level of skills required of apprentice and journeymen 30 years ago and compare them with what is expected of them now. In 10 years there won't be anybody that even remembers how to pour lead or properly size water supply. When any homeowner can run down to Lowe's, grab a roll of pex and a handful of sharkbite fittings and then cut into his water supply piping to run a line to god knows what and potentially cause a back or cross flow situation that could cause an entire neighborhood to get sick, I think it's time to start thinking about the choices we have made.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

you posted everything that bothers you about new products. but you forgot to answer the zero lawsuits you mentioned and that it last for years.

amazing that i have 55 gal. drums of scrap copper due to leaks, sitting at my shop.

unfortunately i have to replace it with new copper as we can't run plastics in the exposed garages.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with most of what NH said. Too bad though there is nothing us plumbers can do to stop all the crap that is coming out. Lowe's and Home Depot are destroying are trade. Why call a plumber when you got all you need at Lowes?
                        Will Rogers Plumbing
                        Moore, Oklahoma
                        (
                        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          [/B]

you posted everything that bothers you about new products. but you forgot to answer the zero lawsuits you mentioned and that it last for years.

amazing that i have 55 gal. drums of scrap copper due to leaks, sitting at my shop.

unfortunately i have to replace it with new copper as we can't run plastics in the exposed garages.

rick.

Woops. my bad. sorry, I climbed on the soap box too soon.

OK, copper and lawsuits. Indeed there have been suits brought against the various copper manufacturers but.... no damages have ever been paid because in 99.9% of those cases brought, there were other factors involved in the failure of the pipe. Things like bad installation practices wherein the installer failed to properly reem the pipe theryby causing an upset in the flow that caused premature wear. Another common cause is water that has alkalinity or acidity in amounts greater than the pipes ability to withstand it. If you log on to the copper institutes web site you can read the whole history of copper pipe and many many other interesting things about copper pipe also. BTW Rick, I would think a Pro Press fan like you would be defending copper to the max
                          sigpic

Comment

Has anyone even considered what it is going to be like, dealing with 25 year old PEX when that day comes?

Won't be able to crimp it, it'll probably lose it's outside diameter to the constant shrinking and expanding.

And how are you going to be able to recrimp a male adapter that was put on a hot/cold line to a shower valve, in a 4-3/4" hole.

You don't.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've considered it. We will all be doing re-pipes, only this time will will be replacing pex with copper.
                              Will Rogers Plumbing
                              Moore, Oklahoma
                              (
                              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Working...
                              X