Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard Worker Looking For An Opportunity!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geojnr
    started a topic Hard Worker Looking For An Opportunity!!!

Hard Worker Looking For An Opportunity!!!

Hi guys my name is Geordie im pretty new to the whole forum idea but the reason im blogging is cause im desperate to find an apprenticeship in the plumbing industrie. I left my job as pest control tech in Feb of this year to seek out a career in plumbing, ive recently just completed a 6month pre-vocational stage1 course in plumbing at Skills Tech TAFE Eagle Farm, Brisbane and as part of the course I also completed 200 hours of unpaid work experience with a licensed plumber which i thoroughly enjoyed. We were warned at the time during our plumbing course that it would be a hard industrie to break into due to the whole economy in termoil. I'm 28 years old and was also told my age was going to have a big factor on weather I get an appreticeship or not, I have been telling every plumber I talked to I was willing to go a junior wage just to secure that job but unfortunately companies could not do that. I beg please point me in the right direction I'm a hard worker and no stranger to getting my hands dirty, I live in Brisbane and even if a plumber could use me as a labourer just anything to get my foot in the door. Last of all just want to say thanks for having a read of my thread and hope you all have a good day!
    Last edited by geojnr; 12-08-2010, 09:25 PM.

• leakfree
    replied
    Re: Hard Worker Looking For An Opportunity!!!

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    All truth in this mans post I like it.

Just my personal experience,and not based on just one app.,I've had many with me over the years.The 20 yr. old with ambition and drive is rare and far between,but there have been a few.

Leave a comment:

• AFM
    replied

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
    it appears that amf likes younger guys better. ain't got nothing to do with money or unions. breid.............

Well we wouldn`t be having this conversation if Geodie had got a plumbing apprenticeship at 28 I`m just telling you the way it is and you don`t like the truth I was watching a current affairs program here and this 52 year old exec has been turned down on around 400 jobs he has applied for and the reason is his age and others have said once your past 40 and you don`t have a skill like we have in plumbing then your a has been and that is not my view its societies view.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• TheMaster
    replied

Originally posted by leakfree View Post
    I've had 20 yr. old app. and 30 yr. old app,I'll take the 30 year old any day,seems the head is screwed on better and tighter.The 30 year old doesn't live with mommy,has bills,maybe a wife and kids,shows up 5 days a week with a clear head ready to work and in my experience a better all around worker that can make my life easier.
    All truth in this mans post I like it.

Leave a comment:

• breid1903
    replied

it appears that amf likes younger guys better. ain't got nothing to do with money or unions. breid.............

Leave a comment:

• JERRYMAC
    replied

Originally posted by leakfree View Post
    I've had 20 yr. old app. and 30 yr. old app,I'll take the 30 year old any day,seems the head is screwed on better and tighter.The 30 year old doesn't live with mommy,has bills,maybe a wife and kids,shows up 5 days a week with a clear head ready to work and in my experience a better all around worker that can make my life easier.

SAME HERE ON THE SERVICE SIDE !

ONE PLACE I WORKED I WAS ONE OF THE FEW WHO GOT PAID ON FRIDAY
    NIGHT THE SINGLE GUYS ALL GOT THEIR PAY ON SAT, BECAUSE AS THE BOSS SAID I HAD A FAMILY TO FEED !
    THE OTHER YOUNG GUYS WANTED THEIR PAYCHECKS TO PARTY AND COULD
    OTHERWISE NOT SHOW UP FOR WORK ON SAT'S IF THEY GOT PAID FRI'S

Leave a comment:

• leakfree
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AFM
    replied

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
    afm. i'm missing something here. what is the difference between an 28 year old and an 18 year old? why is 28 years old a threat to society. at first i though you had to pay them more than an 18 year old. but if understand you that is not true. how would the unions sneak up on you. ps, i'm non union. breid.....................
    I will try to explain for the last time if I was going to hire an apprentice I would hire an 18 year old not a 28 year old, as far as unions go if you work in the commercial or industrial area then you have to deal with them and pay the penalty

Tony

Leave a comment:

• AFM
    replied

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    kind of like the time i was stranded in melbourne 1990 when they welded the rail cars to the tracks

nothing like trying to go from flinders park to bright to go parapenting with no train

rick.
    I am beginning to think Rick that your are not happy with you present citizenship as you are always thinking its better on the other side of the hill and quite frankly Rick it is and quess what we have moving trams in 2010

Tony

Leave a comment:

• breid1903
    replied

afm. i'm missing something here. what is the difference between an 28 year old and an 18 year old? why is 28 years old a threat to society. at first i though you had to pay them more than an 18 year old. but if understand you that is not true. how would the unions sneak up on you. ps, i'm non union. breid.....................

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

kind of like the time i was stranded in melbourne 1990 when they welded the rail cars to the tracks

nothing like trying to go from flinders park to bright to go parapenting with no train

rick.

Leave a comment:

• AFM
    replied

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    Is that for anyone? The impression I got from the thread was that because the OP is 28 it would be higher than someone younger.
    Whether your young or old the minimum you have to be payed by law is $569.90 for a 38 hour week now this does not apply for apprentices as a first year get around $313.00, a second year gets around $412.00, a third year around $545.00 and a forth year around $645.00 plus sick leave annual leave supperannuation long service leave etc etc etc etc and this is why an employer is going to think long and hard whether to take on a four year commitment of an apprentice and at 28 years old it could be a mine field as our unions over here are from the old school and will strike at the drop of a hat and take any unsuspecting employer to the cleaners.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• cpw
    replied

Originally posted by AFM View Post
    The basic or minimum wage here is $569.90 for a 38 hour week or $15.00 per hour.

Tony
    Is that for anyone? The impression I got from the thread was that because the OP is 28 it would be higher than someone younger.

Leave a comment:

• Bob D.
    replied

Originally posted by AFM View Post
    The basic or minimum wage here is $569.90 for a 38 hour week or $15.00 per hour.

Tony
    Wow, that is roughly double our minimum wage.

Leave a comment:

• idlplumb
    replied

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    need a helper tony

have k-60 will travel

throw in a shake on fridays and i'm there

rick.
    I'm beginning to think you have a big suitcase packed and ready to go next to your front door at all times...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X