Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Worker Looking For An Opportunity!!!

Hi guys my name is Geordie im pretty new to the whole forum idea but the reason im blogging is cause im desperate to find an apprenticeship in the plumbing industrie. I left my job as pest control tech in Feb of this year to seek out a career in plumbing, ive recently just completed a 6month pre-vocational stage1 course in plumbing at Skills Tech TAFE Eagle Farm, Brisbane and as part of the course I also completed 200 hours of unpaid work experience with a licensed plumber which i thoroughly enjoyed. We were warned at the time during our plumbing course that it would be a hard industrie to break into due to the whole economy in termoil. I'm 28 years old and was also told my age was going to have a big factor on weather I get an appreticeship or not, I have been telling every plumber I talked to I was willing to go a junior wage just to secure that job but unfortunately companies could not do that. I beg please point me in the right direction I'm a hard worker and no stranger to getting my hands dirty, I live in Brisbane and even if a plumber could use me as a labourer just anything to get my foot in the door. Last of all just want to say thanks for having a read of my thread and hope you all have a good day!
    Last edited by geojnr; 12-08-2010, 10:25 PM.

Re: Hard Worker Looking For An Opportunity!!!

Just My 2 cents, and welcome aboard. From what You just told us, I KNOW You will succeed. I am not in a position to hire anyone at this time , and do not have a plumbing Buss. Best of Luck Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

if you were in los angeles i would give you a run. sounds like you're committed to the trade. i like it

not sure where bill is or how close you're to the jetters edge, but if he reads this, i think he'll also like your positive attitude in the trade

keep your fingers crossed.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

You worked 200 hr unpaid and enjoyed it?

Just hang on... Tool's right; it'll come.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Re: Looking For My Big Break!!!

Originally posted by geojnr View Post
          Hi guys my name is Geordie im pretty new to the whole forum idea but the reason im blogging is cause im desperate to find an apprenticeship in the plumbing industrie. I left my job as pest control tech in Feb of this year to seek out a career in plumbing, ive recently just completed a 6month pre-vocational stage1 course in plumbing at Skills Tech TAFE Eagle Farm, Brisbane and as part of the course I also completed 200 hours of unpaid work experience with a licensed plumber which i thoroughly enjoyed. We were warned at the time during our plumbing course that it would be a hard industrie to break into due to the whole economy in termoil. I'm 28 years old and was also told my age was going to have a big factor on weather I get an appreticeship or not, I have been telling every plumber I talked to I was willing to go a junior wage just to secure that job but unfortunately companies could not do that. I beg please point me in the right direction I'm a hard worker and no stranger to getting my hands dirty, I live in Brisbane and even if a plumber could use me as a labourer just anything to get my foot in the door. Last of all just want to say thanks for having a read of my thread and hope you all have a good day!
          I`m sorry but I would stick at what you are good at pest control as no one I know would hire a 28 year old apprentice as they want a much younger person to mould into the trade and a person younger than them and your age and our labour laws regarding how much to pay a 28 year old first second and third year apprentice you are your biggest hurdles.

Tony

Comment

I don't understand giving away 200 hours of sweat for nothing but the experience. Was that supposed to be what you were paid for your labor, knowledge?

Those types of 'Apprenticeships' went out years ago. Actually it seem to fit better into the definition of indentured servant than apprentice or helper.

Don't sell yourself short, even if you don't know the trade. Your labor still has worth; you should get something for it.

Now if the plumber wanted to try you out for a week to size you up I think that would be acceptable but not for free, at some reduced rate (for that first week only), but not for free.

If it were me I'd give him one day on the job for free...maybe. If he couldn't decide if I was worth taking on or not after 8 hours then you're not likely to learn much from him anyway, so it would be in both your best interests for you to seek someone better suited to mentoring you.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

let me get this straight. you have to pay older workers more. if that is the case mould ain't got anything to do with it. only more mold in your billfold. breid..................

Comment

Geo, shrug off the NAY SAYERS ,and GO FOR IT ! Good Luck
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Sounds like you would make a great employee. I wish you much success in plumbing.

Comment

You got laws that you have to pay someone more just because they are old?? You would be waiting 'til hell freezes over for a job, if they had that kind of rule up here! No one would ever hire you! But I am sure that if you write to our commie president obama, he would try to intervene on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                      You got laws that you have to pay someone more just because they are old?? You would be waiting 'til hell freezes over for a job, if they had that kind of rule up here! No one would ever hire you! But I am sure that if you write to our commie president obama, he would try to intervene on your behalf.
                      I'll be 68 next month , Move over, I need the $$$$$

Comment

i'm 66. i'm younger than tool. hire me, think of the money you would save. in all seriousness it doesn't sound like anyone in matilda land is going to hire him at 28. emigrate. what a deal. if you were to do that here you would be called a fascist commie nazi. no punctuation or spell check required. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                          i'm 66. i'm younger than tool. hire me, think of the money you would save. in all seriousness it doesn't sound like anyone in matilda land is going to hire him at 28. emigrate. what a deal. if you were to do that here you would be called a fascist commie nazi. no punctuation or spell check required. breid.............
                          And at what age did you start your apprenticeship

Tony

Comment

Re: Looking For My Big Break!!!

Originally posted by geojnr View Post
                            It's hard to believe that at 28 people think someone is too old to pick up a new trade. If you happen to move to Minnesota give me a call. I would be willing to give you a try. First we would have you work 200 hours free to see if you really like plumbing.

Baaaaad joke. I can't believe someone would have someone else work five weeks for nothing. That seems incredibly mercenary.

Just to be fair, if you do happen to move to Minnesota (also known as the Frozen Hinterland) AND you like plumbing, then I might require a **psych evaluation prior to hiring you because something is clearly wrong. I was born here, that's my excuse.

Geordie no matter what you should do your best to meet your aspirations. Persistance and a positive attitude will go a long way toward your success. As far as I know we get one shot at life so you should do what you can to make your life happy. If plumbing will help that dream then refer to ** above.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                              You must have a basic wage (salary) in the US don`t you that an employer has to pay their employees ???

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X